line 6 uber metal
8 14%
damage control demonizer
9 16%
sansamp gt-2
4 7%
Voters: 58.
well yes. which is best out of those?

i play machine head, metallica, iron maiden, lamb of god and yeh. need some heavy distortion and some 80's style tones.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
i said metal muff cus its the best out of those but i really think you should try out the Homebrew electronics Full Metal Jacket.
hav u tried all of them? i'll hav a look at the metal jacket
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
ive tried everything but the demonizer. i already hate the name "damage control" so i dont think id even pick it up haha
pretty versitile. didnt have the richness for me but ive heard the opposite. it was just a little thin to me. but still versitile. its my own personal preferance i guess. stay away fromt he line 6 for sure though. i think its just a rip off of the boss metalcore and everything else that they have for metal.
i realy dont like my friend's metalzone. i had a ubermetal except i fried it with the wrong adapter and i never got to try it out with my current guitars. cant get it fixed cos it'll be a 1 hour drive to get to the shop. oh and im in australia so its hard to find most pedals here.

im just basically thinking about the demonizer and the gt-2. i like the gt-2 for its versatility but demonizer has a tubier sound. so i duno. i might do a bit more research on the metal muff.

thanks leeej
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yea id definately go with the metal muff. you can really go wrong with the muff.
and yea no prob. its 1 am and im bored, about to masturbate before bed and just happy to help
lol seems like muff's the real deal.

phungar, how does ur hellraiser sound through the mg with the metal muff?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I now own a Line 6 Uber Metal, and I like it a lot (I used to own a Metal Zone). IMO, it's great for metal. Each pedal has its own character, and deciding which pedal is "best" is largely a matter of personal preference. But, comparively speaking, I think the Uber Metal offers demonstrably more tonal variation than the pedals listed below that I've tried:

• ProCo RAT re-issue
• Big Muff NYC re-issue
• Metal Muff
• Boss Metal Zone
• Line 6 Pocket Pod
• Line 6 Pod XT

These are all pedals I've actually played through, using an HSS Strat, and listened to on a clean-channel amp. Although I think the Uber Metal pedal is one of the best I've heard, I'd still like a more gentle break-up, so I'm planning to buy a Damage Control Demomizer for its acclaimed dual-tube sound. The only pedal included in the poll that I haven't tried is:

• SansAmp (any model)

Any votes/posts in this thread which state an overall "this in best" opinion, without first identifying which pedals they've actually played, and which pedals they've never even touched, provides little value to those trying to decide among all the products listed above.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 4, 2007,
By the way, I posted a similar question in another thread (Which preamp is best for metal?), and the majority of replies recommended the Damage Control Demonizer.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

ye i've seen ur thread level4. thats how i found out about the demonizer. the samples sound kinda weak for my liking though. will emg's boost the distortion abit?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Which samples sounded weak? I searched "Demonizer" on YouTube, and heard a pretty good demo, called, "demonizer pedal." Check it out! I admit, the GearWire demo totally sucks, and doesn't demo the pedal very well at all. What's an "EMG?"

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 3, 2007,
Okay, I FINALLY found a demo that actually identifies the settings and amp used. This one actually shows the pedal at 100% gain in "nuclear" mode. It's a "Solid Metal" pedal, as opposed to the "Demonizer," but I think it's the same pedal, except that it's designed for amps (instead of for direct recording into a mixer), and doesn't have the built-in compressor that the Demonizer has. All this sound through a little Fender Champ! The 100% part is near the end of the video (of course). Tell me if you think this sounds "thin."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUkG1Omoixw

This is the closest thing I've EVER heard to a Marshall stack at '11.' GAME OVER!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 3, 2007,
Pedals are not hard to find here. Finding them for a good price is another story. Your probably going to have to order one off the net.

And you really should try it out first, seeing as your look at spending $180 +
emg's are active high output pickups. i watched those vids and they sound alrite. but i duno, i got a solid state amp so it might sound crap on it.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Cofflecakes
Pedals are not hard to find here. Finding them for a good price is another story. Your probably going to have to order one off the net.

And you really should try it out first, seeing as your look at spending $180 +

ye i'll probably get one off ebay or sumthing. i'll see if i can find one to try out.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
macaroni:

Well, the whole point (from what I've gathered here, anyway), is to play through your amp CLEAN. Distort your signal before it gets to your amp, and just amplify the pedal's already-processed output signal, without using the overdrive built-in to your amp (otherwise, I think it all just turns to mush).

If you weren't convinced by that last video, I don't know what to tell ya. That demo blew my head off! His guitar had gain up the ass, yet still had about a billion more nuances of tonal coloration than my little Uber pedal could ever possibly even dream of producing.

But get what you like. There's certainly a place for "Metal Muff-type," totally fuzzed-out sound, and I may keep my Uber pedal just for that kind of sound, when I want it. But, at least to me, from what I could glean from that last demo, both the Solid Metal pedal, and the Demonizer preamp represent the Holy F--king Grail of distortion devices I've heard, thus far.

Quote by LEVEL4
macaroni:

Well, the whole point (from what I've gathered here, anyway), is to play through your amp CLEAN. Distort your signal before it gets to your amp, and just amplify the pedal's already-processed output signal, without using the overdrive built-in to your amp (otherwise, I think it all just turns to mush).

If you weren't convinced by that last video, I don't know what to tell ya. That demo blew my head off! His guitar had gain up the ass, yet still had about a billion more nuances of tonal coloration than my little Uber pedal could ever possibly even dream of producing.

