I've been playing for a year, something near 2 hours a day and I am really frustrated because I still can't play any song from start to end at least decently, can't change chords fluidly (not even open ones) and that kind of stuff I should be able to do already.

I've tried to think and figure out what I'm doing wrong, but found little benefits from it.

So I'm going to get a teacher soon to see if he can help me get out of this hole.

Am I the only one with this problem?
maybe 2 hours day is not enough, i had this when i was beguining, not a year but like 6 months

just practice, something that helped me was when a friend said that i was following the tabs WAYY to strict, they only give you an idea of how to play the song, youre the player so loosen up, palm mute some open string in between chords and all
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Well I am know expert but, I started playing a few years ago and stopped after 5 months or so. About 4 months ago I began again, got a new guitar and a kicks ass instructor who keeps me motivated and learning new things weekly. We began with open chords, power chords now working on the blues and phrasing and rhythm. Hang in there find a decent instructor and don't be afraid to switch teachers until you find a match. That's the best advice I can give you. Then again I am a newbie to.
well a year n still having those probs is bad
n u shud practice more i practice 4 hours regularaly n iunno how u ant finish at least a beginer song after a year r u sticking one song n practicing?or amyb ur picking the wrong songs?>the chord changes r ez to get over justpractice practice practice ur chords
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
i had a similar problem a while ago, the teacher can't help you with that one...just be patient - it'll all come like a suprise. just practice,practice,practice - don't give up. when it isn't going the way it should - try harder
and maybe you're learning the wrong songs...
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
Quote by brooklynsoulja1
well a year n still having those probs is bad
n u shud practice more i practice 4 hours regularaly n iunno how u ant finish at least a beginer song after a year r u sticking one song n practicing?or amyb ur picking the wrong songs?>the chord changes r ez to get over justpractice practice practice ur chords

if i met you in person - i believe i wouldn't understand a word you're saying
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
Try the quiet things no one ever knows by brand new it is the first whole song i learned. You will learn basic power chords, palm muting, rhythm and picking skills. Good song if you like that stuff to learn if you are having trouble with basics.
I have a funny feeling you might be moving a little fast, yes by a year you should have all that down, but maybe you rushed into it, if you get a teacher than ask to be treated like a complete and utter beginner to help you get the basics down to perfection, once you have that down teaching yourself becomes a lot easier and then the teacher simply helps you along with the more complicated stuff... like modes *shudders*
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
It's notthe amount of time you practise, it's HOW you practise; remaining focused, pushing yourself, confirming your improvements and what you need to improve.

It's actually easy to say this of course, doing it often can be another matter. It's just about enjoying improving and challenging yourself, playing loads of styles, etc.
Look a SRVs playing style and it'll show you that you don't need to change your chords 100% accurately, in fact in the tabs of some of his stuff just open notes are there for the chord changes as a lot of the time he never stopped struimmin' so yeah you don't need to be perfectly accurate.
Maybe you are not concentrating enough or have not determined your objectives every time you practice. Let's face it, learning how to play guitar is not easy and involves your brain more than your hands. So if your hands are larger than your brain capacity you may be doomed and try playing the cow bell.
Like you when I first started playing it seemed like I was never going to get it. I never got lessons because we just didn't have the dough. I kept at it and at it until eventually I got good enough to play and jam with bands. I gave it up and for years I rarely picked up the only guitar I kept if i stayed with it I am sure I could keep up with a lot of guitarists. I just started getting back into it and I forgot so much and my fingers just don't want to cooperate. I am getting better but it seems like it's slower than before. At my age I feel like it's a lost cause but I'll stick with it. When I took my son for lessons I sat in and knew most of what his teacher showed him but like a lot people will tell you practice everytime your not doing anything. 2 hrs a day might not be enough my kids teached seemed to want him to practice 4 or more hrs a day. My kid just had too many friends to distract him. He picked it up pretty quick but never spent enough time to practice. IMHO he would have been an awesome guitarist if he stuck with it. He still has his guitar but i have no idea if he ever plays it anymore.
i have almost the same problem dude
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
i've been playing for a year also. I have yet to also learn a song, i practice a lot of Iron Maiden songs. It takes time man, spend a lot of time in it. It took me the whole summer that just went by to learn Losfer Words. just keep at it, dont give up! it happens to every1. remember take it slow, then slow build up
LOL
I've recently come back to the guitar after 10 years and had to pretty much start over. I've been practicing for about 4 months consistantly and it occured to me that, the basis for a lot of my flustration was finger strength. It's hard to master those new coords or fast licks without finger strength and finger dexterity. So I've been playing a lot of chromatic scales on my steel acoustic. I've been doing it everyday for at least a half an hour. Now I can finally start feeling a bit of pinky independence and that has motivated me to keep with it.