My friend needs an "opressive/dominating instrumental song" for her theater project. I suggested a symphonic version of another brick in the wall, and she said it was too sad. And then I suggested "Fantasia E Minore" by Alvaro Pierre, but that wasnt dominating enough. What do you guys think? What song would fit that criteria?
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
what does she mean by opressive but not sad?
Quote by A Rolling Stone
My first date was nowhere near as bad as your grammar
Theme from Schindler's List (if she can play the violin..if not...I could record it for her =D)
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
The Montagues and Capulets section of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet suite would be suitable

I love it...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Apocalyptica is all that comes specifically to mind.

Also try the music from the move "Metropolis" by Fritz Lang. It's got some really good music
The Pit. The Movie.
try one of the metallica instrumentals, like orion and the call of ktulu. sure, they're long, but i think they might be what you're looking for.

EDIT: you can also try thunderhorse, if you're good enough to play that and you take out the parts where he says thunderhorse.
Quote by schecter_guy
threnody for the victims of hiroshima

...Will they be able to make out what she's saying over it? :p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Metallica_Man55
try one of the metallica instrumentals, like orion and the call of ktulu. sure, they're long, but i think they might be what you're looking for.

I love Orion.

If you like Metallica, To Live is to Die has some pretty nice instrumental parts in it.

ALSO: Ministry of lost Souls-Dream Theater
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I think Pelican has a lot of stuff you could use. since they're an instrumental band, you could probably find somethin.
You are not a slave...
'Bladecatcher' and 'Pendulous Skin' both by Mastodon are pretty unpredictable and dominating if I do remember correctly
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I love Orion.

If you like Metallica, To Live is to Die has some pretty nice instrumental parts in it.

yeah, metallica's songs tend to go into seriously long instumental parts, like ride the lightning, most of it is the solo. master of puppets has some interesting parts in it as well. any metallica song could be used, they're not relatively hard, except for some of the solos.
Quote by Spay
'Bladecatcher' and 'Pendulous Skin' both by Mastodon are pretty unpredictable and dominating if I do remember correctly

I'm a huge mastodon fan...but I disagree with that. Bladecatchers pretty much just silly, and Pendulous Skin is more of an ambient trip than an oppressive song. Good ideas though everyone, and whoever mentioned Pelican, you're my hero!
Quote by vintage x metal
Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, specifically in the first movement when the pianist hammers those low octaves - it sounds like prison bars slamming shut. I love it.
Quote by manmanster
I'm a huge mastodon fan...but I disagree with that. Bladecatchers pretty much just silly, and Pendulous Skin is more of an ambient trip than an oppressive song. Good ideas though everyone, and whoever mentioned Pelican, you're my hero!

It's been awhile since I listened to those two tracks, so bad memory on my part. Anyways, that's all I could think of
The Pit. The Movie.
Just about anything by Red Sparowes.

They're an all instrumental post rock/post metal band, and they have concepts to their songs (yes, instrumental concepts).

But their "At the Soundless Dawn" album is about the (inevitable) Sixth Extinction of Earth.

Basically, there have been five mass extinctions over the course of history, with the last being about 50 million years ago, and the concept of the album is based around the Sixth, which, like I said, is inevitable.

Then their "Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun", which is about The Great Leap Forward, which created a famine that killed (an estimated) 30 million people.

Their songs are pretty opressive at times with these themes, but also quite powerful.

Great band.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I love Orion.

Ministry of Lost Souls = Not Instrumental..

Try Overture - Dream Theater, from Six Degrees.

also Death of Balance - Symphony X, very odd timing, but very dominating song.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Ministry of Lost Souls = Not Instrumental..

Try Overture - Dream Theater, from Six Degrees.

also Death of Balance - Symphony X, very odd timing, but very dominating song.

Well I made athread few days ago for instumentals, and this was in it.

I wasn't trying to make it seem like one...I just thought it sounded great =D

Oh, and Liquid Tension Experiment does some good ones, TS
any song from Arch Enemy's new album, but not I Will Live Again, Revolution Begins, The Day You Died, and Intermezzo Liberte

oops, those are not instrumentals!

Arch Enemy - I Am Legend (cut out the Out for Blood part)
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Oct 2, 2007,
Quote by Spay

bladecatcher is ****ed lol. But Pendulous Skin is by far my favourite instrumental by anyone, and i listen to a lot of instrumental bands. I think that that is a really thought inspiring song. If i remember correctly Elephant Man is pretty good, but Joseph Merrick is a little 'happy' compared to what ppl are saying.

if your goin metallica, go "To Live Is to Die".

OMG

completely related to the topic, as i was writing this I was listening to Sleep Climax by Godspeed You! and that song fits your description PERFECTLY.

listen on their myspace.
btw guys, pendulous skin isn't an instrumental. There are vocals in it.
Quote by vintage x metal
Shostakovich's 10th Symphony, 2nd movement.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
if you're good enough, try some buckethead stuff. there are almost no vocals in any of his songs, except for welcome to bucketheadland (at the end) and final wars (the laughing at the beginning) as far as i know, i've only heard like 4 of his songs. they were great instrumentals, though.
Quote by manmanster
btw guys, pendulous skin isn't an instrumental. There are vocals in it.

there may be a voice but it is still instrumental

Deconstructing Towers by Isis is good.

im only keeping this thread alive cuz i like this kind of music lol
hmmmmm........ Dance of Eternity, Stream of Counciousness, 1928 by Dream Theater

Hours of Wealth ( Excluding end with vocals ) and Patterns In the Ivy by Opeth

I love instrumentals....... too bad I can't remember the others XD

and to whoever said Liquid Tension Experiment ..........