Ok...

So i picked up The Ibanez RGT42DX th other day and i fell in love with it. it was comfortable and very easy for me to play.

I own an Ibanez Gio(not sure what model. im at school so i cnt check) it has some Seymor Duncans in it. and i love it. but i want something better. it just doesnt sound good compared to all these other guitars out there and for $700 i want to know if the RG42DX is a good buy

I have been playing about a year seriously (about 5 on and off and then in was just picking it up goofing around).I know alomost al of you recommend an SA model but i want to know honesst opinions about this guitar.

Thank you,
Michael Harkey
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Good guitar, bad bridge. Think of it as a good car with a terrible engine.

If you get the RGT42FX though, you're set. But set without a trem.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
how important i s a tremilo? i mean if it just for the whammy bar, i dont use it that much as it is so is it worth it? but if thats not the case (lol) what does the Tremilo do?
Quote by Burtonjp

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
I was considering the RG42DX, but stretched my budget a bit to get an RG1570. Nicer neck, uch better bridge.

If you don't want to go higher in price, ger the fixed bridge one.
tremelo (not tremilo) is a bas that alters the pitch of the strings and causes them to go detuned (like eruption by Van halen) or up (like the end of cemetery gates by pantera) and is useful, but its a pain to change the strings (you need to cut the ball end, and keep the trem stable and a lot of stuff) and keep the guitar tuned (unless you use locking tuners).

it can be useful if you know how to use it, but it can be a pain if you are beggining
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by greasysnowball
how important i s a tremilo? i mean if it just for the whammy bar, i dont use it that much as it is so is it worth it? but if thats not the case (lol) what does the Tremilo do?
Tremolo. It raises or lowers the pitch of whatever you're playing. A bad trem (such as the one on the RGT42) will in time result in your guitar losing tuning way more often than it should.

Although, if you don't want (or know what it is) a tremolo, the RGT42FX is right up your alley. Same guitar as RGT42DX, but cheaper, and without the bad hardware.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i know my gio has a temelo (sorry bout typo lol) its just i never understood what it was exactly. i honestly thought i twas just for the "Whammy Bar". The RGT42DX also comes with a Tune locker on the neck. Would that make it a lil better?
Quote by Burtonjp

Quote by gunther_sucks
Quote by greasysnowball
i know my gio has a temelo (sorry bout typo lol) its just i never understood what it was exactly. i honestly thought i twas just for the "Whammy Bar". The RGT42DX also comes with a Tune locker on the neck. Would that make it a lil better?

That would be a locking nut and that's not the problem on this guitar.

Without getting too technical on floating bridges (whammy bars), if you don't want one, don't buy one.

A tremolo can cause quite some trouble and most people with a whammy bar are willing to sacrifice the ease of having a hardtail (a guitar without a tremolo) for the effects you can get with a whammy bar (check some youtube videos on whammy bars to get an idea of what you can do with one).

Judging by your responses so far, you're not really looking for a guitar with a whammy and on top of that the bridge on this particular guitar isn't very good (a common problem on guitars with a "locking tremolo" in your price range). I'd reccomend you to look at the non-tremolo version of this guitar, which has already been mentioned a few times in this thread.

By the way, here are a few pictures of some parts and what they're called:

hardtail:

double locking tremolo (or Floyd Rose):

locking nut:

locking tuners:
(Invalid img)

vintage tremolo:

whammy bar (can also be used as a synonym for tremolo):

(better known as tremolo arm)

If you want to see what these parts look like installed on a guitar, just google the names.

Just a small explanation:

A hardtail is a bridge that doesn't move. It does not have an arm and it's fixed onto the body.

A floating trem or (Floyd Rose) is a bridge that can move both up and down and by moving it can raise or lower the pitch of a note. Usually these bridges also come with locking nuts (installed near the headstock, at the end of the neck). These locking nuts clamp the strings down and improve tuning stability.

A locking tuner is a tuner with a little wheel on the back. By turning the wheel you can lock it, thus increasing tuning stability.

A vintage (or regular) tremolo doesn't have a locking nut. Usually these bridges can only lower the pitch (and maybe raise it slightly, but not nearly as much as a floating bridge).

