Page 1 of 2
I need to know what would be a good guitar for cheap. I have a Squire, and I want something better. What is a good upgrade? I want something in the same price range or one step up. And I want something that can get a good metal sound, but I can get most of that from my amp. I was looking at some Ibanez's, but I've heard a lot of good AND bad stuff about them.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Why are you apologizing? In any case, the bad things you've heard about Ibanez were about the low-end models. Look into some RG Prestige models.
Well, I noticed the high volume of threads like this. So the RG's are good? I'll look at some.
Thanks

EDIT-I have a VOX AD15VT...good lil amp.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Oct 2, 2007,
For Ibanez, RGs that are 5xx and above are awesome guitars, anything 4xx and below or any model that starts with "G" (i.e., GRG, GAX, etc.), is crap.
And Uldhippi meant the S, not the SA or SZ. These here.
Quote by which ones pink
For Ibanez, RGs that are 5xx and above are awesome guitars, anything 4xx and below or any model that starts with "G" (i.e., GRG, GAX, etc.), is crap.
And Uldhippi meant the S, not the SA or SZ. These here.

I have to object here. The RG5XX and above models are great guitars, I can't argue with that, but to dismiss everything below the 500's would be retarded.

If you can afford a Prestige or RG5xx guitar, get one. But I can imagine that your budget doesn't allow for one of those. The thing to watch out for on cheaper Ibanez guitars are the trems. If you plan on buying a 3xx RG, don't get one with a whammy bar. That being said, the hardtails are fine guitars.

The S series is a bit different, because affordable models like the S 470 (and the S 320 as far as I know) have the ZR tem, which is a good bridge, so don't worry about the trem if you plan on buying a guitar from the S series.

The general rule in buying Ibanez with floating bridges is: avoid anything that isn't Edge Pro, Lo-Pro Edge, Double Edge or ZR.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
to give you more choice than ibanez, check out Jackson, they have a guitar in every price range, you would probably be looking into the X series for your price range (i think they're about $500 ish)
Dinky
King V
Randy Rhoads
Warrior
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i like my relatively cheap s320

but yamaha's are nice too, look into the AES series

what is your amp?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
What's your price range and what amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
IDK about a price range. Just whatever my parents decide. Maybe around $500. And I have a VOX AD15VT. I'll look at those Ibanez's.
$500?

Ibanez S series
RG321
Fender Fat Strat

Used - RG550, RG570, ESP LTD EC-400, ESP LTD Viper-400, Ibanez S470.
/\

all of these are good options
play stuff and see what YOU like...
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
The Jackson Soloists, Dinkys and King V's are pretty good. Price wise in my area.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I have to object here. The RG5XX and above models are great guitars, I can't argue with that, but to dismiss everything below the 500's would be retarded.

If you can afford a Prestige or RG5xx guitar, get one. But I can imagine that your budget doesn't allow for one of those. The thing to watch out for on cheaper Ibanez guitars are the trems. If you plan on buying a 3xx RG, don't get one with a whammy bar. That being said, the hardtails are fine guitars.

The S series is a bit different, because affordable models like the S 470 (and the S 320 as far as I know) have the ZR tem, which is a good bridge, so don't worry about the trem if you plan on buying a guitar from the S series.

The general rule in buying Ibanez with floating bridges is: avoid anything that isn't Edge Pro, Lo-Pro Edge, Double Edge or ZR.

You seem to be forgetting the Original Edge, which is the most superior.

EDIT: What the hell is a Double Edge? I may be speaking out of ignorance, but I'm pretty sure there is no trem called the Double Trem. Surely you don't mean the Edge Pro II, because those are ****.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Sorry, I meant to say anything under 5xx with a trem is not worth it.

And Sabers (S series) used to be made with both Lo- Pro Edges and with Lo-trs', so if you go used you have to watch out, and not get one with a Lo-trs.

And no, there is no such thing as a Double Edge.
Last edited by which ones pink at Oct 3, 2007,
Anyone else thing he should just save his money and skip the intermediate in the beginner, intermediate, then professional quality guitar thing. It saves you quite a bit of money in the long run.

There are some exceptions but I find squires decent guitars. Good enough to keep for a while at least.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Mine is great...I just want to know what is a good upgrade. And I would save my money...if I had money to save...I have a total of $241ish right now. And with school, I can't get a job.
Quote by which ones pink
Sorry, I meant to say anything under 5xx with a trem is not worth it.

And Sabers (S series) used to be made with both Lo- Pro Edges and with Lo-trs', so if you go used you have to watch out, and not get one with a Lo-trs.

And no, there is no such thing as a Double Edge.

Yes there most certainly is a double Edge, it's an Edge Pro with a Piezo pickup.

And yes, I know the older S series were made with different trems, but I figured the TS wanted to buy it new, so instead of going on about what trems you may be able to find on the S series from the past, I decided to talk about the S guitars you can get today, but mentioned the ZR by name so he knows what bridge to look for in case he is going to buy an older one.

As for the orginal Edge, yes, I did forget it (which is quite retarded because there's a guitar with one installed sitting right next to me)..
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 4, 2007,
lol, so I'm thinking seriously about an Ibanez S series. Would that be good enough? I mean, I don't want to ge tsomething that isn't really worth upgrading to.
Thanks
Quote by Skynyrd890
lol, so I'm thinking seriously about an Ibanez S series. Would that be good enough? I mean, I don't want to ge tsomething that isn't really worth upgrading to.
Thanks

The S series are really nice guitars. The trems are good and the necks are great.
My guitar teacher has an Ibanez. I'll see what he thinks. IDK which kind he has, but I'll ask him today.
Quote by Skynyrd890
My guitar teacher has an Ibanez. I'll see what he thinks. IDK which kind he has, but I'll ask him today.

Just keep in mind that there are a lot of different Ibanez guitars with a lot of different neck profiles and such. It could be that your teacher doesn't like the Artcore series, but that doesn't mean that he won't like the S.

The best thing you can do is try one yourself. Of course you can ask others, but it's best to inform about things like quality, since playability and tone tend to be quite personal. For example, I know that Gibson Les Pauls tend to be good in terms of quality, yet I don't like them and will probably never buy one.
Quote by Skynyrd890
make sure you try before you buy. Ibanez look amazing on paper, but I cannot stand the Wizard necks at all personally.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well, I have to go way out to get to the nearest guitar center(SamAsh), so I'll get to try them there. I just want to know about the quality...and I hear you on the Les Pauls...SG ftw...
Quote by MrCarrot
make sure you try before you buy. Ibanez look amazing on paper, but I cannot stand the Wizard necks at all personally.

That's what I'm talking about. You can't stand the Wizard neck, I love them.
Quote by Skynyrd890
And the Wizard neck is...?

It's the name they give to the neck profile on some of their guitars.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

For example, I know that Gibson Les Pauls tend to be good in terms of quality.

what a load of codswallop.

Gibson Quality control is abysmal, especially when compared to the price you pay for them.

And TS, Im not knowledgable on ibanez or other 'metal' orientated guitars (I know ibanez isnt just metal, but you catch my drift)

But my old bandmate had a couple ibanez's, he had one of the S series, reasonably nice, not my cup of tea, but for someone who wants what you want, it'll probably go nice.
Quote by Skynyrd890
But what is it like?

I think I gtg...Computer Apps. is almost over...

It's quite flat and thin.

I find it really comfortable, but the best way to find out if you like it is to just try it.
Page 1 of 2