Hey all, I've been registered awhile but am just starting to post on here now (got banned from SDUGF).

I have the chance to buy a Traynor Custom 40 all tube amp from a local pawn shop for $300 CDN. I need something gig worthy, preferably tube, and $300 or under (preferably $250 or less). This fits the bill in all departments, and is better than the other amp they have in my price range; a Fender FM 65R 1x12.

Should I jump on this amp? I play ska and punk in my band, I love my cleans to be clean and my distortion to sound big, crunchy, a little saturated but I don't need high gain. I'll obviously test it out before slapping the bills down, but if you were me in my situation, would you jump all over this?

EDIT: the YCV is 400; outta my range. They have a Traynor 25W all tube for $350, see specifics below.
Last edited by Scum_PunkRocker at Oct 4, 2007,
i would jump on it like flies on crap. the amp is normally about 750 american, so 300 canadian is a steal, provided it is actually in good condition. will also definitely blow the fender fm out of the water and do what you want pretty well.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
no more american vs canadian $, they are worth the same now.

yes yes and yes again. this looks like a great deal
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Awesome. Any further opinions on the Traynor is greatly appreciated.

Also, are 6L6s direct replacements for 5881s? I was thinking of having one 5881 and one 6L6 if so, just for a little more of a Fender sound while maintaining the bluesiness of the 5881 (not that I'll ever be laying blues on stage, but I like to jam some out every now and then).
I think 5881s and 6L6s are the samething,5881 being ther military version or something like that.
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
Also, are 6L6s direct replacements for 5881s? I was thinking of having one 5881 and one 6L6 if so...

They are direct replacements, but you don't want to do that. You want a matched set of power tubes in your amp. Not just the same brand and type, but tested for similar cathode current (whatever that means! just order your tubes in matched pairs and you'll be fine).

And the Traynor's a nice amp, and you're getting a very nice deal on it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Bad News time: He was talking about a different amp that was going for $300, he wants $400 for the Traynor Custom 40.

HOWEVER, he has an OLD Traynor Guitar Mate Reverb with a ton of Prea-amp tubes and 2 power amp tubes (I'm assuming 50watts) for $350, which is the peak of my budget. It's missing the Traynor plate on the grill, but it sounds fine. It's a Guitar Mate Reveb. 3 inputs, one channel, and reverb and tremolo. Good deal? Bad deal? Remember, I need to be able to gig with this amp and play punk and ska through it, and I have a love for old tube amps!
Last edited by Scum_PunkRocker at Oct 3, 2007,
How old are you?

The reason I ask is that I've never paid a full asking price in a pawn shop. In fact, I always do pretty well talking them down. If you're a kid, they might be trying to take advantage of you. You may want to bring a parent with you to do some haggling. I'd think you could get the amp you originally wanted for under $350.

If you're not a kid, you need to chew 'em down. That Reverb Mate should sell for a bit less, too, I'd think.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
How old are you?

The reason I ask is that I've never paid a full asking price in a pawn shop. In fact, I always do pretty well talking them down. If you're a kid, they might be trying to take advantage of you. You may want to bring a parent with you to do some haggling. I'd think you could get the amp you originally wanted for under $350.

If you're not a kid, you need to chew 'em down. That Reverb Mate should sell for a bit less, too, I'd think.

I'm 17, so yeah, I'm a kid (and being a teen, I hate saying that). This guy is firm, I've tried on guitars before, and walked out, and he never budge, and I know a few others that have had the same issues. I'm really interested in the Reverb mate though as it has Tremolo. I don't think he has the footswitches, and the front plate is off, so I'll bring those 2 up when I go in with the dough, try to talk him down to $300 (with those as reasons) and settle on $325. The tubes work fine, so I can't haggle with those as a factor.

It may only be 25W, but I've seen a few tube amps in that range handle well on stage, and 25W tube is definitely as loud as a Marshall MG100DFX which is SS, and those are loud enough for stage uses.
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
It may only be 25W, but I've seen a few tube amps in that range handle well on stage, and 25W tube is definitely as loud as a Marshall MG100DFX which is SS, and those are loud enough for stage uses.

Good luck haggling!

What are the power tubes in it, do you know? I'm curious what this amp actually puts out. I love old amps, too, and if you're into it should serve you well. The old Traynors are great.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Good luck haggling!

What are the power tubes in it, do you know? I'm curious what this amp actually puts out. I love old amps, too, and if you're into it should serve you well. The old Traynors are great.

I BELIEVE 6L6s, wait, let me check, sorry, EL84, which are pretty cool, good British sound, though when I next need to change 'em (I tried it and the tubes are still good) I'll put something different in there, to experiment.

I didn't get to properly try it out as a i just grabbed a random guitar and it was terribly tuned (he has a ton of guitars) but the high strings were okay. He's giving me a 7 day period after I buy it, if I do, which chances are good. It has 3 inputs, so if i can get it loud enough for clear clean tones with the II and III inputs jumped, I will. I'll be setting it t just before break up, and using my boost pedal to drive it into crunch, and my DS-1 for heavier Distortion.
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
I BELIEVE 6L6s, wait, let me check, sorry, EL84, which are pretty cool, good British sound, though when I next need to change 'em (I tried it and the tubes are still good) I'll put something different in there, to experiment.

I didn't get to properly try it out as a i just grabbed a random guitar and it was terribly tuned (he has a ton of guitars) but the high strings were okay. He's giving me a 7 day period after I buy it, if I do, which chances are good. It has 3 inputs, so if i can get it loud enough for clear clean tones with the II and III inputs jumped, I will. I'll be setting it t just before break up, and using my boost pedal to drive it into crunch, and my DS-1 for heavier Distortion.

