ok so in the past month i have tried various guitars at guitar center took them each home for a test in my situation,ibanez ex 160(from 1994),epiphone sg special and the g 400,ibanez rg2ex2,ibanez rg3ex1

all these guitars can be bought for 300 and under and though the next on the ibanez ex160 was simply amazing,the best of this lot was the ibanez rg3ex1.the rg2ex2 the volume knob is to close to the pickup hinders speed picking.in the rg3ex1 they moved it away a quarter inch or so a world of difference.the dean vendetta and evos that can be had for 200 roughly,they feel like crap.have no weight to them and felt like it was going to fall apart just touching it.it truly feels hollow.the tuners on the sg's were unreliable at best and the pickups muddy crap.

i see many posts from people asking what guitar to get for limited budget i say get either the rg2ex2 or spend an extra 50 dollars for the rg3ex1.the tuners turn nicely they dont seem to slip any.it is string through(good for sustain)the emg designed pickups are honestly very good,though i will put evolutions in mine.the quilted finish and shark fin inlays will make people think you are playing a more high priced guitar than you really are.the only true complaint i have is with the quilt finish you can see how many pieces of wood the body is made out of.not a big issue for me but for some it is.the embossed ibanez logo is a nice touch also.this guitar imo is truly a fine peice of work for the price you will pay.
agreed.
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
The RG3EX1 is pretty without a doubt, but I think it's too much for the money, and the finish is prone to tons of fingerprints. I'd recommend a RG2EX1 (is the EX2 a revision?), Schecter Omen, Epiphone G-400, or even an Agathis ESP (the tone isn't godawful, just not as clear) if money's tight and you like to Shred/rock. For jazz, look into the ESP Xtone or Ibanez Artcore.

And if you want country, get a banjo...
i have an rg3ex1 and if you ask me... i'd say its awesome

only disappointment was its pickups.. i swapped them out
I see no sign of fortress.
The 2EX and 3EX are essentially the same with an obvious cosmetic difference of a figured top on the 3. If that's worth a fifty to you, then why not go for it.

Although, you mentioned that the knob on the 2 is closer to the pickup than on the 3. You sure about that? I'm willing to bet my lunch money that both bodies are absolutely the same as far as routing goes.

Whichever you pick, both are well worth the price.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Good to hear that the Ibanez RG2 series is getting some positive feedback, that was actually the one I was considering buying next .
i like those, i got the 4EX1, which is basically the 3EX1 with the Edge Trem

i got lucky enough to get a one piece body
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The RG3EX1 is pretty without a doubt, but I think it's too much for the money, and the finish is prone to tons of fingerprints. I'd recommend a RG2EX1 (is the EX2 a revision?), Schecter Omen, Epiphone G-400, or even an Agathis ESP (the tone isn't godawful, just not as clear) if money's tight and you like to Shred/rock. For jazz, look into the ESP Xtone or Ibanez Artcore.

And if you want country, get a banjo...

i had the g-400 tuners were sketchy to me.i spent most of my time tuning and the pickups were horrible.i dont know about the rg2ex1 but the rg2ex2 is a guitar center only guitar i believe.

Quote by pifty
The 2EX and 3EX are essentially the same with an obvious cosmetic difference of a figured top on the 3. If that's worth a fifty to you, then why not go for it.

Although, you mentioned that the knob on the 2 is closer to the pickup than on the 3. You sure about that? I'm willing to bet my lunch money that both bodies are absolutely the same as far as routing goes.

Whichever you pick, both are well worth the price.

the rg2ex2 is basswood and the rg3ex1 is ash.or so i read searching the internet let me know if i am incorrect.yes the volume know is further away i had both guitars sitting side by side to verify.theres also an inlay difference the 2 had dots and the 3 has shark fins and of course the obvious finish difference.all this is worth the 50 extra dollars i think.
Last edited by sidereal9 at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by sidereal9
the rg2ex2 is basswood and the rg3ex1 is ash.or so i read searching the internet let me know if i am incorrect.yes the volume know is further away i had both guitars sitting side by side to verify.theres also an inlay difference the 2 had dots and the 3 has shark fins and of course the obvious finish difference.all this is worth the 50 extra dollars i think.

Eh, they're both basswood, I'll give you that, despite of what some online shops say. I just find it really strange that the knobs are positioned differently on two RG bodies that came off the same assembly line. I've played RGs from the 80s, 90s, modern ones, and they all had identical controls (or similar to a point where I wouldn't notice, and an RG is my main guitar, so I should notice)... The only thing I can think of is that one of the guitars you had was a factory fluke.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
well the thing is i had read other reviews after getting my ibanez rg2ex2,that mentioned to volume knob being really close to the pick to where it kind of gets in the way of speed picking.i agree with you one might be further away on accident,when i returned the rg2 for the rg3 the rg3 was like a quarter inch distance further from the pickup than the rg2.

