I've been noticing a problem recently playing licks on the E (tuned to drop D) and A strings where the open D note will basically drown out anything I play on the A string after it. A good example is something like this. Its also only really a problem with heavy distortion.

A|---5-----4-----3------0--5------|
D|------0-----0-----0-------------|

I have the same problems through my Marshall AVT100 and my Line6 TonePort, so would it be something to do with my pickups? or is it just something that happens and its really not a problem at all?
Palm Mute. Otherwise it will drown it out. Could be your tone too and the type of distortion, you can get some really tight distortion and then theres the big rumbly distortion for want of a better description. Just use what you've got and mess around with your tone.
Last edited by GodzillaComplex at Oct 2, 2007,
Yeh palm muting is no problem, but these types of licks definately aren't supposed to be played muted. I've played around with all the settings on my amp and guitar to try and get the A string to ring out a bit better, but no luck. The closest i can get to how the recordings sound is by muting the D with my thumb at the same time as i play the next note, but doing that wraps my thumb around the neck, which I know is bad practice generally.
Play the note (D), and when you want to play something on the A string, lower your hand onto the D string to stop it ringing, then lift it back up.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Sweet i'll give it a go. Will take weeks of practice to get right no doubt
Also (depending on the speed of the riff) when you play the open D, dont leave the other note fretted, so the note doesnt try to ring over the D, muddying up the riff.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Its part of the heavy riff from "Blackest Eyes" by Porcupine Tree if that helps anyone.
Quote by Subcide
Sweet i'll give it a go. Will take weeks of practice to get right no doubt

You should really be doing it automatically anyway, otherwise you'll have open strings ringing every time you play, resulting in lots of noise and nasty feedback.

You can mut ite with a quick movement with the palm of your left hand or use a spare finger on your left hand to mute it, perhaps even your thumb, if you grip the neck like that way.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK