hey i've been having trouble getting a note that i bent to do a vibrato especially up in the higher frets. i usually start a little vibrato on a bend with some wrist action, but the note just diminishes off into an ugly buzz. I don't know if there's a certain technique in doing a vibrato on a bend or my hands are just weak, but i would really appreciate some advice. Thanks for wasting ur time to help me...
1- all in the wrist buddy,
2- try keeping your finger stiff while bending the string
3- try supporting the bending finger by adding another finger behind it (two is stronger than one)
4- and if you're on the big strings bend downwards, and upwards for the small strings,
hope this helps
5- you can also vibrato with only your fingers (letting the wrist go) if the bend isn't to hard to reach and your able to add vibrato but try getting used to the wrist action

The long haired friend of Jesus
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Last edited by 68_SG at Apr 13, 2008,
Quote by chichidon
...but the note just diminishes off into an ugly buzz.

How is your finger strength? Is this a whammy or hardtail equipped axe?
Quote by 68_SG

1- all in the wrist buddy,
2- try keeping your finger stiff while bending the string

+1000

The first is a must to get total control of the bending. Also use your wrist to do the vibrato once the string is bended.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
thnx for the help so far. as for my finger strength, it's decent enough to hold and sustain a bend at the right pitch and my guitar has a hardtail
Quote by chichidon
thnx for the help so far. as for my finger strength, it's decent enough to hold and sustain a bend at the right pitch and my guitar has a hardtail

You are doing fine my friend. A fixed bridge will build your finger strength quite well. If you want a laugh, let one of your friends with a FR bridge play your axe (assuming they have never played a hardtail) and watch their face lol. "Ouch! This thing hurts!".

I had that happen with a couple of sales people at Mr E's. I took my Peavey HP in for a one year tune-up. The sales people at the front said "Nice axe!, Let me try that!". They did but each one commented on how hard "those hardtails" are on your fingers. I laughed silently for several minutes.