Ok I'm starting to get into scales and I am a total newbie. I get the whole point of wh wh H wh wh wh H. And I do understand scale patterns and all. But the only thing bugging me is when do you go down a string. For example, for a c major scale the notes go C D E F G A B. And when go go from that D to E on the low e, why do you hit the E note on the 5th string and not on the 12th fret on the low E??
You can do either, there are many ways to play the same scale.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

you do this because most people cant stretch their fingers 7 or 8 frets comfortably
Quote by RedSox_o4
you do this because most people cant stretch their fingers 7 or 8 frets comfortably

hahah...i think it's easiest to keep your hand in one position, use one finger on each fret, just moving through the strings
a pattern and a scale are different things, you can use different patterns to play certain scales
ahh i think im gettin the bigger picture now...it wouldnt be too much fun playing a scale just on one string.
^Exactly. Try playing both of these:

------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------2-4-5-
----------------------------------2-3-5--------
-3-5-7-8-10-12-14-15---------3-5---------------

They are both the G major scale but I think youll find one is much easier to play since you can keep your hand in pretty much the same position.