So I've been looking at the PGM301 for some time now and I was wondering what the point of having a reverse headstock is....

More sustain? Just my guess....

Also, I just played an Ibanez S Prestige guitar the other day...

To be honest, the neck felt a bit weird (may take time to get used to) and the guitar felt insanely thin, and the guitar wouldn't stay in tune! The ZR bridge killed it.

So comparing that guitar to the PGM301...eh?

Your views?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
the point of the headstock is probably cosmetic
Quote by greety

Yes we also shot JFK and faked the moon landing here at the UG Metal Forum.
I think the PGM301 is one of the coolest looking guitars available right now. The headstock is just a cosmetic touch, just like the fake F-holes.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
It probably is just cosmetic...though it is interesting that because of the headstock, the 1st string (e usually) is the shortest and the 6th (E) the longest. If I remember right, Hendrix used a reverse headstock for the '69 Woodstock concert.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
It probably is just cosmetic...though it is interesting that because of the headstock, the 1st string (e usually) is the shortest and the 6th (E) the longest. If I remember right, Hendrix used a reverse headstock for the '69 Woodstock concert.

Hendrix had a reverse headstock because he played a righthanded guitar upside down and restrung normally, his flying V was like that its just a coincidence that strats have a oneway headstock, he didnt reverse it you knob it was because he couldnt get a left handed guitar. He only ever owned one left handed guitar and it was stolen.
Jackson started the reverse headstock thing for cosmetics. Its all just looks.
Quote by stratocaster54
Hendrix had a reverse headstock because he played a righthanded guitar upside down and restrung normally, his flying V was like that its just a coincidence that strats have a oneway headstock, he didnt reverse it you knob it was because he couldnt get a left handed guitar. He only ever owned one left handed guitar and it was stolen.

calm down there my friend.

Yeah, I thinks its mainly just cosmetics, looks pretty cool in my opinion.
the treble strings will (probably) feel a little tighter, and the bass strings a little looser. that's the theory anyway... i have one on my kramer, and i'm not too fussed, on most guitars, IMO, the bass strings are already loose enough, while the treble strings are already tight enough. of course, you might not notice. I'm not fussed on the looks either, but obviously that's personal preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Getting an S Prestige is exactly the same as getting an S series, they are all almost the same except for the pickups, 5pc. neck and cosmetics. Still MIK, IMO, not worth it.

PGM301s are great, tested many of them, can get enough of it. However, you mey need to get use to the volume knob being farther than normal RGs.

If you're in a budget, an MTM2 is also a great buy.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Dave_Mc
the treble strings will (probably) feel a little tighter, and the bass strings a little looser. that's the theory anyway... i have one on my kramer, and i'm not too fussed, on most guitars, IMO, the bass strings are already loose enough, while the treble strings are already tight enough. of course, you might not notice. I'm not fussed on the looks either, but obviously that's personal preference.

IMO, I think it feels the same really (comparing my RG5EX1 to my DK2T and Saber)
yep, i mean i should have added that the nut is narrower on my kramer, and that might be affecting things too. But i'm reasonably sure that the general consensus is that it feels a little different, though of course it could be slight. I know some people prefer it...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, i mean i should have added that the nut is narrower on my kramer, and that might be affecting things too. But i'm reasonably sure that the general consensus is that it feels a little different, though of course it could be slight. I know some people prefer it...

Probably has to do with the nut then. I think the reason people say its a little different is its a psychological thing, and there probably isn't a difference, but we seem to think it.
nah, i mean i've definitely heard it affects it. more than i've heard the nut would affect it. but obviously when mine has both of those different to my other guitars, it's impossible to say if it's one, the other, or both...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually, from a physical point of view, out of two identical strings tuned to the same pitch, the longer string will have a greater overall tension, and thus be tighter. So a reverse headstock tightens up the bass strings, and loosens the treble a bit. Results - easier bends on the treble strings, less floppy bass strings. G and D aren't affected as much (those pretty much stay in their places).

You might argue the string tension advantage of a string-through-body guitar over that with a stoptail or a locking trem on the same basis. STB has the greatest string length in the system, and to me personally, feels tighter than a trem or a stoptail of the same scale.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
so i got it backwards, then?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
so i got it backwards, then?

To be honest, a locking nut on yours will invalidate the theory anyways, since it effectively makes all strings the same length. On FR guitars, tension can be different before the nut and after it, so it's not really a free system - and that's why you always have to finetune it after you just lock the nut.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
That's great to hear.

Well, I personally really like the looks of the PGM301 (including the reversed headstock...even though it may not affect anything )

I just need to find a store that has it available for me to try!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by pifty
To be honest, a locking nut on yours will invalidate the theory anyways, since it effectively makes all strings the same length. On FR guitars, tension can be different before the nut and after it, so it's not really a free system - and that's why you always have to finetune it after you just lock the nut.

that's what i thought, but i read somewhere (guitarist magazine, maybe?) that said that even with a floyd, you'd notice it.

I dunno. I mean, i've read stuff that I'd have considered "wrong", in magazines before.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's what i thought, but i read somewhere (guitarist magazine, maybe?) that said that even with a floyd, you'd notice it.

I dunno. I mean, i've read stuff that I'd have considered "wrong", in magazines before.

Hey, someone might notice it, I'm sure. I'm just saying that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from the "Laws of Nature" point of view.
the PGM301 is a classic look.. with a modern touch.. The headstock.. thats shizzel
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Seeing as the PGM has a fixed bridge it won't really go out of tune as much as a tremolo bridge.

The PGM300 had an Edge trem and that NEVER goes out of tune. The trem was removed from the PGM models because Paul doesn't use them anymore.

If you look at his white PGM you can see the off color of where he filled in the trem cavity and it still has the locking nut on it.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Well, if the bridge is anything like the ZR one...I don't think I'll be going near the PGM300. It felt so akward doing palm mutes.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by stratocaster54

Actually he could get left handed ones, but right handeds were cheaper. He did also have his custom V which was left handed...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
all i know is that there are too many people around here called ibanez edge, and I'm getting confused...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
The custom V was only used at Isle of Wight the others were right handed. But he also used right handed strats because the controls were easier to access and the trem was up the top. SRV thought he was as hardcore as Hendrix so he reversed his bridge.
Quote by Dave_Mc

What, you mean like when Total Guitar said a Metal Muff was worse than a Metal Zone?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?