Poll: SG or V
Poll Options
View poll results: SG or V
SG
60 71%
FlyingV
24 29%
Voters: 84.
Alright, me and my friend were comparing guitars, and he says he plans on getting a V (faded), and that it will be better than my SG standard. Which one do you think is better, and give some reason plz (playability and sound).
Well I personally prefer playing Flying V's because you can sit the guitar down on your thigh and it kind of locks it in place. For me they are really comfortable to play.

I think SG's are over rated and sooo many people have them (especially red one).

Sorry dude but I am going with your friend on this one, I think his V will be better than your SG.
I like SG's but have never played a flying v i want to but haven't it really depends on want you prefer so try out a v first i think
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
I have a V and LOVE it. I've always wanted an SG. I played one and was blown away by the upper fret access. The V has similar access to high frets as an LP or a strat.
They are both top heavy, but the V will get a lot more bass because it has more wood. Also, I have HEARD that SGs don't like to stay in tune.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
There's pretty much no contest between the Faded V and a Standard SG. If they were both Faded, that's different, but the Standard SG is leaps and bounds above a faded V.
I am hopeful for you.
yeah, the sg standard is probably much better...I mean your comparing a standard with a faded, if it they were both faded that would be different...

edit: hahaha the guy above me already said that, I hadnt noticed
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
You're comparing a Standard Gibson to a Special. The SG wins.

And, even if it were Standard vs. Standard, I still vote SG. I'm not a big fan of Flying V shapes.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Yea, i dont like the way they feel either...

And faded gibsons can be iffy. I played one at a guitar center back home and thought it was horrible, it felt like a cheap guitar, and I went to the guitar center here (im away at college) and absolutely loved it...

but your standard has a better a chance of being a higher quality wood, better pickups, and a nitrocellulose finish which helps a bit with the tone.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ESPaxeman
Well I personally prefer playing Flying V's because you can sit the guitar down on your thigh and it kind of locks it in place. For me they are really comfortable to play.

I think SG's are over rated and sooo many people have them (especially red one).

Sorry dude but I am going with your friend on this one, I think his V will be better than your SG.

that position makes it confortable for my finger but extremely annoying for my legs, it's just a matter of taste

i think they're just different guitars, everyone will find any of them better than the other one
i think your friend's a tool.

generally standard> faded.

i haven't tried the faded v, though, but i don't see why that'd be any different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i stupidly voted v without reading the first post lol. i retract that vote. faded series will be inferior, plus i hate that "aged" paint job, it doesn't look aged, it looks sanded in patches, which it is.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Generally fadeds aren't equal to Standards quality-wise. As far as shape I prefer the SG, but I wouldn't mind having a V. Upper fret access on the V is not nearly as good as a Standard. So I voted SG. It's mostly a taste thing, all other things being equal.
The resonance and frequency response of V shaped guitars has always turned me off.

Not to mention a Gibson faded would probably be the last guitar on my list of things to buy in that price range.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Sgftw
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
I hate Flying V's. When you first pick them up, they can be very uncomfortable. I love SG's, slim body, comfortable to play and carry.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
how can u like playing a V sitting down people, the necks up at some obscene angle and half the Vs in your nackers.

i might just have had it wrong but i hated sitting down with it.
An SG standard is better than faded anything, pretty much.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
The Flying V has amazing sustain and a better neck for metal stuff. It has a really bleh clean signal though. It actually crackles a tiny bit.

I'd take a Flying V faded over an SG anything, despite it's flaws.
SG, even though I hate them, I hate V's more ha
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
haha the sg is winning by twice the amount of the v...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I'd give up sex for a month for a Gibson (or Epi Elitist) SG. I don't think I'd give up eating fast-food for a week for a V...

SG > all.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2