Poll: Was i right or wrong?
Poll Options
View poll results: Was i right or wrong?
You were right because you may have saved her life even if it costs your friendship
104 84%
Your a son of a bitch for telling anyone that big of a secret
20 16%
Voters: 124.
Page 1 of 2
Well a few days ago, after a long series of talks over the past few weeks, my best friend told me she had been contemplating suicide. This news was a complete shock because you never would have guessed that this person was even the slightest bit depressed. I asked her to get council but she said she didn't need it and she obviously told me to not telling anyone. But After a few days this burden finally was to much and i told my parents. This morning my mom made a trip to talk about it with her mom to try to get her help.

so i'm pretty sure today may have been the last i talk to this friend for awhile because of this break of trust....

but the way i see it i didn't really have a choice- so tell me, was i wrong in telling my parents when it may have saved her life?
Quote by iantheman
I went to school stoned twice. the first time was a lot of fun, but the second time we had a guest speaker from the women's resource center come in, and talk about rape. I couldn't contain my laughter. Never again.
I've learned anyone who actually tells you they are going to commit suicide never do.

However, those situations are always tough. Hopefully she will be able to understand you just wanted to help her.
It's her fault for being stupid enough to tell you her plans and think you wouldn't tell anyone.
You did right man. She will forgive you for it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Is that a serious question?

Of course you did the right thing, she'll thank you sometime in the future.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
you did the right thing
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
You did the right thing. She told you because she wanted help from someone, and she trusted you enough to tell you. Although she may be a bit pissed off, in the future she'll probably thank you
Theres absolutely no time when betraying someone's trust is a good thing, none at all. Regardless of the circumstances, if you have agreed to keep something a secret and you break that promise, you've severed a serious bond.

That said, despite its extremely immoral disposition, it is an acceptable evil to betray your friend to save her life. Understand though, that, even though she probably will eventually forgive you, that bond of trust you broke may never fully recover between the two of you.

I think that you did the right thing by betraying your friend, but you have to understand that in her eyes, regardless of the good you did for her by telling on her, you still broke a promise, and that betrayal can unbelievably hurt someone.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Oct 2, 2007,
youre a little bitch for going to your parents.
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
of course. better to have a living person who doesn't trust you than a dead ex- friend who you'll feel guilty about not helping.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. She told him about her thoughts of suicide and he told her parents. She was saved, she calls him chris because she said he save her(for the ones who haven't figured out, she's using jesus christ for that).

You did the right thing man.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Theres absolutely no time when betraying someone's trust is a good thing, none a tall. Regardless of the circumstances, if you have agreed to keep something a secret and you break that promise, you've severed a serious bond.

That said, despite its extremely immoral disposition, it is an acceptable evil to betray your friend to save her life. Understand though, that, even though she probably will eventually forgive you, that bond of trust you broke may never fully recover between the two of you.

I think that you did the right thing by betraying your friend, but you have to understand that in her eyes, regardless of the good you did for her by telling on her, you still broke a promise, and that betrayal can unbelievably hurt someone.

Boy does that make me feel better
Quote by iantheman
I went to school stoned twice. the first time was a lot of fun, but the second time we had a guest speaker from the women's resource center come in, and talk about rape. I couldn't contain my laughter. Never again.
Of course you did the right thing. When a life hangs in the balance, trust is hardly a matter of concern.
Good job dude.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Theres absolutely no time when betraying someone's trust is a good thing, none at all. Regardless of the circumstances, if you have agreed to keep something a secret and you break that promise, you've severed a serious bond.

dude..... not cool.

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Quote by LespaulsRcool
Boy does that make me feel better

Sorry that came off as kind of nihilistic. I think you had no other choice and losing a friends trust is 100 fold better then losing them entirely.

Quote by Pedalboard
dude..... not cool.

Ever had someone close betray you? Do you have any idea how that feels? It ****ing hurts, man.
You're a good cookie Johnson.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Ever had someone close betray you? Do you have any idea how that feels? It ****ing hurts, man.

know what hurts more?

dying.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

There isn't enough time in my day to describe how many things are wrong with that statement, nevermind the rest of your post.

