Ok, this has been covered in different ways throughout the different threads, but I didn't find a straight answer.

I just bought In Flames Whoracle and I love it. However, one thing that caught my attention was the sound of some of the songs. For comparison, I listened to As I Lay Dying and Unearth. Their sounds (at least on Shadows are Security and The Oncoming Storm) are very similar, and in the case of Unearth, almost identical to early In Flames, yet they (AILD and UE) are grouped into metalcore. In Flames, obviously, are melodic death metal through and through (at least up until Reroute to Remain, but that's another arguement) but these later metalcore bands sound much more like earlier MDM. What do you think?

Now, I'm a noob, so bare with me. The differences between modern metalcore and modern MDM bands like Children of Bodom and Mors Principium Est is obvious, but I'm having trouble grasping the difference between the old Gothenburg sound and modern metalcore as they sound very similar to me. If someone can give me a run through of the difference between (earlier) melodic death and metalcore, I'd appreciate it.
They don't sound really simliler at all, espcially when it comes to those vocals. I think new In Flames is more Nu Metal then anything. And by the way, this has been discussed and closed many times before. So I would just delete this, don't listen to UG's genres, it's basically to just keep forums clean and having us tr00 metal heads separated from a lot of the mainstream metal haha.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Metalcore/emocore bands sounds like gothenburg death metal, because they've stolen everything. Damn wankers.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
They don't sound really simliler at all, espcially when it comes to those vocals. I think new In Flames is more Nu Metal then anything. And by the way, this has been discussed and closed many times before. So I would just delete this, don't listen to UG's genres, it's basically to just keep forums clean and having us tr00 metal heads separated from a lot of the mainstream metal haha.

+1
I've noticed this w/ Shadows Fall, but they're the only "metalcore" (if that's what you want to call a band that death grunts and has solos) that I listen to. I've given up arguing about this shit though b/c people don't prove why they're right, they just say they are, so there's not much point IMO.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
^So Nile, Nightwish & Symphony X are metalcore?
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
thing is that somehow some dip**** kids got the idea that melodic death metal with breakdowns still counts as hardcore.

however.
some bands (such as parkway drive) still have a really hardcore vibe.
some (like i killed the prom queen) don't have much of a hardcore vibe at all.

point is, they use breakdowns and 2 steps, and metal seems to have disowned that after the 80's.

but seriously.
i just use the term 'metalcore' as a blanket term to describe bands with metal riffing, but are still breakdown oriented, and i'm pretty sure that's what most of the metal forum does anyway.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
because In Flames is good and metalcore sucks?
I do like AILD though...
Wenn die Nack einfällt
bedeckt sie die Welt
mit undurchdringlicher Dunkelheit.
Kälte steigt vom boden auf
und verpestet die Luft
plötzlich...
hat das Leben neue
Bedeutung

Burzum "Dunkelheit"
Quote by Metal_defender
Metalcore is Scandinavian mel death rip offs smart ass... i want to Those bastards

Says Metal Defender!
Transform and Roll OUT!
If you can't tell the difference between melodeath and metalcore, then perhaps you are not familiar enough with the genres. Go listen to some more of each genre, and you will be able to hear the differences for yourself, thus saving this forum another headache.

*reported* anyone who posts after this posted will be warned.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Last edited by dead-fish at Oct 3, 2007,
BEWARE OF THE FORUM POLICE!!!

He didn't talk about melodeath ,but gothenburg death metal. If you can't tell the difference, I suggest you start listening more to the genres to save the forum from smartass comments.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
go mongo, i think gothenburg lost its meaning with bands like soilwork and blinded colony, what real old school melodeath riff is there :S....now metalcore tends to use simplified gothenburg structures most often also using dropped tunning (which i call the tuning of lazy powerchords) and well, most often invoking the use of intervals, usually alternated somewhere in there with the lazy powerchords, also, metal core tends to have more/breakdowns and often enough, clean vocals (see soilwork and ****, wigga yo), gay **** like scar symmetry also adds to it, though maybe a good vocalist and decent soloing the riffs are more... industrial like i say =\... or some start stop bull**** with a few interesting moments here and there, and usually ladden with keyboards -like most crap melodeath <.<... save for a few (see kalmah, vesperian sorrrow (look at some riffs assholes), DT (not that melodeath anymore ish... ) uh... those are the only bad ass keyb bands ic ant think of right now <_<!
^ Uh I listen to metal like 98% of the time & Shadows Fall (whether or not you consider them metal, (their older stuff (ov one blood- war within) is more like melodic death thrash or something)) But I don't get even the slightest metalcore vibe from them at all even in one of their 7 or 8 songs w/ breakdowns.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
i said tends to have breakdowns, or more break downs as in some death emtal there are break downs so on so forth now regarding two step i have no idea wtf that is lol
Listen to some MDM, then some hardcore (Hatebreed, Death Before Dishonor, Donnybrook, Sick of it All, Terror, and other bands such as those).

Then listen to metalcore. Bands like AILD, Darkest Hour, and Unearth have a distinct hardcore/punk/occasionally emo vibe around them. It influences their riffs, and is usually present in the lyrics and vocal style. Some have it show through more than others, but it's there.

Also, on the subject of breakdowns, metal breakdowns and hardcore breakdowns are different. Metalcore tends to use more of the latter.
Then you have bands like LoG, Devildriver etc which are metal but are catagorised as metalcore which confuses people even more.
alright how about you describe the properties of what makes them different, rhythmical notational tonal or melodic, either way,