I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone know bands or artists who have a similar style as Iron and Wine or Owen?

Solo acoustic fingerpicking/strumming with words sung at the same time.
I'm so sorry, but when I read the title of your post, I thought it would be about fingerpicking with a bottle of wine to hand, which is something I do most free evenings. Particularly since many wines are famous for their iron content.

But... erm... no, I don't know the band or artists your refer to. But I sing and fingerpick at the same time - except when I'm drinking wine - and I commend my humble efforts to you.
Quote by Dave Keir
I'm so sorry, but when I read the title of your post, I thought it would be about fingerpicking with a bottle of wine to hand, which is something I do most free evenings. Particularly since many wines are famous for their iron content.

But... erm... no, I don't know the band or artists your refer to. But I sing and fingerpick at the same time - except when I'm drinking wine - and I commend my humble efforts to you.

wtf?
I don't know much about Elliot Smith, but I do know The Biggest Lie is fingerpicked and it's pretty similar to Iron and Wine.

On another note, when I saw Immaculate Machine a few months ago, their guitarist played a little simple solo with the beer bottle in his left hand.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
sSyLc and Satch both gave great suggestions. A lot of Elliott Smith has fingerpicking. Try "Thirteen" - it's a great song. Nick Drake was a master guitarist in my opinion, beautiful haunting lyrics with matching music. His 'Pink Moon' album is mostly (maybe all, can't recall) acoustic. Check that out.
Can you mention some Nick Drake songs in standard tuning please.
Are you reelin' in the years?
Quote by Dave Keir

yeah, definitely elliott smith and nick drake. you might also want to check out damien jurado. he's done some pretty good records. ghost of david is a great mellow acoustic record and on my way to absence is a little more electric but with a similar tone and attitude to what you're looking for. i prefer on my way to absence but ghost of david is a great start.

edit: but don't expect to see him live very often, he rarely tours. i've heard he's a kindergarten teacher by day.
Quote by Satch_Boogie
As far as I know, there isnt a single one

The mans well known for using the most obscure tunings ever.

That's no fun. I've been listening to him for about a year now and am intrigued by his art. I did a quick skim on his tab page on this site and most of the songs were in alt. tunings.

Either way, when uni is finished for me, I think i'll practice finger-picking.
Are you reelin' in the years?
Rocky Votolato has some good fingerpicking stuff, as well as some other amazing guitar stuff. He's a singer/songwriter, and one of my favorites. I can rec. some songs for you if you want.
Wow. In almost unrelated news, I saw Damien Jurado opening for Okkervil River Thursday. I had no idea it was such a rare thing. I wasn't too impressed, though. Okkervil was great, but Damien sounded like a slightly washed-out Springsteen... the songwriting was pretty uninspiring.

All that said, Nick Drake is a great choice.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.