Hi, I'm trying to figure out what kind of guitar I should get. I would like something at least $700 but no more than $1000. I like to play around with rock, metal, and blues but need some thing that can be used for playing in a ska band. I'd like easy playabilty and tuning that lasts a long time. The finish doesn't matter much to me. Right now I have an ibanez jumpstart guitar that is missing a pickup and sucks. My amp is a vox. Please just give me some good ideas.
Gibson's are pretty good for everything your thinking about playing....but i dunno about blues.....and they are also overly expensive unless you dont mind getting a used one. So if price is an issue i would suggest an epiphone SG.
Hmm, really any guitar can be used for anything, it's more the amp you're using, but Gibsons are very versatile as said, Ibanezs are also surprisingly versatile, eventhough they're mostly used for shred/metal. Also, I'd look into a Fender Showmaster or PRS SEs, great, very versatile guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
esp eclipse
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
go to a local guitar store and play a little of everything, get the one that feels comfortable to you, you can adjust the tone by swapping out parts and getting different equipment
PRS SE custom. with $1k, you could almost buy 2 of em. and use that extra $$ for a good tube combo.
the fender strat is the most versitale. well, unless you're doing heavy metal. in which case, go with an epi LP
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
maybe a gibson sg special. those can play pretty much anything.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
id go for a ESP, or a Ibanez... with the spare cash buy a new amp
Thanks guys I'll be sure to ceck out what your all suggesting. Great ideas! Thanks.
I decided that I will just replace the pickups and tuners because those are the only things I don't like much about the guitar. I going to the local music store for my lesson today so I will pick up some dimarzios or seymor duncans for pickups and some grover tuners. What would be a good bridge pickup?
Quote by tmd9314
I decided that I will just replace the pickups and tuners because those are the only things I don't like much about the guitar. I going to the local music store for my lesson today so I will pick up some dimarzios or seymor duncans for pickups and some grover tuners. What would be a good bridge pickup?

Tone Zone,Norton,Breed,asuming you want a humbucker.Also get a new amp,depending on the vox you have.
I really like my amp so I'm going to hold on to my money until I see if my band gets succesful at all. If we do then I wil probably buy a Marshall stack and a good preamp.
My vox will be good for recording, travelling, practice, etc... So I'm going to hold on to it however it is good enough to start doing some shows with which will hopefully be soon.
Last edited by tmd9314 at Oct 3, 2007,
Schecter all the way man! Way higher quality than even high end Gibsons and they play and sound amazing. I would say stay away from Gibson, They're overpriced and have poor quality control. But anyways look into a C-1 classic, they're amazing guitars for the price.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
yeah I've played a c-1 classic before and an exotic star but I found that schecters aren't quite the kind of thing I'm looking for but they are amazing for rock and metal
I'd recommend a Les Paul. That's what I use, and I play just about anything. You actually get a nice blues sound with the neck pick-up. It's the most versatile guitar I know of.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
what vox is it?

i'd have thought splitting that $1000 budget 50:50 would get you a nice amp and guitar...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tmd9314

Putting better pickups into it isn't really going to do anything on a cheap guitar.

What you want to do is not worth it at all (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
first thing to do on a cheap guitar is replace the pots(even high end guitars come with ****ty electronics) and even if the pickups arent the best itll let you know right away whether theyre worth replacing or not.
Fender VG Stratocaster.
It has EVERYTHING.
You can change the settings to:
a regular stratocaster
a telecaster
a humbucking setting
and an acoustic setting.
also, there's a knob that can change the tuning of the guitar.
like to drop d, open g, etc...
so amazingg..
Definitely the strat. It's the original workhorse guitar, it's been used in practically every genre out there.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Thanks. After consulting many websites and people and the local music shop I decide to replace my pickups and when I get the money I will probably get a used strat or sg. The pickups I got were a dimarzio fred for the bridge and a paf for the neck. Now my guitar sounds really good. Eventually I might get a coil tap so that I can use the humbuckers as single coils when I want.