I'm looking for a new guitar, money's no object atm. I really want a les paul styled guitar, I've been playing an Epiphone black beauty for a while and I want a guitar that's going to last me a while. I've decided between either Gibson or Tokai, but I'd like to know what opinions you guys have from experience before I make the decision.

Thanks
If money is no object, get a custom guitar built to your own specifications.

It depends on what Gibson/Tokai, but in probably about 99% of the cases, I'd take Tokai .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i know dave's gonna come in here and say : TOKAI !!

but i believe in the 'only a gibson is good enough' sentence though...
i tried several LP copies and stuff and nothing's as good as the real deal IMO...they may be overpriced, but they'r damn fine guitars.
I've heard wonderful things about the MIJ Tokais, never played one myself though. Which Gibson models were you looking at? If you'll be dropping some money for a Gibson (or any guitar for that matter), do yourself a favor and play it through a decent amp.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I've heard wonderful things about the MIJ Tokais, never played one myself though. Which Gibson models were you looking at? If you'll be dropping some money for a Gibson (or any guitar for that matter), do yourself a favor and play it through a decent amp.

Line 6 Spider III 150w
1: Though shalt not play an expensive guitar through a cheap amp.

first rule in the stickie
new amp first, then the gibson
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Get a new amp first. What don't you like about the Epiphone?

the gold hardware's worn down to the chrome. I'm planning on getting a fender de ville amp later in the year.
That doesn't really seem like a good enough reason to not play your Epi...
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
That doesn't really seem like a good enough reason to not play your Epi...

it's ugly as hell.
Get new hardware?
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Get new hardware?

I'd rather have a new guitar, it might seem fickle but I'm getting bored of it lol.
Quote by CaptainInternet
it's ugly as hell.
]

So you're going to buy a new guitar? **** man, if I had the sort of money to do that, I'd give it to ****ing charity.
that's understandable. ^^
both gibson or tokai would be fine to answer the original question...
but i'd prefer gibson.
Quote by Abe
]

So you're going to buy a new guitar? **** man, if I had the sort of money to do that, I'd give it to ****ing charity.

it's not just because it's fugly, i'm bored of it too.
Quote by The red Strat.
just a question, if you're bored of it, do you really think you want another LP ?

because I'm an idiot. I just want a new one.
I believe the answer to this post is C) Put your money back in your pocket and do some thinking.

You need a new amp.

Upgrade your hardware and pickups .
Quote by utsapp89
ok i was just asking...

i'd check a gibson LP standard faded, cheaper because it has a different (nicer imo) finish, and the alnico V's are supposed to be pretty decent.
EDIT: i forgot about the spider... yeah get a new amp first
it's kinda useless to get a ferarri and then put really cheap tires on it... you know what i mean ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 2, 2007,
You should get the amp and a budget guitar dude. The amp makes the guitar, I'm talking from experience here.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'd say tokai hear the higher end ones are better than gibson but also look into other Japanese companies liek Edwards and Burny.

agreed. i tried a relic tokai the other week which blew away any non-custom shop gibson i've ever tried (by that i mean they don't stock CS gibbos here, so i haven't tried them). it's around about £1000... compare that to £1500 for a LP standard, which isn't half as good.

if you can go custom shop, that may be a different story, and obviously it might (to you) be worth it if it says gibson on the headstock (and resale will be better, if you like chopping and changing your gear).

But if you just want a good-playing, good-sounding, quality guitar, i'd go tokai every time.

Edwards would also be worth a look, if you're willing to ship from japan- mine came in yesterday... it's sweet. I prefer it to the tokais around the £500-£600 mark, but it's not just as nice as that relic i tried (though it's not a million miles off it).

