Hi, my best friend and I have been playing guitar for about 2 years now and are thinking about starting a band, but there is one main problem... I have been taking lessons for those 2 years and learned all kinds of techniques while all he has done is learned how to read tab and pratice songs that he likes all day so therefore his...

-Bends suck
-Vibrato sucks
-Absolutely no knowledge of theory
-Muting sucks
-Tries to sweep but sucks
-Legato sucks
-Phrasing sucks
-Doesn't know how to use a metronome
-Doesn't understand the concept of triplets, sixtuplets, 16th notes, 8th notes, etc.
-Doesn't alternate pick or at least economy pick, still does the beginner's "all downstroke" method.
-Doesn't want to take lessons
-Wants to learn more songs
-Is decent a rhythm but wants to do "trade off" lead guitar soloes with me

EDIT: also when he is playing there is a ****load of open string and unwanted noise so it sounds like ****, but for some reason he doesn't hear all the unwanted noise and thinks his playing sounds good.

So what do I do to convince him that he MUST improve on all of the above in addition to other things before he can play leads or even begin a band??
Last edited by rasuya46 at Oct 2, 2007,
Well, I think you should just sit with him one day and teach him as much that you have learned as you can, that's how me and my band do it, we tell each other new things.
lol well ivebee playi almost two years n i no all tha stuff if hes inrested in being guitarist anddd musician he shud learn that stuff n hw an u suk at bends?n how can he stil boing downstrokesthts sad y dont u b a good friend n help him out with that stuff i did that with my bestfriend n hes improvin fast
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
he's lost. He must learn this :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
lol well ivebee playi almost two years n i no all tha stuff if hes inrested in being guitarist anddd musician he shud learn that stuff n hw an u suk at bends?n how can he stil boing downstrokesthts sad y dont u b a good friend n help him out with that stuff i did that with my bestfriend n hes improvin fast

Well when he bends he adds no vibrato to the bend at all and when there is like 6 bends in a row he thinks you are supposed to bend once, then hold it, and hit the bent note 5 more times, but then that would be 1 bend and then 5 prebends. In addition, he thinks .12 strings are "cool" because they have a "heavy" sound but when he tries to bend them he doesn't even get close to a full bend.
do some trade-off solos. have him realize he sux, and ur better than he is. then u can teach him a lotta stuff.
um, well, i would say first off this probably should be in bandleading.... secondly don't force him, if he sounds awful, let him sound awful. if you don't tell him he sucks someone else will eventually. try to get him to go to a teacher, a teacher will probably tell him tactfully that he sucks and will show him what to practice and how to practice it (although stuff like bends and vibratos i just don't understand how you can screw those up) i think honestly after 2 years, he prolly knows a little theory though he might not know what the names of the stuff is. also i wonder if you're giving him a little hell and subsequently how good you are as well.
record him playing a song, then play it back to him an hour or two later, he'll know it's awful.
-Have an intervention.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Until he realizes, you're hopeless, try showing him the right way of bending, theory and such. Assuming he only plays power chords, try making him run chromatic scales without the abuse of only downstrokes (theres absolutely nothing bad with using downstrokes but he should be able to use more than just one picking technique and use the appropriate one in the given situation). I play my guitars in standard with 11-50's strings, theres nothing wrong with them if he can bend his 12's but other than that, it might just slow down his learning process because of the extra strength he has to use to play. I started playing with 10's, broke them every week, starting from the low E and went to a higher end brand of strings in 8's lasted a week, went to Ernie Ball for 11's they lasted up to a month. Now i use GHS they are a little harder to bend in my opinion but the tonal characteristics of the strings suit my style of music and they can easily last me 4 months, although I'll usualy change them each month when gigging. But if he still doesn't try as hard as he should, get another guitar player, he'll probably screw you over in a lack of commitment.

hope this helps

The Long Haired Friend of Jesus
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!