Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar for myself (solid body) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I'm currently using an Ibanez acoustic electric (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AEL20E-AcousticElectric-Guitar-with-Onboard-Tuner?sku=519998). I'm lookin at the $200-$300 range. I'm a hobbyist, I'm not in any band so i don't need anything top-of-the-line, but I do want a decent guitar to learn how to shred and play metal (I want to learn Joe Satriani songs). I was looking at this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

but I was wondering if anyone had any personal recommendations for this price range. Thanks in advance .
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
I do like the more expensive Ibanez electrics, but I'm a Gibson man myself. The Ibanez looks pretty sweet though. If I was looking in that price range I would look at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard for about $399.00. If you get one of those then later on you can put Gibson pickups and stuff in it. If you want to stick with Ibanez the one your looking at looks pretty good though.
just get a strat or les paul copy (epiphone)
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
Quote by saad_nirvana
just get a strat or les paul copy (epiphone)

NO! Don't listen to this guy. Try to be a little bit original. Besides, those guitars are not designed for shred or metal.
Get RG Series Ibanez's. I played a strat for a very long time and i just bought an ibanez rgt42fm and i'm never going back.

They have nice thin necks, a tone that I like, and the floating tremolo's are too much fun to handle! and they look basically like teh sex-c lawls.
Quote by dutch5367
Def. not a strat unless you want to play blues or something like that.

not exactly...ok,so they can't handle metal but some fenders come with humbuckers and they can handle quite a handfull of distortion