this may well be a factory fluke i will go back to the store this week and see if the rg2 will be there and i believe they have another rg3 also(but) if the three was released after the 2 had been released they may have received enough complaints to move it just a tad,what do you think?

musicians friend has the rg3 listed as ash?are ash and basswood the same thing?or is musicians friend trying to be shady?
Quote by sidereal9
well the thing is i had read other reviews after getting my ibanez rg2ex2,that mentioned to volume knob being really close to the pick to where it kind of gets in the way of speed picking.i agree with you one might be further away on accident,when i returned the rg2 for the rg3 the rg3 was like a quarter inch distance further from the pickup than the rg2.

this may well be a factory fluke i will go back to the store this week and see if the rg2 will be there and i believe they have another rg3 also(but) if the three was released after the 2 had been released they may have received enough complaints to move it just a tad,what do you think?
See, the RG body has been the same without changes for twenty years. My '91 570 has identical control locations to a '04 170 that I used to have. They have to be the same, ideally, and if they're different then it's definitely a one-off thing. Lookie, I even took stock pics of both from MF for comparison (420kb gif):

There we can see that all controls line up perfectly - bridge, pups, knobs.

Quote by sidereal9
musicians friend has the rg3 listed as ash?are ash and basswood the same thing?or is musicians friend trying to be shady?
Ash and Basswood are radically different. Ash is a brighter wood than even alder, and Ibanez doesn't really make ash guitars (aside from the high-end RGT series). The RG3EX1 is definitely basswood, just look at the grain on the back. Smooth basswoody texture. Ash has a very pronounced grain, and if it was ash, you'd see it right away. I don't know why MF lists it as ash (or why just about every other online store copies their specs word to word), but it ain't no ash if you ask me.
nice comparison so now i have to wonder if the rg3 i have is the correct distance or is mine the fluke,can u give me the distance from the bottom of pickup to top of tone knob in inches so i can compare?this has me very interested lol.does yours get in the way of fast picking?i am thinking it was the rg2 that was incorrect.

the woodgrain is a bit different than the carvin swamp ash i had so probably not ash since all others are basswood.i have even seen sites saying that it is mahogany which it obviously isnt.as an extra point of interest guitar center lists it as ash too,but musicians and center are owned by the same company so who know's i think i will have to go to ibanez for the definitive answer on this one.

thanks for the back and forth lol it pisses me off when sites cant get thier stuff listed properly.thanks again for the useful info....but regardless is a damn good guitar for 350 imo which was the original topic of the thread
^ no problem man

I'll measure the distance on mine in the evening and get back to you on that. Can't do now since I don't bring my guitar to work. Well, not that guitar.

Actually, the mahogany idea is so much more likely than ash, since Ibanez makes the mahogany RG321 - which is essentially the same guitar as 3EX1, only again without the quilted top.
damnit lol so then mahogany or agathis?they still have not emailed me back maybe next month they will
Agathis? Lawl that's not even in the discussion I'd bet it's basswood. I highly doubt it's ash, and since most RGs are baswood...ya know The RG321 is just a freak

Edit: I don't have anything to measure with at hand, but you can take a look at the pictures of my guitar and see if it looks like yours. I dunno if that will help any
yeah this is pissing me off now i have found this same discussion in various forums some leaning more to basswood some more to ash,some cheap ash from asia do not remember the name..either way i like the guitar for sure just would like to know the proper wood.
Quote by sidereal9
damnit lol so then mahogany or agathis?they still have not emailed me back maybe next month they will
Basswood, man. Basswood.

Also, it's exactly one inch from the edge of the pickup ring down to the volume knob on mine.
on mine from the edge of the pickup ring to the volume it is a smidge over a half an inch and from the edge of the pickup to the volume it is an inch.now to go measure the one at the store cause i am damn sure it was closer than that
Quote by sidereal9
on mine from the edge of the pickup ring to the volume it is a smidge over a half an inch and from the edge of the pickup to the volume it is an inch.now to go measure the one at the store cause i am damn sure it was closer than that
Whoa whoa. You mean the distance I marked here is half an inch?

yes,,,hmm lets see my half inch measurement is from the bottom of the ring to the top of the knob.my inch measurement is from the top of the ring(butted up against the pickup to the top of the knob....now if i measure from the bottom of the ring to the middle of the volume knob it is an inch depends which way you did your measurement
Quote by sidereal9
yes,,,hmm lets see my half inch measurement is from the bottom of the ring to the top of the knob.my inch measurement is from the top of the ring(butted up against the pickup to the top of the knob....now if i measure from the bottom of the ring to the middle of the volume knob it is an inch depends which way you did your measurement

I took the knob off, and measured from the bottom of the ring to the center of the pot shaft - your measure is an inch there as well. So sounds about right.
yeah so mine and yours are the same i will check the other one out this weekend i think and walk in measure it and walk out should get some fun looks.....oh wait nobody at guitar center pays attention to you anyways..i cant wait til i have the money to buy a really nice guitar walk in be ignored show them the cash then head to the next guitar store