Quote by The red Strat.
i know dave's gonna come in here and say : TOKAI !!

but i believe in the 'only a gibson is good enough' sentence though...
i tried several LP copies and stuff and nothing's as good as the real deal IMO...they may be overpriced, but they'r damn fine guitars.

not that tokai i tried. it was better. far better. I tried a gibson les paul classic antique on the same day (not head to head, as they were in different shops, but within about an hour of each other), and it was no contest. I'd also take my edwards over that classic antique, its rosewood was pretty poor quality if you ask me.

but yeah, new amp is the priority here. if you go for an edwards or one of the £500-£600 tokais, you could afford both, which'd be the sensible option if you ask me. and you could try selling on your epi?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just to point out, i don't think gibsons are necessarily bad guitars. they'd be nice if they halved the prices here in the UK.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my friends friend has a japanese loverock tokai LP and it is far superior to most gibsons i've played, also the korean made tokais (£400) definitely give low end gibsons a run for the money, that's real bang for buck imo.

If by bored you mean of the look, well you're screwing yourself over, if by sound.. well same again, not gonna sound much different through a line6 spider 3
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
if you want the name. then get the gibson. otherwise, tokai is pretty much the same
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Yeah I'd throw a new amp in there then stay with the epiphone, you need some serious thinking, I've mentioned this elsewhere but there was a period I was obsessing over every guitar that headed my way, but I had no money so I easily got through my phases and read up, I now know whats good bad, what to get over something else, what does what, how to do certain things and all this stuff, however you have the money you may waste it, think things through heavily.
yer i just got a tikia les paul and its fkn awesome...dude get one, ive played epiphone and they just dont compare, havent played a gibson tho. but tokias are sweet man
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
my friends friend has a japanese loverock tokai LP and it is far superior to most gibsons i've played, also the korean made tokais (£400) definitely give low end gibsons a run for the money, that's real bang for buck imo.

If by bored you mean of the look, well you're screwing yourself over, if by sound.. well same again, not gonna sound much different through a line6 spider 3

Agreed man. On every level, bang to buck ratio is undeniably better with Tokai.

Also, guitar afficianado's always give you a knowing nod when you mention Tokai haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by smi5575
yer i just got a tikia les paul and its fkn awesome...dude get one, ive played epiphone and they just dont compare, havent played a gibson tho. but tokias are sweet man

For a guy who can't spell the brand name of the guitar he owns and hasn't played a gibson.

IGNORE.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
I have heard that Tokai makes great LP copies, the only two I ever have the chance to play I thought were terrible for the price they were asking. If you don't care about the cost go with the real deal and get the Gibson and get a custom shop one or vintage. IMHO Tokai guitars are over priced but I never played one I considered good but I am only going by the two I played.

John
I've played two Tokai Les Pauls, and they weren't that great, in my opinion. People say they are similar to the Gibsons, I guess the Gibsons aren't really worth the money. I've never played a Gibson LP, but I don't see how a guitar can be as good as people say it is.

Or maybe I'm just not a Les Paul guy. I would buy a Gibson SG Standard, personally. I love those things.
which models did you two play? there are lower japanese models (which are still pretty nice), and korean models (which wouldn't compare to a gibson).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, never played a Tokai, but I do own a Les Paul Classic Antique, and I found nothing wrong with it thankfully. For the money, you get the name , looks, feel and sound of a guitar worth a helluva lot more - I preffered it to the Standard I tried on these criteria - and it was kinder to the wallet as well!!! I also got it for £1095 at GuitarGuitar in Glasgow (a limited offer) so I got a real good deal on it as well - other cherry bursts are being sold for a lot more, even online.

You should try out the guitar your buying though - whilst mine blows my socks off there is probably a good few that are fairly "meh". Just give it a go!!!!
I'd get a Tokai... whatever your budget, for the same price, Tokai will have a much better alternative. Les Paul studio<<<<< Tokai ls150, Les Paul standard <<<< Tokai ls230
Les Paul custom/r9 etc <<< Tokai ls320

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

The two I was looking at were both made MIJ One popped up on Craigs list pretty cheap the other a friend had and was trying to unload because he bought a used Gibson LP. I didn't care for wither one. I still say go with the original "always copied - never equalled!"

John
fair enough, but i've tried tokais which have annihilated gibsons.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?