Hello All.

Yes, I understand that I will get flamed, reported, closed and banned, but I had a thought about MTV.

Let's start with some facts:
I'm in Switzerland. I recieve the German and French MTV's. I have never seen the American one. We also get loads of stupid reality shows and very few music videos.

In the rare event of a music video, although their playlist for the week consists of about 40 songs (not that many), about 10 of them remain unplayed for over a month. Whereas another 10 are played over and over and over and over and you get the idea.

Even Justin Timberlake said that MTV should play more videos. Do you think his opinion will make a difference?

I have also noticed the clear hip-hop bias in these videos. I'd say about 3/4 of all vids played fall into the Hip Hop or RnB category. This is what MTV refers to as "Urban". Besides the Kaiser Chief's song "Ruby", which is old by now, MTV hardly, if ever, plays rock music.

Rock is by no means less popular than hip hop! But why won't MTV play it?
Could it be that there just ISN'T ENOUGH?

But on the other hand, there are stacks of indie, emo, metal and hardcore bands these days. Why can't they play those? I'm sure at least some of them would enjoy the public exposure every once in a while.

Why aren't they played?

Discuss.
There's an MTV thread going on right now.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
MTV has nothing to do with music anymore. I wish it were off the air all together. Its a disgrace, they have ruined both music and the art of music videos.
There are enough rock bands.
MTV just knows that every hip hop artist gets dusty fast, so they all the time change them, making more money that way.
If you wanna make money, play hip hop. If you wanna stream music, play about every genre except hip hop.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don't like hip hop either. People tell me to stop hating it, but it's not like I have a choice. I'm allowed an opinion.

Besides, it's pretty ****ing annoying cos it's the only thing that's ever played.'

I refuse to accept Kanye West as a 'rock star'
Because their target audience of 13-26 year old females prefer that type of entertainment.

Same reason they don't play Megadeth on BET.
Kaiser Chiefs =/= Rock music
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Megadeth on BET lol

Anyway I never see Music vids on MTV anymore it's all Laguna Beach and The Hills. Which is fake but the dimwits at school think its all real. MTV=bad
I don't know if Headbanger's Ball still comes on but i loved that show. It may still come on MTV2? maybe?
I don't have MTV 2 and I've never heard of Headbanger's ball.

And I know Kaiser Chiefs aren't exactly rock, but they're certainly rock-ier than, say, the Fratellis, or Kanye West for that matter.

Besides, MTV doesn't care. Anything played on guitars = rock to them.

Coldplay were nominated for Best Rock at the Europe Music Awards once. That was the only time in my life I thought about suicide.

I'm not expecting Megadeth (although "Peace Sells" was an MTV favorite when it first came out!), but something like The Answer surely wouldn't hurt anyone. 5 years ago, they played SUm 41, Jet and The Darkness, and I like all of those. Now, there's nothing left of them.
Headbangers Ball or something similar might be on VH1C

And I can't stand MTV, like most people here. It's more about the youth culture than the music they listen to, but every generation's culture is inexorably connected to music. Unfortunately the quality of that music determines the "quality" of that culture and vice versa.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
Headbangers Ball or something similar might be on VH1C

And I can't stand MTV, like most people here. It's more about the youth culture than the music they listen to, but every generation's culture is inexorably connected to music. Unfortunately the quality of that music determines the "quality" of that culture and vice versa.

Well, I'm sure most of UG likes music outside of the MTV realm. Not to mention all the people who aren't UGers who don't like MTV.

I estimate that's a few million teenagers. They don't mean anyhting. A few million is just another number. Not something to be concerned about. All teenagers are stupid, spoilt kids. Either that or glue sniffing shop lifters. They all are. Without exception. Obviously.

Duh.

I don't consider myself as "part of today's culture". I'm an individual and proud. I don't deliberately avoid trends, but I've noticed that there are few that I follow. If any.
Media TeleVision in steda of Musiv TeleVision.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
Quote by sashki
Well, I'm sure most of UG likes music outside of the MTV realm. Not to mention all the people who aren't UGers who don't like MTV.

I estimate that's a few million teenagers. They don't mean anyhting. A few million is just another number. Not something to be concerned about. All teenagers are stupid, spoilt kids. Either that or glue sniffing shop lifters. They all are. Without exception. Obviously.

Duh.

I don't consider myself as "part of today's culture". I'm an individual and proud. I don't deliberately avoid trends, but I've noticed that there are few that I follow. If any.

Unfortunately the loud minority defines the quiet majority all too often.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
Quote by Hexagram
I don't know if Headbanger's Ball still comes on but i loved that show. It may still come on MTV2? maybe?
yea headbangers ball is decent...it's on MTV2 11 p.m.- 1 a.m. on saturday nights
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by sashki
Am I the loud minority? Or the MTV viewers?

MTV viewers. I thought your point was that not as many people as we think watch and accept MTV culture.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
MTV viewers. I thought your point was that not as many people as we think watch and accept MTV culture.

Not really. I find it hard to believe that MTV viewers are the majority, but it feels like the rest are a minority.

I'm just saying that there's actually a damn lot of people who don't like it. In fact, I don't know anyone who does. It must really suck, then
Quote by sashki
Not really. I find it hard to believe that MTV viewers are the majority, but it feels like the rest are a minority.

I'm just saying that there's actually a damn lot of people who don't like it. In fact, I don't know anyone who does. It must really suck, then

There's misunderstanding here...I don't think they're the majority either. I agree with you.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~