In my tube amp I noticed the 4 power tubes are turning blue, Now this is my first tube amp so I am not exactly sure what this means, but it doesn't seem good. Can anyone tell me what this means? Also I was looking at new tubes and i noticed ratings of easy, medium, and hard, what do these ratings mean? Any help is appreciated.
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
usually tubes aren't supposed to turn blue, and if they do, it's a sign they're dying. if they're supposed to turn blue, then you have quite the uncommon make of tube.

anyway, other than looks, how's it sound? your sound fading in and out?

never heard of ratings for tubes.. check out the tube sticky at the top of the page.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
ouch. good thing i stick with solid state.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Doesnt that have something to do with Oxygen mixing with something in the tube?I dont think thats good either.....
the sound is fine no microphonics or anything like that. should I just get new tubes.??
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
edit: i'd get a new set of tubes anyway, since, like a lightbulb, they're able to give out at any time.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

uhh, maybe?

if the amp is self-biasing, all you have to do is pop out the old tubes and stick new ones in. easier than changing a lightbulb that you have to twist and screw in.

the cost for 4 power tubes would probably be ~$50, totally worth it IMO.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

What tubes should I get, there are so many to choose from. I'm thinking about getting sovteks cuz thats what I have in there, but my friend recommends jj's and groove tubes. What do you guys think?
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
usually the stock svoteks they put in amps are really crappy.

jj tubes are generally darker gain and usually very good tubes. seriously check out the tube thread at the top of the page.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Also, it's not an insane tube question. You could've asked in the tube thread.

What kind of sound do you want? I don't like sovteks, they're kinda dull sounding.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
are the preamp tubes glowing blue too?

and what amp is it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I play everything from crystal cleans to extremely high gain metal. and no only the power tubes are blue the preamp tubes are still orange. and the amp is in my sig..
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah

Whoever said blue glow is a sign of a tube going bad is wrong, its called florescense and its completely normal, ive never seen tubes glow as blue as the ones in that picture but mine always have a blue glow around the glass near the plate.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
...power tubes glow purple/blue when they're on...it's completely normal...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I WANT TUBES THAT GLOW BLUE!!!

seriously. orange is getting kinda boring. and its kinda bland on dark stages too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
I WANT TUBES THAT GLOW BLUE!!!

seriously. orange is getting kinda boring. and its kinda bland on dark stages too.

I just put a blacklight behind my amp during shows. Green LED's inside the amp would be sweet too.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If the sound is fine. There shouldn't be a problem. Like Jon said, they can give at any time, so getting new ones might be a good idea. But otherwise, your amp won't blow up or anything.

Off-topic, I think tubes that glow rainbow would be cool. Then I could tell my friends who come over to taste the rainbow.
Ben
i have a B-52 AT-100, and i looked at the tubes and they're blue, but one of them is not.
is that a problem???????????
I have read that if they glow blue its because they didn't get all of the oxygen out of the tube when they made it, is it a problem, usually not from what I have experienced personally. I used to have a Fender Deluxe Reverb and some of the tubes would glow blue, I have a Peavey Classic VT and one tube has a faint blue glow but the other doesn't, and I just got a Bugera 333xl and one of them glow. All worked just fine so I wouldn't worry much about it unless you notice a change in sound quality.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
yeah, i wouldn't worry too much, i had a pair of powertubes glow blue once. it looks sweet! but as others have stated, having an extra set around is never a bad thing
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The blue glow is actually the electrons reacting with cobalt that is found in many tubes, its has nothing to do with the tube dieing or oxygen being in the tube. If any oxygen is present in a tube the tube will not last, also the silver stuff in the top of the tube will turn white, it is actually put in the tube to oxides, it makes sure all the oxygen is out of the tube.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
The blue glow is actually the electrons reacting with cobalt that is found in many tubes, its has nothing to do with the tube dieing or oxygen being in the tube. If any oxygen is present in a tube the tube will not last, also the silver stuff in the top of the tube will turn white, it is actually put in the tube to oxides, it makes sure all the oxygen is out of the tube.

I stand corrected, and learned something new. Thanks
Quote by Johnbryant

took the words out of my mouth...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Completely normal. My last two quads of EL34's have glowed blue, and still do.

fugedabowdit.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by guitarmenace12
What tubes should I get, there are so many to choose from. I'm thinking about getting sovteks cuz thats what I have in there, but my friend recommends jj's and groove tubes. What do you guys think?

dont get Groove tubes, they're just re-branded Sovteks.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by UnsignedRecords
usually tubes aren't supposed to turn blue, and if they do, it's a sign they're dying. if they're supposed to turn blue, then you have quite the uncommon make of tube.

anyway, other than looks, how's it sound? your sound fading in and out?

never heard of ratings for tubes.. check out the tube sticky at the top of the page.

No its not a sign that they're dying out.

If they're turning red, then its a sign they're dying out.
Quote by al112987
No its not a sign that they're dying out.

If they're turning red, then its a sign they're dying out.

yeah, i didn't know that a year ago
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Lorenzo619
i have a B-52 AT-100, and i looked at the tubes and they're blue, but one of them is not.

Nice job bumping a year old thread

I won't criticize your overuse of question marks because you're from my hometown.
Quote by Lorenzo619

ive been going around here with the same question - and this is my bumb to try to find the answer. whichever tube is on the far right side (even when I swap them around) does not have a blue glow, while the three on the left of it do. plsplsplsplsplsplsplspls
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Yep good on ya. Playin it safe.
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."