A pair of EL84's? That puts it in the 15W range. Same power section as a Blues Jr and many other amps that size. What can you get a used Blues Jr for there? I'd expect to pay less for this amp than a BJ.

Jumping the channels doesn't increase volume so much as it increases gain (if there's not separate controls, it probably won't do anything). So it's not going to help you with clean headroom. It'll probably start breaking up around midway up on the dial. I'm sure it's a cool amp, but it may not be enough power for you. Especially if you're dealing with another guitarist. Good luck, though.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I still say YCv40 with KT77's.

I love mine.

YCV40 is $50 out of my range.

Quote by slatsmania
A pair of EL84's? That puts it in the 15W range. Same power section as a Blues Jr and many other amps that size. What can you get a used Blues Jr for there? I'd expect to pay less for this amp than a BJ.

Jumping the channels doesn't increase volume so much as it increases gain (if there's not separate controls, it probably won't do anything). So it's not going to help you with clean headroom. It'll probably start breaking up around midway up on the dial. I'm sure it's a cool amp, but it may not be enough power for you. Especially if you're dealing with another guitarist. Good luck, though.

I'm sorry, I think it's 3 or 4 EL84s. I KNOW it's 25W and it's all tube (there's an identical amp on e-bay plus Harmony Central reviews of it). My band is a 3 piece with me on Guitar/vocals, a bassist and a drummer, so I'm the only guitar in the mix, and if we play a venue too large for the amp, it'll still sound good through the PA. I plan to take off one or both of the back panels so that it's more omni-directional.

He DOES have a Blues junior there, but those are only 20W and the one he has is $375 ($25 out of my range) and to be honest, the Traynor seems more appealing.

I really like that the Traynor has both reverb and tremolo built in and if he doesn't have the footswitches for them I'll find them or possibly make them (using a mouse and 3PDT). I'm thinking 25W should give me enough headroom for small gigs, and mic it at big ones, when I tried it quickly the volume was around 11 o'clock and it was LOUD and pure clean.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it's definitely not 3 EL84's...

And I don't know man, an extra 50 dollars for a lot of extra headroom really isn't that bad of a deal....

I agree, but I simply don't have the money...

...unless I can sell some stuff.

Want a stock tele neck pup? or a Ibanez Bass Chorus? I'll let 'em both go together for $50!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Maybe the bass chorus.

I know a guy who loves effects for his bass...Does it use a normal Boss style adapter jack?

If that's a negative in centre 9V power adapter then yes! I can use it with my daisy chain which my Boss DS-1 is also hooked up to, so I would assume so.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cool, I'll go and ask him if he needs one. Anything to help out another guitarist in the quest for tone.

You can't just ask your parents for like 50 bucks?

Nah, I did that all summer, I cleaned the house every week in exhcange for money, and now they no longer wanna do that.
dude you should just go sell your body on the street for a weekend....screw your sanctity get sexed up and get that amp!
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
what if you BORROW $50 off of your parents? my parents would happily lend me £100+ ($200) so long as they were assured i'd pay it back shortly, $50 i could pay off in a week (I'm 16)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
what if you BORROW $50 off of your parents? my parents would happily lend me £100+ ($200) so long as they were assured i'd pay it back shortly, $50 i could pay off in a week (I'm 16)

I'm already asking them for money related to my driver's licence, so that's out. HOWEVER, my band has an EP on soundclick (check out the "Promote Your Band" room for a link) and so all you forum bros could generously help me buy it by buying a copy of the EP ($2.99 for 6 songs) and enjoy some ska/punk!

As for the prostitution idea, that'd work GREAT, if girls here didn't already know that they can get me in bed for free...

EDIT: Once I get my next paycheck I'll have enough for the 25W Traynor. If I want to get the 40W one I need another $30.
Last edited by Scum_PunkRocker at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by Scum_PunkRocker
As for the prostitution idea, that'd work GREAT, if girls here didn't already know that they can get me in bed for free...

EDIT: Once I get my next paycheck I'll have enough for the 25W Traynor. If I want to get the 40W one I need another $30.

Who said anything about girls?

Maybe you can put a deposit down and have the guy hold the bigger amp for you... ?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Who said anything about girls?

Maybe you can put a deposit down and have the guy hold the bigger amp for you... ?

No, I want this ASAP. And after researching the 25W Traynor, I have no probems with taking that over the 40W, except for the loss of headroom, but a 4x12 in a few months would allow me to get more volume so I could set the amp to pristine cleans while still being loud enough.

.....Or you could all buy my band's EP!!
The problem with impatience is that you may not wind up with what you really need. I've found some reviews on the amp, which describe it as "about 20W" running a pair of EL84's. Like I said, most amps with that in the power section run about 15W (Blues/Pro Jr., Palomino V16, Vox AC15, etc.). I think 25W -and even 20W- might be a generous estimate.

Additional speakers will increase volume and make your sound "bigger," but won't do much in terms of clean headroom; if you need it. Rather than spring for the cab in a few months, I really think you'd be better off waiting and buying the bigger amp first.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Don't you have a friend who'd lend you $30-50 ? I really think it's in your best interest to get the 40w. When you want the cleanest of cleans then higher wattage is a must, that's why 30w is what is usually recommended at minimum for clean headroom at gigging level
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
Don't you have a friend who'd lend you $30-50 ? I really think it's in your best interest to get the 40w. When you want the cleanest of cleans then higher wattage is a must, that's why 30w is what is usually recommended at minimum for clean headroom at gigging level

Nah, I'm friends with stoners and musicians and left-wing politicians, none of us have money!!

That's why you should all buy my album!! $20 in sales and I'll have that 40watt amp!!

Just click here and enjoy some ska/punk: http://www.soundclick.com/Store/byA...m?bandID=723459

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686323