i'm watching a documentary about m-theory and it seems really cool..but does anyone know how credible this theory is compared to other theories like the big bang?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Idiot, everybody knows that God made the world in 6 days
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Idiot, everybody knows that God made the world in 6 days

god...please don't make this a "creation vs. evolution" therad
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by blues-guitarist
i'm watching a documentary about m-theory and it seems really cool..but does anyone know how credible this theory is compared to other theories like the big bang?

M-Theory and the Big Bang are not mutually exclusive. Both can have happened. And in fact I'm pretty sure M-Theory is used to try and explain the Big Bang.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
lol crazy stuff, that is.

ne-body know why its called M-Theory??
You are now blinking manually
Quote by blues-guitarist

Its still a hypothesis, there isn't much evidence for it. The theory doesnt conflict with the Big Bang, it says where the Big Bang came from. Two branes "collided" and thats how the Big bang started apparantly. Not sure how much I believe it...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

dang, i was wrong

The particle idea wouldnt work because there would be nothing for the particle to be in... the human brain has real difficulty imagining nothingness. Usually people imagine black or white, except, its nothing. I cant visualise nothing, maybe someone else can?
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Quote by blues-guitarist
no, the big bang theory says that the universe started from a particle that exploded...M theory says that the universe started from the collision from two branches if i remember right...i'm still watching the documentary so i don't know much, that's just what i'm getting from it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
You tubes broke for me Whats the video of?
Quote by cakemonster91

m-theory really doesn't have THAT much to do with the big bang. it was only created because of the singularity that occurs when you try to figure out what happened at the very beginning of the big bang (if i am not mistaken). It actually turned out to be much more than a "here's how the universe was born..." theory. It unifies quantum physics with general relativity. neat stuff.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate
m-theory really doesn't have THAT much to do with the big bang. it was only created because of the singularity that occurs when you try to figure out what happened at the very beginning of the big bang (if i am not mistaken). It actually turned out to be much more than a "here's how the universe was born..." theory. It unifies quantum physics with general relativity. neat stuff.

*Trys to unify... The Theory of Everything! I don't think they've done it yet though? The theory wasnt about the big bang your right, but the colliding brane view then came from it.
Quote by cakemonster91

why don't they teach this stuff on physics class? people would be a lot more interested on physics
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
why don't they teach this stuff on physics class? people would be a lot more interested on physics

Becuase its all just hypothesis's, its new physics only around in the past 20 years or so. Only theorys can be taught in science classes im afraid, other wise what if its wrong?

Im only 16, Im quite interested in physics anyway, im taking it as an A level. I learn this type of stuff though from reading sciencey type books. Check out The Science of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen and someone else. They're really good science and funny at the same time. they devote a chapter to string theory and branes...
Quote by cakemonster91

Quote by Peanut1614
Becuase its all just hypothesis's, its new physics only around in the past 20 years or so. Only theorys can be taught in science classes im afraid, other wise what if its wrong?

Im only 16, Im quite interested in physics anyway, im taking it as an A level. I learn this type of stuff though from reading sciencey type books. Check out The Science of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen and someone else. They're really good science and funny at the same time. they devote a chapter to string theory and branes...

I'm doing physics at A level too, it's pretty great.

You say only theories can be taught but the stuff on what light is seems pretty sketchy to me.

...but they can no more teach the M-theory than teach Creation.

Edit: No creation vs evolution conmments or I'll have to beat you with a stick. Take them to the Creation vs evolution thread if you must.
It's probably not taught at school because most teachers wouldn't understand it.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Quote by blues-guitarist
god...please don't make this a "creation vs. evolution" therad

If you clicked the link you'd know hes implying that Eric Clapton is God (probably true...)
Quote by Peanut1614

Excuse me, I was taught that pluto is a planet, and it always will be to me.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
^Called like a sub-planetary object now. Something like that anyway.

Quote by bequickorbedead
I'm doing physics at A level too, it's pretty great.

You say only theories can be taught but the stuff on what light is seems pretty sketchy to me.

...but they can no more teach the M-theory than teach Creation.

Wrongtastic. M-theory is a scientific theory and science. Creationism isn't.

And M-Theory isn't taught in schools because it's far too complicated. You can outline the general theory but it would be pure words. None of the maths would be do-able for someone at that level.

And +1 to the person who mentioned Science of the Discworld.

Oscar Wilde
M-theory seems plausible, but I don't understand why they have to add more dimensions only to justify the weight of the photon depending on how strings vibrate (I think it was about that though)...
The whole 26, 11, 10, etc dimension thing makes no sense to me, although the other things that explain the singularity of the Big Bang, etc, are plausible....
Quote by blues-guitarist

M-theory isn't against the Big Bang Its an explanation for the big bang among other things.

It complements it.
Last edited by rizo299 at Apr 30, 2008,
^Complements*.

Quote by gonzaw
M-theory seems plausible, but I don't understand why they have to add more dimensions only to justify the weight of the photon depending on how strings vibrate (I think it was about that though)...
The whole 26, 11, 10, etc dimension thing makes no sense to me, although the other things that explain the singularity of the Big Bang, etc, are plausible....

So the maths works out.

Oscar Wilde
Mathematically, M-theory is brilliant. From a purely theoretical perspective, M-theory is brilliant. But from a scientific persepective, M-theory is suspect, because it is untestable, and will be for a few decades at least. That doesn't mean it's not a good use of physicists time, but there may well be better things to be working on short term, that can be tested more readily (ie, VSL theories and perhaps Heim theory).
Quote by gonzaw
But wouldn't that contradict the mathematical definition of "dimension"? As the way to measure a point in space? Wouldn't it contradict Euclidean n-space, tesseract forming, etc?

Apparently not. I have no idea.

Oscar Wilde
Unfortunately to study it in any detail one must suck the balls of Academics, and learn to give a decent hand job, too, for at least eight years before becoming the 58th author on an article.

That's after spending several years earning minimum wage.

Have fun!

(I'm currently in college, so trust me, I know what I'm talking about)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by bart munch
It's probably not taught at school because most teachers wouldn't understand it.

It is more the fact that many students wouldn't understand it.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by gonzaw
I have to say, it doesn't make sense to me....
Unless a tesseract is in the eth dimension or in dimension 9 1/4 th

o_O

Physicists don't care much about the finer points of the mathematics. What matters is the physical interpretation of it. That said, string theorists are often far too hung up on mathematical beauty.

Ah, whatever. The point is, the physics works, whatever is going on with the maths. If you want elucidation, i suggest contacting an actual mathematician or theoretical physicist.