ok, i check the search and diffrent forums didnt seem to fit this topic. my band is looking to get a PA, we have a few pieces picked out (one of our friends is selling some of his stuff pretty cheep). heres the problem, we need a mixer and i really dont know much about this stuff. im thinking we need at least 8 channels, 2 vocals, bass, 2 guitars and one for the bass drum. were looking at possibly hosting shows with it but other than that it will be for practis so we can actually HEAR our singer and eachother. any advice on what to look for and products to check out would be great.

thank you
Save up 2 grand, and go to your local music store...
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
You want to buy a mixer with more channels than you think you need.

Any more specific questions and I might be able to answer them.
Quote by thefoundationof
oh xD i thought it said Pa, like as in father.

Ha, so did I... I thought we were gonna hear about some dumb fucker's fight with his dad...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

basicly, i know NOTHING about mixers so i dont exactly know where to start other than reading reviews. im going for a 100-200$ range, i know itll be pretty crappy but as long as it gets us through while we earn the money for something better ill be happy. it doesnt need to be powered, we have a good power amp. hope that helps some, if not please let me know questions i should be asking.

EDIT: Im looking at stuff like this, but i dont know much about it so i dont know what will work for our current needs.
Last edited by burn the stars at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by burn the stars
ok, i check the search and diffrent forums didnt seem to fit this topic. my band is looking to get a PA, we have a few pieces picked out (one of our friends is selling some of his stuff pretty cheep). heres the problem, we need a mixer and i really dont know much about this stuff. im thinking we need at least 8 channels, 2 vocals, bass, 2 guitars and one for the bass drum. were looking at possibly hosting shows with it but other than that it will be for practis so we can actually HEAR our singer and eachother. any advice on what to look for and products to check out would be great.

thank you

my suggestion is if the stage you play at is too large and doesn't have a house PA, don't bother play at it.........
For smaller places all you need is you guitar amps, an acoustic drum set, and a small PA for vocals like a Behringer KX1200 and mini mixer (Behringer)

PAs are pricey and you should save up at least $1,000 before going to buy something

get a powered mixer
Speakers
cables

Make sure the mixer is compatible with the speakers you choose (not the plugs but ohms and watts and all that). or you could risk damaging the equipment.

Best way would probably be going with a set like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPM8420T-KPC215H-PA-Package?sku=630570

Or some of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pa-packages

That first link (Kustom) setup seems like it would work great for you and I recommend it.

edit
so you know nothing about mixers, well then best way to go is with a set like i linked as some powered mixers dont work with some speakers and you risk damaging both units.

You could get two Behringer KX1200 amps from ebay. 120W of power and nice amps...i use one in my studio at home...not too noisey and it was $200 when i got one used...im sure you can find a better deal on ebay.

Add this to one of the mixers for the XLR jacks that the mics use:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

Feed the output of that mixer into the 2 and 3 inputs of the KX1200 as input 1 is a strange TRS setup that doesnt work out great and i have not gotten my mic jack to work properly on the KX1200 without a mixer.

you may want to go higher price on the mixer as 4 inputs plus two stereo jacks isnt much.

guitar amps will be miced with Shure SM57 mics which means one amp for guitar will use one XLR channel on the mixer....two for guitar, two for vox, one for bass drum = 5 XLR jacks min.
An 8 channel mixer will do then:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB2222FXPRO-Mixer?sku=631231

as you can see....high price even with a powered amp or two and an unpowered mixer.......
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 3, 2007,
thanks, ill check them out. where this situation is arising from is a lack of places for bands to play, half of my band is under age there for cant play bars. i know alot of bands in the same spot as us, i thought itd be great to rent halls and go DIY.
Well, the best thing to do would be to go to a music store knowing what you need, and more importantly, what you don't need.

You seem to know what you need, so here's what you don't need

You don't need more than a couple aux sends
You don't need built in effects
You only need analog outputs, not firewire or anything
You don't need any fancy parametric EQ's or anything like that. Basically, look for the simplest EQ interface you can find.

Keep in mind that vocal channels use XLR connecters, so you need a mixer with channels that are specifically for vocals.
Quote by burn the stars
thanks, ill check them out. where this situation is arising from is a lack of places for bands to play, half of my band is under age there for cant play bars. i know alot of bands in the same spot as us, i thought itd be great to rent halls and go DIY.

That's excellent. Don't listen to the other guy. DIY shows own.
another thing, the places we can play dont pay more than 50$ a set. i really want to pay at least the headlineing bands 100$, i know its going to be hard but im going to work my ass off for this music scene.
Quote by burn the stars
another thing, the places we can play dont pay more than 50$ a set. i really want to pay at least the headlineing bands 100$, i know its going to be hard but im going to work my ass off for this music scene.

Again, that's an awesome thing to do. Any local music scene will die without passionate people such as yourself. I've seen it happen.
Yo burn, what are you guys called? Because simply your attitude makes me want to support you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

heres our myspace link, yea the quality sucks and were missing vocals but we plan to record with our friend soon. www.myspace.com/ember570

EDIT: that actually brings me to another point, eventually id like to record the bands live sets so they can sell or handout demos.
Last edited by burn the stars at Oct 3, 2007,
purevolume > myspace. Just FYI. Hard to tell from the quality like you alluded to but what's there, I like the feel of.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Sheez... If it still exists I might, from my last band which has since broken up (bassist basically stole the drummer's girl, ouch)... Let me see (ha, it'll be a MySpace, ironic).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Wow, I hate what I found... It's an old recording of me on both guitars + the bass and drums generated from Sibelius 3... meaning they sound awesome and I sound really poorly recorded... No vocals because we never had a vocalist, also no way to record drums at the time... Nice trip for my nostalgia though.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa