and I wanna know what I should try. By the time I've finished saving up, I'll have about $3000 to spend, give or take. I definitely want a new amp, possibly another guitar. So, questions:

1. I was thinking about getting either Gibson SG Standard or a Gibson Les Paul (should I just go with the Studio or suck it up and get the Standard?)
2. Amp. I play in a band and we are starting to do some gigs. (Not very big for now but i would like something pretty loud for later )

O yeah and my influences right now are The Almost, 10 Years, Underoath, Silverstein, Saosin and Coheed and Cambria (in no particular order).

Again, this isn't a "which amp should I buy" but a "which amp should I try thread.

Thanks guys.
gibson LP goth + orange (anything) amp.... or a marshall

if a has 3k... id enter Guitar center and try every single piece there is... if the dude thats helping you complains b*tchslap him....
Last edited by just17n8 at Oct 2, 2007,
^^ Goth guitars = gross.

But the guys in GC are jerks.

I'd vote Mesa and the Standard LP
i vote that, with that much money, you go into a bunch of different guitar stores and try out any and every amp that you can. oranges, marshalls, mesas, fenders, etc etc all have different tones. you really just have to play around until you find the one that suits you. as for suggestions...jcm800, orange rocker/rockerverb, mesa mark iv, hughes and kettner duotone perhaps (saosin guys use the triamp mk ii's, so if you can somehow find one used that'd be sweet...they sound very very nice but have a very unique tone). go nuts man and have fun! (and i'd suggest you shop for an amp that you love first as that makes up most of your tone)
Whatever you do, believe these guys when they tell you to try a LOT of setups before you invest that kind of money. Personally, I would recommend spending a lot more on the amp/cab than on the guitar, because whatever guitar you play through a great amp will sound great, but a $2500 guitar won't sound nearly as good through a cheap amp.
In your price range, you could get some unbelievable amps!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Galapogos
You live in the Bahamas?What currnency do you use?

Well I would be buying in the US.. and I'm moving over there for college and such... so I'd be using American dollars.

Great suggestions guys! I plan on trying alot but I kinda wanted some suggestions as to narrow my search.

Also, as I didn't mention before I would like at least a two-channel amp, and an FX loop would be nice.
Quote by ERA
Well I would be buying in the US.. and I'm moving over there for college and such... so I'd be using American dollars.

Great suggestions guys! I plan on trying alot but I kinda wanted some suggestions as to narrow my search.

Also, as I didn't mention before I would like at least a two-channel amp, and an FX loop would be nice.

You don't always need two channels to get clean and dirty.
The bands you listed don't use that much gain, they use a lot, but it's not like you're going to be switching from Cannibal Corpse to A'ha!
A single channel amp like the Peavey Windsor wouldn't work, it's not responsive enough to your dynamic or your guitar's volume. However, an amp like a VHT Deliverance would give you the goods for the gain, and then let you shimmer away with open chords just by playing softer and dropping the volume on your guitar.

A dual/triple channel amp would probably suit you better, but try some high-end single channel amps too, you might just find exactly what you want in a single channel amp.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Look for a Mesa Rectoverb 50. Slap an OD pedal in front and it sounds EXACTLY like coheed and does so many other tones almost perfectly. Its a very versatile, powerful, and great sounding amp.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by riffhog
Whatever you do, believe these guys when they tell you to try a LOT of setups before you invest that kind of money. Personally, I would recommend spending a lot more on the amp/cab than on the guitar, because whatever guitar you play through a great amp will sound great, but a $2500 guitar won't sound nearly as good through a cheap amp.
In your price range, you could get some unbelievable amps!

+1

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd forget getting a Gibson.

Play a bunch of guitars to figure out what neck finish, fret size, fretboard radius, tonewoods, etc, that you want, and then customize your own Carvin.

As for an amp, try out an Orange Rocker .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.