Finally here are some examples of the bridges being put to use:

Floyd Rose:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=urON5iuEF6I

(keep in mind this guy is a professional musician, it takes a long time to get that amount of skill with a floating bridge, but it does show you what you can do with it)

Vintage trem:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-QZTMiIws

He doesn't use it much, but listen to the chords after the melody, he uses his tremolo for a vibrato effect.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 2, 2007,
i was looking at the RGT42FX and i noticed it doesnt come in white. and the fret inlays are too basic. What is the price for it? unfortunatly i am at school and almost everything i s blocked. Bt for some odd reason the website isnt.

Also, is there a wat to get custom inlays on the neck if i decide to go with this guitar? and is there a way i can also get it in white? should i order it from ibanez if i want it in white?
Quote by Burtonjp

Quote by gunther_sucks
Quote by greasysnowball
i was looking at the RGT42FX and i noticed it doesnt come in white. and the fret inlays are too basic. What is the price for it? unfortunatly i am at school and almost everything i s blocked. Bt for some odd reason the website isnt.

Also, is there a wat to get custom inlays on the neck if i decide to go with this guitar? and is there a way i can also get it in white? should i order it from ibanez if i want it in white?

Ibanez does not do custom colours (unless you order about a hundred at once, which you probably won't want to). Also, as nice as a colour can be, don't dismiss a guitar because it's not the right colour. In the end it's all down to playability and tone (besides, this guitar isn't ugly at all).

As for the inlays, I don't know from the top of my head what inlays this model has but if they're dots, you could have them replaced. Just make sure you can present a luthier with a stack of cash when it's done though. Inlays aren't cheap, and doing them on a finished neck can be a hassle, if you want them changed, prepare to pay a lot of money.

If, on the other hand, they are sharkfins (what I suspect), changing them is near impossible.

Just ask yourself this: why not buy it or spend a lot of money on inlays and refishes, because of a few cosmetic things. The guitar isn't ugly, and the fact that it's not white or that you're not to sure about the inlays shouldn't be important.
Quote by greasysnowball
It's $630.

Quote by greasysnowball
In short, no on all three counts.

RGT42DXFX had sharkteeth, I think... But it's an older model that you'll be hard-pressed to find.
well its not that i think th color is ugly or anything like that. im just a big fan of white. and i was wonding if anyone new if they did make em in white. Second, untortunatly it fomes in dots. Not a big deal breaker for me but i would like something other than dots. I will be going to my local guitar shop tonight probably and when im there if the they have the FX i will play it and see what i think.

I greatly appretaite the impute you guys have given me.

Michael Harkey
Quote by Burtonjp

Quote by gunther_sucks
Quote by greasysnowball
well its not that i think th color is ugly or anything like that. im just a big fan of white. and i was wonding if anyone new if they did make em in white. Second, untortunatly it fomes in dots. Not a big deal breaker for me but i would like something other than dots. I will be going to my local guitar shop tonight probably and when im there if the they have the FX i will play it and see what i think.

I greatly appretaite the impute you guys have given me.

Michael Harkey

You'll be lucky to find the FX, your best bet is to try one with a trem because those are easier to find and the neck is the same.
well i went to my local guitar shop and i have to special order it to get one! i was like gay! and then they were saying the onlyone they have ever had in the history of the store was a special order.... it bummed me out. and if i didnt want to buy it i had to pay like 25% to just get it out here to see if it is what i want. and i was like screw that! so i think im ognna just shop around and maybe get lucky. but so far im still leaning towards the DX. i went in yesterday and was tinkering with the Trem.. and i tued iit to drop D through the Trem and i was having a pretty good time with it.

i dont know though. i still want to try out the FX.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Michael Harkey
Quote by Burtonjp

Quote by gunther_sucks
Quote by greasysnowball
well i went to my local guitar shop and i have to special order it to get one! i was like gay! and then they were saying the onlyone they have ever had in the history of the store was a special order.... it bummed me out. and if i didnt want to buy it i had to pay like 25% to just get it out here to see if it is what i want. and i was like screw that! so i think im ognna just shop around and maybe get lucky. but so far im still leaning towards the DX. i went in yesterday and was tinkering with the Trem.. and i tued iit to drop D through the Trem and i was having a pretty good time with it.

i dont know though. i still want to try out the FX.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Michael Harkey

The trem is fine for a while but it will wear out after a few months, which is when it turns into an unstable nightmare.