Page 1 of 2
Hey guys! My internet has been down for the past two or three weeks, due to some major construction on my road. I'm back though, and should be until something else comes up.

Man, I probably missed a ton.

But, I'm back now!

And some new news from the Inky front!!!

NEW BASS! It's been keeping me alive for the past few days, and I'M COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH IT.

It's an MTD (Michael Tobias Design) Z series 6 string fretless bassy waseee! I'll do a review soon, once I've had more time to fool around with it. But I LOVE IT. This is a professional photo of my EXACT bass. Its soooo freakin pretty!

I'm now officially de-gassed

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
That is one nice bass! good buy sir!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
There's advertisements for that all over Bass Player magazine. Looks like a sweet bass, get that review up as soon as you can.
Well, I've got 2 shows this weekend, so we'll see how it manages those.

So far though, the action is GODLY. I got it from the Perfect Bass, and they set up and restring and tune every bass they sell. This one came to me in MINT condition, absolutely perfect, with a free tshirt and 2 instrument cables.

So far, it sounds GREAT. For everything from Jaco to some walking bass lines on standards, to the standard Primus fretless tunes (Fisherman Chronicals, My Name is Mud, The Toys go Winding Down).

I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'll get sound clips and all up with the review. I bought it kind of blindly. I had played many MTD basses, but never a 6 string fretless. I shopped around, and never found anyone with the same bass as me. But anyways, its got plenty of tone control. I've got it strung with MTD roundwounds and it SINGSSSSS! The low B is very clear, and the high C is perfectly balanced. And it looks beautiful....

FULL review up later.

I didn't notice you were gone, but your bass is erotic. How much was it?
Beautiful picture, by the way. Are you a photographer or did you have somebody else take it?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Nice looking bass, I LOVE the finish. The only thing I don't like are the pickup covers, if it were me I'd get some black ones. Still, that's so minor that I don't even care about it. I've never played a fretless 6 before, I bet it's fun.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Hergiswi
I didn't notice you were gone, but your bass is erotic. How much was it?
Beautiful picture, by the way. Are you a photographer or did you have somebody else take it?

theperfectbass.com took that picture. The exact bass in that picture is the one I own, though. It looks pretty much the same in real life except prettier

I payed $1125 for it (minus a 10% discount from TalkBass)

And personally, I like the pickup covers. It just adds to that natural wood feel, which I'm a SUCKER for.

aww, it reminds me of The Cheat.. lol.. only not exactly.. just a little with the coloring and spots. lol.

I so want that Cheatar (a guitar that looks like The Cheat.. For real) that they sold.. but I would've never won that auction.. *lesigh*)

Sexy bass.. ^.^ I don't know what the point of my post is.
dude! thats a killer looking bass!! one of the nicest i've ever seen. i'm curious about the headstock though, so if you have another pic?? welcome home Inky and, congrats!
Headstock:

Whole thing:

And, its light as a feather! It weighs about the same as my Squire 4 string!

Now I need to get me an MTD case for it to live in.

And as far as lined/unlined fretless' go, I decided to go lined. Why? Well, I find myself unable to hear myself at a lot of shows. So I figured if it was lined, at least I'd know I was in tune.

sir please excuse me while i drool on my keyboard that is a veery sweet bass man
I am me. Live with it.
Welcome back Inky; you were missed in chat and the forums.

And what a gorgeous instrument. Congrats and I just want to you know if I was ever going to commit the sin of coveting my neighbor's six string bass, that would be a contender on the list.
hey inky, glad to see you back, and with such a sexy bass aswell.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Wow very very nice bass! What woods are the body and top?

And good to see you on here again!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
How does the bass sound?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Is the fingerboard coated or something? Or do you think the ebony will hold up the roundwound strings wear and tear and Primus slapping?

And what do all those tonal controls do?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Great Bass. I'm GAS-ing an Heir 5 in Trans Cherry. I'll get a job and save up for it.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by thefitz
Is the fingerboard coated or something? Or do you think the ebony will hold up the roundwound strings wear and tear and Primus slapping?

The fingerboard isn't coated. Its ebonol, which is pretty much a man-made ebony wood. It sound almost exactly the same, only a little warmer.

I'm using the MTD roundwounds that came on it. Its not all that big a deal to use round wounds. It will take like 10 years for it to make any effect on your tone or the bass's playability. As far as slapping goes, I'm staying away from it for now. It's just too damn pretty to cut up! But a pop every once in a while doesn't hurt.

Hey dude!
Nice bass.
I'm looking into buying a 6 string, but Im not sure if i want a fretted or a fretless.
What did you come of from? Im just playing a 4 string fretted at the moment.
Is it a too big of a change to go 6 string and fretless at the same time?

Thanks man
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
^There didn't seem to be too much input on actual ebonol boards. I've played a few here and there and they seem to have a very 'plastic', somewhat Curbow sound (although I dispise Curbow). To me, it doesn't sound like wood does, but it's bloody hard to argue with the results of it's resiliency.

From what I understand, ebonol is the little cheaper brother of phenolic (which still has a rather sterile sound to it - look for Michael Manring).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^I read it was a cheaper brother of Ebony...

And Puma89, I started 4 string, then bought a 5 string, and now this. Some people find the jump very difficult and challenging, but I didn't have any problems going from 4-5 or 5-6. There are just more strings you've got to keep quiet while playing.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

And Puma89, I started 4 string, then bought a 5 string, and now this. Some people find the jump very difficult and challenging, but I didn't have any problems going from 4-5 or 5-6. There are just more strings you've got to keep quiet while playing.

I really don't understand the hoo-haa about increasing strings... in fact, I now find it harder to play a 4 than a 5, lol
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Actually me as well. Once I started my five string I actually had way more trouble getting back into my four string than when originally started the five.

It's the lack of a low B, that's what it is. I'm too used to sweeping down and hitting the low B. On a 4, when I hit air or body, it throws me.
good lord thats a sexy bass. damn good deal for the price too.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really don't understand the hoo-haa about increasing strings... in fact, I now find it harder to play a 4 than a 5, lol

I play my 3 basses interchangably without a problem. So, I figured, why not? Plus Claypool was a major influence of mine when I started playing, so i've been gassing for that 6 string fretless for a while.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

Well, not really. Phenolic and Ebonol are both synthetics that are trying to be ebony, a real wood. Phenolic is much more expensive than Ebonol but they have the exact same applications.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I play my 3 basses interchangably without a problem. So, I figured, why not? Plus Claypool was a major influence of mine when I started playing, so i've been gassing for that 6 string fretless for a while.

I think it's mainly because I neglect my 4... I really shouldnm't, cos it's fretless, and my five is a fretted... but yeah, why not? You had the oppurtunity to get a damn nice looking, and I assume great sounding, bass. You went for it. If I had the cash, I woulda done the same, lol
Quote by thefitz

I'm going to take a guess and say, 2 (the ones on a different angle) are for volumes of the pick ups. and the other 3 are an EQ.

purely guessing though
Damn fine lookin bass... I love the finish and the matching headstock (I got a thing for that for some reason...). If I could find a fretted 4 of that, Id so bite your style.

Oh and welcome back Inky.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Is it much harder to play a fretless than a fretted? I mean if you used to playing fretted ofc.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Page 1 of 2