To the author of this thread; You did the right thing by doing the wrong thing. Is it a breach of trust? Possibly, but it's for the greater good. Asking her to not harm herself personally may not have been enough for her to stop. You're not a professional, and if you made the wrong choice in letting her go on her own may be something that you could regret for the rest of your life. She WILL forgive you for the "betrayal" if she's a reasonable and good person. If she doesn't, let the bitch kill herself then.

I think one of the posters above was onto something when he said that she was 'reaching out to you because you're a person she trusts'.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
she's probably going to be extremely pissed because... well she's a teenage girl.. i'm sorry but a lot of them like drama (depending how old she is) and likely wasn't going to do it,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
know what hurts more?

dying.

Which is why I said he made the right choice. Here, I have something for you:
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
you're an asshole,u should have helped her get through it yourself instead of bitching to your parents

Ya cause I'm a listened counselor...
Quote by iantheman
well she might be mad at you b/c u did break a promise, but she should and most probably will come around and see that you were just trying to help her, so yeah you did the right thing, just give her some time, she'll see the meaning behind you telling someone.

you saved a life! you should feel good
Quote by HardAttack
There isn't enough time in my day to describe how many things are wrong with that statement, nevermind the rest of your post.

To the author of this thread; You did the right thing by doing the wrong thing. Is it a breach of trust? Possibly, but it's for the greater good. Asking her to not harm herself personally may not have been enough for her to stop. You're not a professional, and if you made the wrong choice in letting her go on her own may be something that you could regret for the rest of your life. She WILL forgive you for the "betrayal" if she's a reasonable and good person. If she doesn't, let the bitch kill herself then.

So you say I'm wrong, then turn around and restate exactly what I said? Thats not hypocritical at all.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
know what hurts more?

dying.

I'm sorry but I'm quite sure you have never experienced death.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
she's probably going to be extremely pissed because... well she's a teenage girl.. i'm sorry but a lot of them like drama (depending how old she is) and likely wasn't going to do it,

Right you are. In which case, she'll learn her lesson by getting it up the ass with professional counseling.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Kulvin
I'm sorry but I'm quite sure you have never experienced death.

actually, I'm Keith Richards. does that count?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
actually, I'm Keith Richards. does that count?

I don't get it
Quote by NorseGodofRock
So you say I'm wrong, then turn around and restate exactly what I said? Thats not hypocritical at all.

Never once did I say you were wrong. I said that introduction was stupid and the whole post contradicts itself. I don't need to argue you when you argue with yourself for me.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Kulvin
I don't get it

Banned.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
Never once did I say you were wrong. I said that introduction was stupid and the whole post contradicts itself. I don't need to argue you when you argue with yourself for me.

I said that betrayal is wrong. That does not contradict anything I've said. It is wrong, but that, despite its wrong-ness, its still acceptable to save a life.

Killing is wrong, is it not? But if I killed in defense of a loved one, have I not done a wrong to make a right? I still killed someone, and thats wrong regardless, but it is justifiable and acceptable.
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
you're an asshole,u should have helped her get through it yourself instead of bitching to your parents

People in caskets just "look" like they're listening.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
There really should be no question. I would get my friends help they needed in a heartbeat, despite the fact that they more than likely would want me to keep this "secret".
Nikolas
Quote by zanz1bar
youre a little bitch for going to your parents.

What, he should have told all his school friends instead? Moron.

I think you did the right thing, even though she was most likely doing it for attention.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Sorry that came off as kind of nihilistic. I think you had no other choice and losing a friends trust is 100 fold better then losing them entirely.

but man when it's this serious, you have to take that risk of them getting hurt. Yes it sucks but when it could save their life, I would do it in a heart beat.

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
a fake friend who wouldnt care about her wouldnt tell anyone, but you are a true friend who would do anything to help her...good job you def did the right thing
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Page 1 of 2