hi all! im new at this guitar thing.. actually i started playing 2 weeks ago
i dont know what to practice and how to start. well i heard about this "canon rock[/" and im practicing the intro.. is it possible to learn this music for 2-3 months or something???
or is practicing canon for a beginner a bad idea??

can some1 guide me please... id be glad if someone could help me....
thanks....
Last edited by nips101 at Oct 3, 2007,
I think canon rock is way to advanced for you, the guy you told to practice that was probably just pullin' you leg... The first couple of months you should really just focus on having fun and learning how to play some simple songs you like. So, what do you like listening to?
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
i like listen to incubus bon jovi and other bands...
i like to hear those leads.. its the one pushing me to play a guitar..
You wanna play leads? Hmmm... You should check out hard rock bands like AC/DC and Black Sabbath, they don't sound much like incubus or bon jovi but if you're on the way to be a lead guitarrist their solos are quite simple, sound really cool and will devolop your speed and accuracy. Check out AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Black Sabbath's Iron Man

Edit: And remember that pacience and focus are one of the best friends a guitarrist can have. Get a metronome and start really slow, playing as relaxed as you can, then when you have mastered the licks and leads increase the speed a little bit, then a little bit, and after that a little bit more until you reach the normal speed. Keep doing that until you can put the original player to shame!
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Last edited by Omni-Ragnarok at Oct 3, 2007,
thanks u..
so im reading this questions about stuff's that even thought they are praticing for 1 year now it seems they dont improve or something..
is patience really the key to learn in short time??
Take lessons from a teacher.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I think the key is really correct practice and pushing yourself. If you only play powerchords you'll never learn to do anything else, you need to be ambitious and try to play the hard stuff, even if the seems impossible. It's impossible today, but someday it'll be hard, then it'll be challenging, then it'll be easy... And a teacher can really help you, or doom you. Play for a year or so then get one, by then you'll be able to tell if he's a good teacher or not.
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Quote by Hart_Attack
I've been playing for about 2 or 3 months now, and I've learned all my chords and all that stuff. Right now I'm trying to learn some GNR riffs. No soloing obviously, but right now I'm learning the lead to Sweet Child of Mine. Everything but the solo anyway. You just have to find music you like. I'm a Bon Jovi fan also and they have a lot of good music you can practice also. Some of it's easier then others. Start with the easy stuff, don't try to hit a home run right off the bat. I play at least an hour a day. Learing stuff you like is the key not to get bored. If you just sit and play chords then it can get a little boring.
thanks guys... ill really try hard to pursue this.. ill keep intouch with this site!!!
Nips

I, like you, have only been playing for a matter of weeks.

I was torn between getting a tutor and teaching myself, and opted for the latter - I'm not looking back! I have a book called "10 Minute Guitar Workout" by David Mead - which is aimed at people who don't have hours a day to practice.

It gives you structured exercises which help with all aspects of guitar such as timing, muscle strengthening, hand co-ordination etc - and it's a great book because it's not overly preachy on theory. It tells you what you need to know.

I've only been using it for a few days really and I can play riffs from Kaiser Cheifs, Gary Moore, Fratellis etc - so maybe give that a go?

Like others have said, playing stuff you like is the key. Combine this with the structured excercises and I've found it works a treat. The best thing is you are in complete control of the pace at which you advance - you don't have tutors pushing you harder than you can manage or letting you amble along without any real progression. There are guides in the book which let you chart your own progress based on the number of times you can accurately do each excercise in 2 minutes.

I found it to be a great help. Might be work checking amazon/ebay and seeing if you can grab a cheap copy.

I just got an Ibanex GAX30 and Crate FlexWave amp and I'm in heaven!

Hope this helps
Martin
when i first started playing guitar i learned "radio" by alkaline trio, its just one guitar the whole song and you can sing along with it (if you like the song otherwise just play), its got a bit of easy leadwork and rhythm and if you have performance opportunities you should give this a shot. you should also try some blink 182, regardless if you like it or not, itll help your rhythm and its not hard either.
Sigs are too hard to think up
I play lead the first song I played was "Wonderful tonight" Eric Clapton It's a basic solo that will allow you to get your palm muting techniques and bends and timing I just sat there learning my techniques once I done that I moved on to struming cords in time with the music, this helped me not only get better timing but my wrist and fingers were less clumsy.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
I can recommend Californication - Red hot chilipeppers The intro sounds very cool and people will think so to, just get the intro smooth and when you have that. You can start jamming the faster parts. But it's a pretty goood beginner song i think. I've been playing on a acoustic for 1 month now i know like, Seven Nation army (one string version riff), Smoke on the water riff ( string 5 & 4), Simpsons theme, Knockin on heavens door (very easy), Brain Stew (can't play it nicely on my acoustic =-( , Iron Man (same thing with that) and then the intro to Carlifonication. Anyway i think you just gotta have fun and say if you like simpsons learn the theme it's very easy and fun to play. Or whatever you want. Just take somthing basic.
Quote by Blomman
Anyway i think you just gotta have fun and say if you like simpsons learn the theme it's very easy and fun to play. Or whatever you want. Just take somthing basic.