But get what you like. There's certainly a place for "Metal Muff-type," totally fuzzed-out sound, and I may keep my Uber pedal just for that kind of sound, when I want it. But, at least to me, from what I could glean from that last demo, both the Solid Metal pedal, and the Demonizer preamp represent the Holy F--king Grail of distortion devices I've heard, thus far.

ye i noe lol.

maybe i'll just take that drive and get my uber metal fixed
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
lol seems like muff's the real deal.

phungar, how does ur hellraiser sound through the mg with the metal muff?

sounds alot better than it with its normal gain
still nothign special
i use my tube amp dun use the mg anymore
but yea im guessing u'll prob use the muff with the Mg but it prob won't sound that great im guessing u have a similar set up to me
its not great but its a small improvement
Sansamp IMO

But i think that getting an AMP that can do metal is better. Getting a darkly voiced and of course, high gain amp like a laney is good if you want metal.

But like, i've tried my sansamps (both my classic and GT-2) with a twin reverb and i couldn't get a convincing tone. Close, but not close enough.

A darkly voiced amp ano/or something like a sansamp is good. You've got EMG's right? Should work

Metal muff is really cool too, really heavy sound, but it just wasn't the sound for me, i just didn't like it as much.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Last edited by Kunundrum at Oct 3, 2007,
yeah i would get a new amp except i live in an apartment and cant piss the neighbours off.
i was thinking of something like a peavey windsor cos its got the attenuator but its a huge ripoff here in australia. and postage fee from overseas would be huge so i duno, i aint gonna be doin any gigs soon and i can borrow my friend's valvestate for a small gig so ye.

i just want an improvement in sound at band practice and for some recording.

phungar-
ye i got the mg15 with reverb, the emg's help improve the distortion but i demand more lol.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by leeej
i said metal muff cus its the best out of those but i really think you should try out the Homebrew electronics Full Metal Jacket.

yeah i would be inclined to try the FMJ- i haven't tried it, but their Big D is badass.

i hear good things about the damage control, but i haven't tried it, and it's very expensive (here in the UK anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Uber Metal. I play one, and it's the best thing for any of your needs. The information booklet even has all the little settings you need for pretty much anything you wanna play.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
You've just a MG15? If you do then I would consider spending money on a new amp. Cube 60 maybe
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
rat!
tryed both a metal muff and the rat one by far

btw its called Pro Co Sound Rat
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 3, 2007,
nah if i get a new amp it'll be a tube amp and i dont deserve one right now so i'll wait.

ye my friend's brother has the proco rat imma go over and try it one day.

the rrp for the demonizer here is $550 aussie bucks, so it'll have to be ebay if i do get any pedal.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
macaroni:

I just played a Metal Muff at Guitar Center today. IMHO, the Line 6 Uber Metal sounds better, and has a lot more variation in tone, than everything else I've tried above (see previous post on page one of this thread). Get your Uber fixed or replaced, and I bet you'll be pretty happy with it. IMO, the Uber Metal is the next best thing to the Damage Control Solid Metal or Demonizer (adds line-out and built-in compressor).

From all the threads and posts I've both started and read on this issue here, if you're looking for an out-of-the-box, full-on metal sound, it just doesn't seem to come easy. The Palomino, Laney, and the rest of the small tube amps, all fall a bit short of full-on metal, according to posts I've read here that have been written by people who own these particular amps. Sure, you can get a decent metal sound from just about any distortion pedal, but at the expense of almost all of your guitar's tonal character (even with the Uber Metal). To get the best metal sounds, here's how I see it, from least expensive to most expensive:

1. Line 6 Uber Metal: $80 USD (not as good as DCD/DCSM, but better than the rest)
2. Damage Control Solid Metal: $200 USD (you can actually hear your guitar's tone)
3. EVH 5150 or Marshall JCM800 head through speaker-load/cabinet simulator: $3,000 USD

Others here have recommended a Tube Screamer-type overdrive pedal through a good tube amp for a metal sound—I've just never heard this set-up in person yet.

The Rats, Muffs, etc. also do it too, I just think among the pedals that cost $100 or less, you get the most variable tone palatte from the Uber Metal. So, you've already made the right choice for you—now go and get that pedal exchanged! YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 6, 2007,
i drove to the place today. the dude said it'll cheaper and easier to get a new pedal instead of fixing it. the entire circuit is fried. damn that adaptor! ah well, i'll go try a metal muff and uber metal next to each other and see how they sound.

thanks everyone and especially level4
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Kunundrum
But i think that getting an AMP that can do metal is better. Getting a darkly voiced and of course, high gain amp like a laney is good if you want metal.

Speaking of Laney's, i've been looking for them but can never find them other than their website.
it seems majority of the people here never tried the sansamp before. I have tried my friend's damage control and it lacks mids. I hate doing solos with it. The metal muff is a great metal sounding pedal. But sansamp beats the metal muff's heavy tone and versatility.. My friend sold his damage control to buy the metal muff. then he sold the metal muff to buy the sansamp instead. never tried the line 6 though. I hate line 6..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

ye im leaning towards the sansamp because of its versatility.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Mothership:

Yeah, I've never tried a SansAmp. I saw a post somewhere here that said it couldn't quite do metal, even with its overdrive at max, so I no longer considered it. At first, I was all hot for the Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1, but again, I can't find one to demo. I've never tried a Damage Control pedal either for that matter. Can't find one to demo, so I'm going to just mail-order it from a place that has a return policy.