Ok, lately I have been trying to understand the basics to scales.I have learned the basics to the major and minor scales, as well as the basic forms of the pentatonic minor scale. I found this looking through the different links provided in the theory FAQ section under musician talk.

Pentatonic Scale

A pentatonic scale in a scale based on 5 tones instead of 7.

Here is a link to the pentatonic scale patterns.

Pentatonic Scale Patterns

There is a wealth of information regarding scales of all types on this site. Take the time to look around a bit.

Here is the Minor Pentatonic Scale and it's modes. All intervallic values are in relation to the Major Scale structure. F Major is used for an example. I chose "F" because you can begin the patterns on the First Fret of the Sixth String. These patterns can be applied to the Ionian Mode of the Major scales.

To derive the minor pentatonic scale and modes from the major scale pattern.

F Major scale

The F Major Scale structure

Tones: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Notes: F G A Bb C D E

To get the minor pentatonic scale structure apply the following:

Tones 2 and 6 are excluded.
Flat the 3rd tone and the 7th tone.

Tones: 1 b3 4 5 b7
Notes: F Ab Bb C Eb

Minor Pentatonic Scale Mode II (Major Pentatonic).
Tones 4 and 7 are excluded.

Tones: 1 2 3 5 6
Notes: F G A C D

Minor Pentatonic Scale Mode III.
Tones 3 and 6 are excluded.
Flat tone 7.

Tones: 1 2 4 5 b7
Notes: F G A# C Eb

Minor Scale Pentatonic Scale Mode IV.
Tones 2 and 5 are excluded.
Flat tone 3, 6, and 7

Tones: 1 b3 4 b6 b7
Notes: F Ab Bb Db Eb

Minor Scale Pentatonic Scale Mode V.
Tone 3 and 7 are excluded.

Tones: 1 2 4 5 6
Notes: F G A# C D

Here is a little theory behind the Pentatonic scale for you to analyze. Hope this helps you out. If you need to know how to play these scales on your guitar see the link above. If that does not help, ask here and I will tab out the patterns I use. If you are confused, post here again and I will try to make it clearer.

Regards

SrcCode

Basically, this is telling you how each of the different forms of the pentatonic minor scales are formed.

My two questions are:

1. Why is it like this? What is special about the notes that are excluded in each form that makes them be the ones that are left out and why are some notes made flat? I know my pentatonic scales, but I see no sense in them whatsoever and would really like some things cleared up for me.

2. Does it matter if a scale repeats itself in the next octave? I have heard some people display A major key for example, as a 7 note scale,an 8-note scale, and a scale covering the whole fretboard. Any differences there?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Basically that's showin the pentatonic minor scale in relation to the major scale.
In my opinion, the way its given, its not terribly valuable information. I wouldn't
worry about. It's not how I'd explain minor pentatonic in relation to the major scale.

It's showing all the modes of the pent minor (don't confuse mode with finger
position), but 2 almost always used are the first 2 (minor & major).

The notes that are left out is because someone thought that sounded pleasing
in a certain way, and lots of other people did too because everyone uses it. That's
about all there is to it.

Does it matter if scales repeat to the next octave? Matter has nothing to do with it.
Scales DO repeat. octave after octave after ....
Quote by edg
In my opinion, the way its given, its not terribly valuable information. I wouldn't worry about.

Does it matter if scales repeat to the next octave? Matter has nothing to do with it.
Scales DO repeat. octave after octave after ....

+1
Aight, cool. Everything's startin to come together, I'm just a little confused about all of the little things. Plus I still need to memorize the fretboard .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401