Page 1 of 2
I was reading some random thing about the US's economy and i read that even though only like 1% of the US's GPD is from agriculture, 60% of that is marijuana; which is more than wheat and corn combined.

i thought thats pretty crazy considering that its a schedule 1 under the controlled substances act.

so if we stopped growing it we'd probably go into recession.

anyways UG;
discuss.

EDIT: heres a link to ABC news

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2735017&page=1
Last edited by dfc_jebus at Oct 2, 2007,
Definitely not true.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by dfc_jebus
[bullshit]I was reading some random thing about the US's economy and i read that even though only like 1% of the US's GPD is from agriculture, 60% of that is marijuana; which is more than wheat and corn combined.[/bullshit]

i thought thats pretty crazy considering that its a schedule 1 under the controlled substances act.

so if we stopped growing it we'd probably go into recession.

anyways UG;
discuss.

You forgot your tags
even if all of that were true (i doubt it is) if we stopped growing marijuana the economy would not go into recession...there'd just be alot of drug dealers working at Mcdonalds
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
wrong its 27% of GDP
Originally posted by mydadisjewish
people have different tastes. for example, i like good music, u like your dad's testicles.
Take a look at your definition of GDP. Marijuana, as it is traded on a black market, doesn't contribute to the GDP.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Actually those numbers are 100% theoretical, as illegal and "under-the-table" activities are not included in a calculation of a country's economy or GDP. All those statistics are made up by one party in another, and due to the actual lack of marijuana selling and growing information, the 'facts' can be pushed to lean one way or the other.

The truth of the matter is, unless marijuana is legalized (I'm not giving my opinion here, just saying) we'll never know it's true value and taxable income, and therefore any statistic about what it adds to the economy is completely estimated.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
damn beat me to the link. wikipedia doesnt usual just pull facts out of someones ass. especially when it is cited by another source which that factoid was. interesting but i doubt the economy would crumble if we all stopped toking
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
I love how specific that wikipedia link was, it directs you to the United States, which is like a million pages long
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
I call BS. I highly doubt something that is only privatetly and secretly grown and sold surpasses crops that are mass produced by the trillions.
It's true that before it was made illegal, hemp & cannabis was on the verge of taking the economy by storm, as they had begun to discover it's many uses, from making clothes to creating natural 'plastics.' There is an argument that it was the money that hemp would've taken away from companies owned by America's elite that truly led to the ban of it, but personally I think that's just a lame conspiracy theory. Anyways, the point is the plant has potential, even if people aren't smoking it.

I'm not pro drugs or pro smoking, but you have to admit that the value of the plant itself is incredible and the opportunities with it are endless. In my opinion that's the only fact that matters when it comes to the legalization dispute.
Quote by sg4eva
It's true that before it was made illegal, hemp & cannabis was on the verge of taking the economy by storm, as they had begun to discover it's many uses, from making clothes to creating natural 'plastics.' There is an argument that it was the money that hemp would've taken away from companies owned by America's elite that truly led to the ban of it, but personally I think that's just a lame conspiracy theory. Anyways, the point is the plant has potential, even if people aren't smoking it.

I'm not pro drugs or pro smoking, but you have to admit that the value of the plant itself is incredible and the opportunities with it are endless. In my opinion that's the only fact that matters when it comes to the legalization dispute.

Ignorance much?

The truth is, that you can find hemp products everywhere. From hemp lotion, to hemp rope at your local craft store. They make hemp clothes you know? Hemp is not illegal.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'm aware it's not illegal. We have a hemp shop downtown that even makes hemp cookies and muffins and things.

The point is the drastic decrease in popularity since marijuana was classified as illegal.

Get your head out of your ass.
Quote by mr_bill0ws
Take a look at your definition of GDP. Marijuana, as it is traded on a black market, doesn't contribute to the GDP.

seriously. TS needs high school economics.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by sg4eva
I'm aware it's not illegal. We have a hemp shop downtown that even makes hemp cookies and muffins and things.

The point is the drastic decrease in popularity since marijuana was classified as illegal.

Get your head out of your ass.

*pop* There, it is out.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that we should legalize marijuana so we can use hemp products, but nevermind!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by ECistheBest
seriously. TS needs high school economics.

i dont take that class till a few months

im in independant study so i only have two classes at a time
Quote by dfc_jebus
i dont take that class till a few months

im in independant study so i only have two classes at a time

that's pretty cool too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
There are a few components which Gross Domestic Product excludes. Underground economy (drugs, baby-sitting) are excluded as well as things such as home-made items. So no, marijuanna provides nothing for the GDP
Ok, so you're telling me that there is more marijuana fields than corn and wheat? Tell that to Nebraska.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by iceman_8319
Ok, so you're telling me that there is more marijuana fields than corn and wheat? Tell that to Nebraska.

And Illinois.

