Ok, well you see i figured i could dodge extra cost by just shippying a guitar from the US all the way down here to NZ ( which i can YAY ) , but i know the risks, warped necks and all those horrible things ( GAH! ) anyhow i want to know who would the safest people to ship with would be so i reduce the risk of getting a damaged guitar, and how long would it take. cause if i do get a bung guitar ill have to send it back to get corrected under warranty, thus bringing the price of it all back up to the price i would have paid at the store lol + a whole lot of bother. Please help me!

btw, i want to ship a esp ltd guitar if that makes any difference.
Most online stores don't ship outside of the US and the ones that do, know how to ship a guitar. If you buy from a reputable dealer, don't worry too much about getting a lemon, usually everything is in order when the guitar arrives. The main problem with shipping a guitar is the fact that they can get damaged during transport because someone dropped them or something. A good way to make sure a guitar has less chance of getting damaged, is to ask the store to package it properly and ship it in a hard- or flightcase.

Like I said before, most stores know how to ship a guitar, so don't worry.

As far as costs go, this depends per company and how fast you want it shipped. Just keep in mind, the faster, the more expensive. By the way, be prepared to pay import taxes which, depending on where you live, can be around 20% of the original price you paid for the guitar.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
ah, but im not going to get any NZ store to ship it ( theyll rip me off i know from mates experiences ) and how much are hard cases anyway? also do esp organize their own shiping or do i have to order it from somewhere else?
Quote by trollyed
ah, but im not going to get any NZ store to ship it ( theyll rip me off i know from mates experiences ) and how much are hard cases anyway? also do esp organize their own shiping or do i have to order it from somewhere else?

If you want an ESP, you have to order it through a store (try Japan to, seeing that ESP is a Japanese company, so they might be cheaper over there). Some guitars come with hard cases, but if not, they're about a hundred bucks depending on what kind (and brand) you want.
huh really? i though ESP was an american owned brand, ohwell anyhow they still own. Erm well id probably get the esp case for it i supose so itd fit properly.
Quote by trollyed
huh really? i though ESP was an american owned brand, ohwell anyhow they still own. Erm well id probably get the esp case for it i supose so itd fit properly.

Well, the MH-400 doesn't really have a unique/insane shape, so many cases will fit. Having said that, getting an ESP case is a cool touch if your ordering an ESP guitar.

As for ESP being American, you're probably mistaking it for Jackson.
lol i never said the MH 400, im more of a F 400 or ex 400 or Viper 400 guy. And im not mistaking it for jackson, I was just under the impression that esp were an american company. I knew jackson were american though.
Quote by trollyed
lol i never said the MH 400, im more of a F 400 or ex 400 or Viper 400 guy. And im not mistaking it for jackson, I was just under the impression that esp were an american company. I knew jackson were american though.

Yeah, I don't really know where I got the MH-400 from either. It's probably because so many people want it (and it's GOTM right now).
meh ohwell, the MH is the one thats like like a strat shape am i right? cause i like my guitars to have a more "metal" look.
you probably wont end up saving that much money, because of postage, packing, a hardcase/flightcase to ship it in, fee's for converting your money to that currency, and possibly customs charges depending on the value of the guitar.

Even so, lots of places won't ship internationally, and some brands don't allow it, so you'll have to find someone or pay someone to accept delivery then forward it on to you.

If you do go ahead with this, my personal opinion is don't use a flight case, because when the baggage guys see this giant metal thing that looks indestructible, they are probably going to treat it that way. Which is bad, especially if the guitar moves around in it. When sending guitar internationally, I found wrapping it in bubble wrap inside the case to make sure it doesn't move around, then coating the outside in bubble wrap then cardboard or brown paper worked great. Don't forget the insurance, and the mandatory "fragile" written everywhere.
Believe me, I've thought about buying a guitar from the US. Dollars low value makes it very tempting, but with the taxes it wouldn't be much cheaper. I did however order my Fender from Germany for a lot less than what they cost here, but us being in the EU we don't pay taxes. Only 15€ for shipping.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28