Alright, so im a fairly experienced player, i can play quite a bit of technical stuff..but my question is, why is guitar playing so inconsistant? Some days, or most, i can hardly play anything. it usually takes a couple hours of practicing before i can get warmed up, and even then it seems like im making no progess. I know they call it plateaus, but is there anything i can do to keep myself from starting from the beginning each day i pick up my guitar?
I have the same problem. It takes me atleast 30-45 minutes of warming up before I reach my full potential. I find that running my hands under hot water before I start playing helps a lot as it loosens up all your muscles, especially when it is cold.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to inconsistent playing including: Lack of sleep, high stress levels, not feeling well etc. When you play, just try and relax and don't keep thinking that you are not making progress. Negative thoughts are bad.

I just try and watch as many guitar video's and listen to as much music as possible in order to keep my motivation levels up so I can keep busting through those plateaus.
i have the same problem.. i usually play through a bunch of songs to get my hands going and then do a warm up thing i came up with.

this helps alot and after this, i do exercises for speed ect and i can notice if i am progessing or not..

but some days i cant even play anywhere near as good as say the day before, and there is nothing i can do about it..
MD5K
IBANEZ
I know what you mean. I, unfortunately, can't find the time to practice for hours every day. But, it helps to even play for a few minutes at a time. 10-15 minutes here and there adds up. Plus you get used to playing with 'cold' hands.

Not to change subjects completely, but inconsistency of my guitar tone sometimes kills me. Same tube amp, amp settings, pedal board, and guitar will sound sweet one day. Another day...it'll sound like crap to me. Maybe it actually sounds the same, but I don't like the way I'm playing that particular day. I dunno.
Lucky E: I have noticed a similar thing with my tone sounding awesome one day and then crappy the next day. I have narrowed it down to the fact that "tone" comes from the fingers and not from your amp. If you have good technique (vibrato, legato, bending etc.), this is what gives you a good "tone". Correct use of vibrato can do wonders to your overall tone.

So, if your "tone" sounds bad one day, it is most likely due to you playing bad on that day and having sloppy technique, not your equipment.
Quote by Lucky E
I know what you mean. I, unfortunately, can't find the time to practice for hours every day. But, it helps to even play for a few minutes at a time. 10-15 minutes here and there adds up. Plus you get used to playing with 'cold' hands.

Not to change subjects completely, but inconsistency of my guitar tone sometimes kills me. Same tube amp, amp settings, pedal board, and guitar will sound sweet one day. Another day...it'll sound like crap to me. Maybe it actually sounds the same, but I don't like the way I'm playing that particular day. I dunno.

get off UG

Quote by ESPaxeman
I have the same problem. It takes me atleast 30-45 minutes of warming up before I reach my full potential. I find that running my hands under hot water before I start playing helps a lot as it loosens up all your muscles, especially when it is cold.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to inconsistent playing including: Lack of sleep, high stress levels, not feeling well etc. When you play, just try and relax and don't keep thinking that you are not making progress. Negative thoughts are bad.

I just try and watch as many guitar video's and listen to as much music as possible in order to keep my motivation levels up so I can keep busting through those plateaus.

i second the hot water thing, helps alot, also yeah listen to good music can get you 'hyped up'...

actualy i agree about everything in a post, for once.... listen to ESPaxeman
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
i dont see not being able to play after warming up a problem at all, do you think olympic sprinters or any other athletes just walk onto the track/field and compete?

the human body needs warming up, if that means you have to warm up for half an hour before your bands set starts then do it
Quote by Diamond Dave
i dont see not being able to play after warming up a problem at all, do you think olympic sprinters or any other athletes just walk onto the track/field and compete?

the human body needs warming up, if that means you have to warm up for half an hour before your bands set starts then do it

+1
Originally Posted by Lucky E

Quote by bodomfan666
get off UG

bodomfan666

Well, I had to respond to that.

I noticed on your profile that you are 14 years old. Wow, that's about when I started playing guitar and incidently about when I started growing fuzz on my nutz too. I'm 36 now. Do the math...that's 22 years of playing my ass off. I've been shreddin on the guitar before you were even a stain in your daddy's underpants. So as far as I'm concerned you don't know ****!

I can't practice as much as I want. It's because I have a life. Get one and you may see what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Lucky E at Oct 4, 2007,
usually wut i do first is play different riffs in different styles to warm up, like play some bluesy riffs and then maybe some jazz shuffles, then kick on the distortion and play some classic rock and then maybe some metal, and usually when im done with that ill judge as to what riffs i like better and kind of play in that style for awhile. such as one day ill play nuthin but SRV, ZZ top, Jimi Hendrix and other days im playing nuthin but Pantera, Killswitch Engage, Breaking Benjamin. mix it up evryday and u wont get sooo bored. \m/ \m/ keep on rockin man!!!
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)