i need help.
i dont really know much about amps at all
so can people tell me somethings i should really know?

about watts
and what do those "heads" do? (like the marsahll kerry king signature head) what are they for?

i have a line6 spiderII.
but i want a new amp (the line6 is quite synthetic in its noises)
what would be a good amp to get?
for metal (black, death, doom etc)

my budget is about £150.
so what would be best?
Are you gigging?

Amps are the main amplifier. They must be paried with loudspeakers to produce any sound. Combo amps have a loudspeaker and an amplifier in one package so it saves space.

Generally tube amps are louder and better sounding than solid state amps (apart from use in jazz and heavy metal), and produce a warmer, smoother tone. A good guide to watts is:

Solid State:
<20=Home Practice
20-40=Jamming/recording
50-100=Smaller gigs
>100=More than you'll ever need

Tube:
<10=Practice at home
10-20=Small gigs/Jamming/Recording
20-40=Larger gigs
>50=More than you'll ever need
^^That sounds like a resonable guide...

You need to know where and what the amp will be used for.
If you buy a head alone youll need to buy a speaker to plug into (more flexible but seemingly more expensive), but a combo comes 'ready to play'.

The best thing you can do is to try loads out and see what gives the sound you want.
Roland Cube 30/60, although, really, if you want a good metal sound for gigs, you should start saving money. A LOT of money.
Quote by Horlicks
Are you gigging?

Amps are the main amplifier. They must be paried with loudspeakers to produce any sound. Combo amps have a loudspeaker and an amplifier in one package so it saves space.

Generally tube amps are louder and better sounding than solid state amps (apart from use in jazz and heavy metal), and produce a warmer, smoother tone. A good guide to watts is:

Solid State:
<20=Home Practice
20-40=Jamming/recording
50-100=Smaller gigs
>100=More than you'll ever need

Tube:
<10=Practice at home
10-20=Small gigs/Jamming/Recording
20-40=Larger gigs
>50=More than you'll ever need

How can you tell the difference between Solid State and Tube amps??
And which are more expensive??
Iron Maiden Rulez
i was thinking about a marshall avt100?
thats good right?
about 100watts, £250.
does it takes pedals well?
Quote by salil91
How can you tell the difference between Solid State and Tube amps??
And which are more expensive??

Generally tube amps are more expensive
Tube amps are the difference between your favourite bands tone and your practice amps tone. Solid states are more identifiable from their thinner distortion wheras tubes have a smooth, round tone. This is due to power amp overdrive which is unique to tube amps.

Tube amps sound better when turned up. A tube amp on 1 will have practically the same distortion tone as a solid state. However when it is turned up you get power amp overdrive and the tone is vaastly improved, which is why you shouldn't buy excessively powered tube amps.

When solid states are turned up, they ''clip'' and the tone turns to mud hence why you should generally buy high wattage solid states (although tube is better).

EDIT: The Marshall AVT is pretty crap from what i've heard, get something like a Vox Valvatronix XL or a Roland Cube.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 3, 2007,
Tube amps don't HAVE to be turned up to sound good. They sound great at lower volumes, but really shine at higher volumes. "Vastly improved" is an opinion. Power amp saturation is not for everyone.

Tube amps also work great at blues, jazz and Heavy metal. John Scofield uses a Dual Recto for blues and jazz, and Santana uses his mark IIIC+'s for his stuff. It's not clear cut what tube amps are good for or what SS amps are good for.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Tube amps don't HAVE to be turned up to sound good. They sound great at lower volumes, but really shine at higher volumes.

Tube amps also work great at blues, jazz and Heavy metal. John Scofield uses a Dual Recto for blues and jazz, and Santana uses his mark IIIC+'s for his stuff. It's not clear cut what tube amps are good for or what SS amps are good for.

Yeah I edited my post a bit. But generally you don't want break-up in jazz, am I right?
Quote by Horlicks
Yeah I edited my post a bit. But generally you don't want break-up in jazz, am I right?

Again, it completely depends. Some players like it, some don't. Tube amps came before Solid State amps, so they've probably been playing jazz on tube amps before SS amps came into play. And it's not breakup that would deter people from using tube amps for jazz, some breakup is nice, IMO. Using SS amps allows you to blend into the mix more, and not cut through as much as a tube amp would.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

if i bought a head alone, could i play it through my line 6 spider?
or is that just a stupid things of me so say?
Hmm, ou could disconnect the speaker and attach it to a jack to use the head with. However, spider speakers, quite frankly, suck, and are probably not high enough of wattage to handle a decent head.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12