Another guitarist and I have trouble staying in tune. I have a TU-2 floor tuner and he has a line 6 tuner on his amp. I was wondering what tips or anything you guys use to make sure you guys are always in tune to each other?
new tuners, new bridge if u have a trem, maybe some nut lubrication. Locking tuners should do the trick.
some sort of lubricant on the nut, I use graphite (pencil lead)....just take a pencil and a razor and shave some of the lead into the nut slots, works wonders for me. I've never been a big fan of buying knew parts for a guitar when the old ones work well enough, but if you want to shell out the cash, some of those fancy locking tuners might be the way to go.
In my former band while tunig we both played one string eg. E6, and if it was dissonant (sp?) the other guitarist adjusted himself to me. Doing that youre sure that you are tuned exactly the same.
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Make sure both your tuners are set to the same frequency (concert pitch is 440)

If you have floating bridges and you dont use them, consider having your bridge pinned back by a proffessional. Other than that, lubricate your nuts with a pencil.
Quote by lachlandavis
Make sure both your tuners are set to the same frequency (concert pitch is 440)

If you have floating bridges and you dont use them, consider having your bridge pinned back by a proffessional. Other than that, lubricate your nuts with a pencil.

very important.
grind off some pencil graphite in the little ruts of the nut. Also you really need to make sure that you use the same tuner and not two different ones, because there is like a 2 or 3 cent tolerance either from 440 hz that tuners conform to.
Always make sure that your last movement of the tuning key is a tightening motion. Work up to the note, and if you overshoot, go back down below it. This is basic stuff, but a lot of self-taught gutiarists don't know it, and it helps a lot with tuning stability.
Quote by Arbitror
Always make sure that your last movement of the tuning key is a tightening motion. Work up to the note, and if you overshoot, go back down below it. This is basic stuff, but a lot of self-taught gutiarists don't know it, and it helps a lot with tuning stability.

MAN! I have wondered why my guitar, a brand new Ibanez SA36FM, was not staying in tune longer..

I have been tuning to the Ibanez tuner I have. But I never made sure that my last twist of the tuning key was a tightening motion.

Thanks alot!

ps: I also was told by the guy at the store to use pencil in the grooves of the nut.
You can also buy 'locking' nuts that clamp down on your strings once you've tuned your guitar and holds them 'in tune' (as long as all the stretch has been taken out of the strings)
This action of locking the strings down however can also slighty de-tune your guitar so in addition to the locking nut, it's an idea to buy a bridge with fine tuners attached.