What's weird is that Wheat is Illinois biggest crop, but all I see is corn
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

The value of Marijuana production cited in the article ($35.8bn) works out to about $120 per American...how can anyone report a figure like that?
And CORT_noob, I apologize for the head-up-the-ass comment earlier. I realize my post was misleading.
Quote by sg4eva
And CORT_noob, I apologize for the head-up-the-ass comment earlier. I realize my post was misleading.

No, it's my fault really, I shouldn't be throwin around the "I" word, when I'm guilty of it all the time(check the religion thread).
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I think by largest cash crop, they mean that, per pound, it sells for the most.

Quote by CORT noob
Ignorance much?

The truth is, that you can find hemp products everywhere. From hemp lotion, to hemp rope at your local craft store. They make hemp clothes you know? Hemp is not illegal.

Its legal to possess and to sell, but no where in the continental United States can you legally grow it; all hemp products are imported from Canada and Europe.
Quote by Hexagram
There are a few components which Gross Domestic Product excludes. Underground economy (drugs, baby-sitting) are excluded as well as things such as home-made items. So no, marijuanna provides nothing for the GDP

F'ing babysitters!

Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
It is in fact the largest cash crop. Look it up

It could be worth 100% of the US GDP, and it wouldn't matter. Illegal activities don't count.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
As mentioned several times before, I call BS on this whole thing because:

Quote by mr_bill0ws

However, claiming that marijuana might be roughly equal to a certain percentage of the GDP might be believable. Thing is, it's hard to gather accurate statistics on an illegal crop.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by RageAgainst...
even if all of that were true (i doubt it is) if we stopped growing marijuana the economy would not go into recession...there'd just be alot of drug dealers working at Mcdonalds

A lot of them already do ...

Also, I don't find this hard to believe. Norml has it listed in relation to other crops in each state, and it's usually at the top. Norml is pretty accurate.
I'd believe that it'd be one of the biggest cash crops in the US. It certainly is in Australia. Reason being that the stuff's worth about $350/oz in at australian prices, so although it's not cultivated in anything like the quantities, the sheer amount of money changing hands skews the figures.

Think about this. There are millions of people who smoke dope. They'll go out and buy a couple of heads for $50 to last them a few days, and then buy a loaf of bread for $2. Still can't see how there could be more money in marijuana than wheat?

Despite the massive amounts of money to be made from illegal drugs, I don't believe they're particularly helpful in overall economic terms, mainly because of the large amounts of money that can be made off small yields

Compared to running something like a Tomato greenhouse (the most similar crop in growing practices to dope), you can harvest a big money crop almost by yourself in a few sheds under lights.

20 thousand bucks worth of dope weighs next to nothing, does not rapidly deteriorate and would fit in a couple of pillowcases. 20 thousand bucks worth of tomatoes requires a forklift to move, has to be trucked in a refrigerated vehicle and must be consumed within 3 weeks of harvesting.

Dope growers not having to pay huge overheads for truck drivers, pickers, a shed full of packers and sorters, forklift drivers, mechanics, onsite medical staff means that most of what you pay for a 20 bag goes to drug dealers, rather than being distributed throughout the supply chain. The money generated by a product like wheat becomes the livelihood of the surrounding area.

Drugs might generate a lot of revenue, but it's highly concentrated in the pockets of a small handful of individuals, who may or may not move their money out of the country, and certainly don't pay any tax on it.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I'd believe that it'd be one of the biggest cash crops in the US. It certainly is in Australia. Reason being that the stuff's worth about $350/oz in at australian prices, so although it's not cultivated in anything like the quantities, the sheer amount of money changing hands skews the figures.

Think about this. There are millions of people who smoke dope. They'll go out and buy a couple of heads for $50 to last them a few days, and then buy a loaf of bread for $2. Still can't see how there could be more money in marijuana than wheat?

Despite the massive amounts of money to be made from illegal drugs, I don't believe they're particularly helpful in overall economic terms, mainly because of the large amounts of money that can be made off small yields

Compared to running something like a Tomato greenhouse (the most similar crop in growing practices to dope), you can harvest a big money crop almost by yourself in a few sheds under lights.

20 thousand bucks worth of dope weighs next to nothing, does not rapidly deteriorate and would fit in a couple of pillowcases. 20 thousand bucks worth of tomatoes requires a forklift to move, has to be trucked in a refrigerated vehicle and must be consumed within 3 weeks of harvesting.

Dope growers not having to pay huge overheads for truck drivers, pickers, a shed full of packers and sorters, forklift drivers, mechanics, onsite medical staff means that most of what you pay for a 20 bag goes to drug dealers, rather than being distributed throughout the supply chain. The money generated by a product like wheat becomes the livelihood of the surrounding area.

Drugs might generate a lot of revenue, but it's highly concentrated in the pockets of a small handful of individuals, who may or may not move their money out of the country, and certainly don't pay any tax on it.

where'd you learn that cheech...drug school?
Page 1 of 2