Actually I don't know if this is stupid or not, but.. what's the difference between active and passive picks,ie: the emg 81 and 85 is what i'm wanting, and it says they're active, and some others say passive , i just want to know the difference.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
actives have batteries
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Active pickups require power (batteries) to work, passive ones do not.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Active pickups generally have a built-in or use an onboard pre-amp to boost the volume to levels where it can be heard (without the pre-amp, there's no way you could hear the pickups through your amp). As it's been mentioned, these all require batteries to work.
Passive pickups rely on your strings vibrating and disturbing the pickups magnetic field to produce a AC signal that is picked up and then amplified by your amplifier. They do not require batteries to work - keep in mind that you can add an active pre-amp to a guitar with passive pickups to make it active.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^ unless you rape your tone with distortion.

But yeah, your question was answered already and there isnt' much else to add.
Uhm, usually active pickups just have an on board preamp or eq don't they?
I can run my corvette without a battery, but I have to switch off the preamp to do it.