I have heard from a few sources that sus2 is technically an incorrect name. I am not sure why but a few sources I have read said that sus2 is not a technically correct name for a suspension, I have even seen in some books sus2 written as add9. Please could someone explain this if they know anything about it
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Add9 would be 1-3-5-9 for example, while sus2 is 1-2-5, that's without a third.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Quote by Philipp Sobecki
Add9 would be 1-3-5-9 for example, while sus2 is 1-2-5, that's without a third.
Exactly, a suspended chord (not suspension ) is not an add9 chord. Suspended chords have a 2nd or a 4th rather than a third.

Used for light tension
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
yeah i meant add9(no3) I know what the function of a sus2 is. But I have heard that its a technically incorrect name and was wondering if anyone knew why?
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
It's called suspended because you suspend the third (which makes the chord major or minor) and replace it with a 2nd. If that's no sus-chord, than what the hell is?
I think the sus comes from the fact it gives a sense of suspension and usually resolved. add9(no3) is like something guitar pro would right, I wish they'd make a good chord naming program... We at UG should make one if anyones a programmer :P
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by ElBarto2811
It's called suspended because you suspend the third (which makes the chord major or minor) and replace it with a 2nd. If that's no sus-chord, than what the hell is?

Yeah I see your point. I am just saying what I have read......''A suspension technically is when you take a chord tone and raise it a step in the scale... in other words, a C major chord has chord tones C E G... a suspended fourth doesn't OMIT the 3rd, rather raise it up to be a 4th... then it resolves back down to it (traditionally)...

When you lower the third to the second degree, it does the same sort of thing as a suspension, and is commonly called suspensions in today's pop theory... but technically it isn't a suspension but something like a ritardando (can't remember the exact term for it... I remember it starts ''

I found this from some forum and didnt write it.