I use a B-52 AT-212 100 watt all tube amp, the clean channel is great, but the distortion channel isn't the best, so i'm looking for a good distortion pedal to use on the clean channel to give me a good chunky distortion for rhythm but also a good sound for shredding. Basically an overall good metal distortion pedal.

I've found a few that look interesting to me:
Boss mt-2 metal zone http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MT2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal?sku=151328
digitech XXM Metal Master http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-XMM-Metal-Master-Heavy-Metal-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150204

or something else? i'm open for suggestions
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
i have the mt2, great pedal.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
boss metalcore pedal? it is pretty good quality...you should get that.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
If I were you I would get the Digitech Metal Master. I've tried the pedal several times and it sounds amazing. Alot better and heavier than the usual amp distortion, it sounds different but better! But I think Boss is a better namebrand in this situation but I've never tried the Boss one, but I do know for a fact the Metal Master is reallllyyyy good!
get the boss dude...i just got it and its like orgasmic
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
from what i heard the AT's had great distortion, a cheap mans recto. have you cranked it yet? if not try that, and if that works then get a clean boost. just my 2 cents. Tube amps get dirtier the louder you crank them. I <3 cranked tubes
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
I wouldn't recommend the Metal Zone or Metal Master.

Try out the EHX Metal Muff, BBE Crusher, Krank Distortus Maximus etc if you want loads of gain. See what it sounds like with just a Tubescreamer or Pro Co Rat in front of your OD channel.
My metal muff is on the way as well. I've talked to many people with elecrto harmonix pedals and they all seem pretty pleased with the quality.
dude... tweak your B-52... those things shred... like that other guy said... a cheap man's rectofier... maybe not quite a rectofier sound but it definetely has a VERY GOOD tone IMO

its got a unique tone

but if you are actually going to buy a MT-2 i will sell you mine... i just bought a randall head so i am in no need for it anymore
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
I know I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but you should try the Dano Fab Tone. It's not a bad pedal at all, and you can get those things for next to nothing online (like $25 on Ebay). That way, if it's not your cup of tea, you can still afford to try another pedal.
+1 to the overdrive deal...check out the Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS9, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, BBE Boosta Grande, MXR 10 band EQ, tons of ways of boosting your gain. Best way is to crank dat! lol
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
dude ur amp kicks ass. get tubescreamer

/thread
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
putting another high gain pedal in front of a 100 watt tube amp
something obviously isnt dialed in right, if anything, mess with the dirty channel a little bit and put a boost/od in front of it
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
that EHX is looking quite interesting to me, not many bad reviews on it either.
i'll eventually try allot of them out first but i like suggestions as well.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by lisagabe

/thread

i've heard that tubescreamers are more for lighter stuff

i play drop C really heavy metal, and rhythm guitar.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
well imo, the tubescreamer with that amp would be kind of a waste, because it's nuances would be lost in all the gain
go with an od or boost thats a little cheaper
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix

/runs
boss is way overrated. and so is the metal muff. try sansamp gt-2
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I have the same amp as you I run a metal zone in front of the 2nd gain and I get the beastliest metal tone ever. and btw the b 52 has amazing distortion I don't know what you are smoking...
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
try a zakk wylde OD those pedals are GREAT... i use one infront of my randall sometimes for screaming leads and stuff and it really doesnt affect the tone... just adds that extra saturation if you need it... also you can EQ it to be crunchy or whatever... very good pedal gives a great boost to harmonics and all that... over all... 5/5
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D
Boss MT-2 For Sale
Boss Eq For Sale
just curious^
does your amp feedback like hell or do you have a noise gate?
Quote by EZLN libertad

/runs
i personally like the at's gain more than any of the suggestions given thus far (except throwing an od in front of the od channels). tweak your amp more, and perhaps throw an od in front. it's not a very dark amp, so if you really want a darker tone you'll probably have to look elsewhere...but you should be able to get some very nice tones out of it. if you haven't cranked it yet...i suggest you do (though your neighbors might try to kill you).
i might still be able to switch it for another amp but guitar center charges restocking fee's i think, i've got the special warrantee's and crap for another year but i'm not sure if i should or not. Plus the back of the amp is getting kinda loose so i hope they don't blame that on me lol.

If i do switch to another amp i'll probably look at some kind of peavey valveking or something similar.
edit:nevermind the vk is 200 bucks more lol
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
You don't need as much gain as you might think. So long as you have a (preferably mahogany) guitar with decent humbuckers, not-too-light strings (10s or 11s) and some sort of booster in front of an OD channel with gain at maybe 7.5, you should be fine. And tweaking your EQ helps.

For metal, I would say the B-12 is better than the Valveking. That's just my opinion though.
Quote by lisagabe

/thread

Don't /thread a thread when someone has obviously just done it before you

Quote by ssguitar
+1 to the overdrive deal...check out the Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS9, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, BBE Boosta Grande, MXR 10 band EQ, tons of ways of boosting your gain. Best way is to crank dat! lol

+10

On a budget also check out a Boss SD-1, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ etc. or if you really would prefer a distortion pedal an EHX Metal Muff is the way to go.
Quote by powerage225
just curious^
does your amp feedback like hell or do you have a noise gate?

Ummm i do use a noise gate... but honestly its not 100% needed... i just use it to get rid of the buzzing i get from my crappy cables and the massive ammount of distortion i do run from time to time... but i can get my amp to run on pretty high gain plus the zakk wylde pedal wtihout much buzzing... granted i just rewired and shielded my guitar with bill lawrence pickups... but still... killer tone out of my little solid state randall and i love it...the zakk wylde, again ist more for those solo kind of situations... also if i use the gain 2 on my amp... and then throw the zakk wylde in front of it... its pretty killer too... then i can switch it off for my articulate parts of songs and stuff... its a pretty versatile pedal... as far as feedback... without my noise gate... its easily controlled honestly...
Guitars
Epiphone LP Standard
Gibson L-6S
Amplifiers
Randall RH200 G2 Series
Legion 2x12 Cab
B-52 LG-100A For Sale
Pedal Board
Boss NS-2
Boss Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
MXR Zakk Wylde O-D