I noticed a while ago that on some days my guitar seemed to sound better than others. At first I thought this was all in my head, but then I noticed something. The old cables I am using, have got worn out. By twisting them around it altered the sound.

Anyway, I noticed that when all of the signal was getting through (it was at its loudest so I assume it was working as it was designed to at this point), it sounded ok, but by twisting it round, it sounded like I could alter the sound, from the OK sounding full signal to a really flat, quiet, sterile sound.

Anyway, I have found a 'sweet spot', where my guitar sounds far better, although it is between these two points.

Obviously this is not entirely practical to fiddle around with the cables to try and acheive this, then hope they do not move. What could the cable be doing to the sound to make it sound like this, and is there anyway I can recreate this in a pedal, etc?

(oh btw, I should also mention that this tone sounds best when using distortion).
If you get a new cable it should do that. If it is working and a good cable it will transmit sound really nicely like that all of the time
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
this makes no sense. you wan't to recreate the sound of a broken cable on a pedal?! fair enough, buy a pedal with a "bit reducer" but in all fairness, can i just ask why you didn't change the bloody cable when you found out it was broken?
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Yes I know it sounds like that, but it sounds like it is at its best when most of, but not all of the signal is getting through.

Although if I do just need a new cable, sorry for being an idiot lol
Get a new cable and coil it properly when you put it away. If you're careless with cable, it becomes twisted inside and wires start to snap.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Your signature appears to have incorrect grammar used. You might want to fix that.
Quote by s.r.v.
Your signature appears to have incorrect grammar used. You might want to fix that.

I think he did that on purpose....
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
um maybe try a few non-true bypass pedals (like a couple boss's or somesuch) to cut a bit of the top of the signal out?
My guess would be that you're shooting for an extra clear and clean tone, and by having the cable between full power and too thin you've found the cleanest but most full tone possible.

It doesn't sound like you have a cable problem, just an input jack problem; or a combination of both.

You might want to invest in some better cables (I recommend Dimarzio, Planetwaves, and Cobalt Cable) and lower the pickups a bit to decrease the output.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by -February-Star-
Get a new cable and coil it properly when you put it away. If you're careless with cable, it becomes twisted inside and wires start to snap.

you dont read very well.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
yeah a new cable should transmit that all the time, learn how to wind you cable.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Well, if it sounds good, don't change it. But seriously, the cable may give out completely in the heat of a gig
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account