oh really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqKxZhM1NI

anyways i'd suggest learning scales and theory (if your teacher didn't teach you yet) and the just start learning easy solo songs, as other people have said, there is some good RHCP to learn etc. Just stay away from canon for now... and it's really not that cool anymore because everybody wants to learn it.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Write a list of 15 bands you like, and 1-3 songs by each of those bands. Listen to them again. Does the guitar sound tough? It probably is a little. Try to pick some songs with what sounds like chords, and try to pick some songs with a little bit of lead. Then, take these revised picks, and look up the tabs for them. Mess with them for a few minutes. In anywhere from 5-20 minutes, you'll have found a few songs you can likely work on playing. Having a few songs you really like to play keeps you interested in playing the guitar long enough to learn the basics (and what seem like the hard parts at the beginning).

Now, I'd also highly suggest a teacher. Most teachers will just show you the basic theory, and get more advanced as you go. A lot of people will say they are self taught because they didn't want their "style influenced," but to be honest, their aren't many guitarists going around that sound just like their teachers. It rarely happens. Check it out. It might be fore you. If not, learn the G, C, and D scales. Learn all the open chords.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
when i started i just had fun playing some greenday songs ( i liked it that time and some are still ok now haha) until i got the hang of just playing riffs then i started to get into leads and harder stuff.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
List of funny and parts of songs / easy song to learn, well in my opinion :P

AC/DC - Back In Black (intro)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/ac_dc/back_in_black_intro_tab.htm

Simpsons Theme (easier than it looks, just practice a short while and it will sound nice)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/green_day/simpsons_theme_tab.htm

Doom Theme
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_computer_games/doom_theme_ver3_tab.htm

Legend Of Zelda - Epona
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_computer_games/legend_of_zelda_-_epona_tab.htm

Blink 182 - Dammit
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/blink_182/dammit_tab.htm

TIP: listen to the song and look at the tab and get the rythm right, specially and Dammit, can be hard before you get all right. But think of songs thath you like. Computer games and so one have pretty nice and easy song to learn. Had the same problem in the start but just play what you like and try to learn as much things as possible.
First thing i learn was the main riff of Highway to Hell, and Dirty Deeds both by AC/DC
Manchester United
thnx guys! im practicing highway to hell now but im getting the hard time with the lead after the chorus.. im trying to learn the timing of it..

ill try other songs if i nailed this one..

and im still practicing the intro of canon hehehehe...
guys what do you think should i learn first..

the chords, tabs, or power chords???
Chords first - and forget Canon....it'll be a couple of years before you're ready for it!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn your theory, man. Start off with your theory ASAP. It might seem quite nerdy, but it really is a crucial part of playing just about any instrument. You'll realise it's necessity in the long run. Besides it's quite fun on its own too.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
ok ill try some stuffs mix em together and practice chords and power chords first ^_^!
i wish i could turn back time when i was still a teenager.. grrrr!!!!
im already 21 now and i wish i learn how to play guitar on my teenager days T_T!!!
Quote by nips101
im using an electric guitar...

O RLY? He means specifics. Brand and Model.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Quote by nips101
hi all! im new at this guitar thing.. actually i started playing 2 weeks ago
i dont know what to practice and how to start. well i heard about this "canon rock" and im practicing the intro.. is it possible to learn this music for 2-3 months or something???
or is practicing canon for a beginner a bad idea??

can some1 guide me please... id be glad if someone could help me....
thanks....

if you mean the canon in D for guitar, don't even attempt it until you've been playing for like a year at least. i can't play it and i've been going a year and a half. i know several people who have been playing a decade and can only barely play it.

why?

it's a symphony piece arranged for single guitar.

thats why.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone