Everyday here and other places on the internet I hear of a new punk band. I mean, we all know punk can tends to be lacking complexity in the writing, but wouldn't eventually it all sound like the exact same thing after a while? Or has it already happened? Half the time I can't really tell the difference in most bands I hear here.

We need more sub genres. That will fix everything.
no we dont. we dont need any more subgenres. pls dear god pls.
its because of pple who think like you, more and more subgenres are created by the second once the slightest bit of time signature change or vocal difference, or drum beat or lyrical issues are different. its another -core. who cares whats its called. as long as its punk to you
We need to add -core to everything.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by recklessnick
no we dont. we dont need any more subgenres. pls dear god pls.
its because of pple who think like you, more and more subgenres are created by the second once the slightest bit of time signature change or vocal difference, or drum beat or lyrical issues are different. its another -core. who cares whats its called. as long as its punk to you

It was sarcasm. I call everything whether it be crust, oi, hardcore, anarcho, art, garage, gothic, glam, horror, skate, christian, celtic, chicano, or any that other **** I got off Wikipedia, punk.

It's just pure silly.
We just need bands to focus on writing good tunes instead of farting about trying to do something "new and groundbreaking". People have to face it in rock music that everything has been done before, but still that doesn't mean you can't write a good song.
Punk is arguably the most important thing to happen in rock music the last 40 years. Hardcore, post-punk, new wave, indie, alternative, pop-punk are all (obviously) heavily influenced by punk rock, but I believe that punk rock itself is "dead". I realize that it's near blasphemous to say that in the punk rock forum, but there's really not anything new to be done inside the strict genre that is punk. I'm sure you can still make kickass punk songs, but those songs wont be "groundbreaking" or anything, they wil just be kickass punk songs. To me, punk rock was something that just came along to totally remodel the face of music and change it forever.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for punk music. As I mentioned earlier, it opened the door for so many other genres and without it, much of the music that we have today and most of the bands that I listen to today would exist at all.
Quote by element4433

agreed.
but sometimes you need a double-core, and it doesn't sound good. Like hardcore-core.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Ghandhi was the greatest shredder ever.

Quote by Siftings
Ian Mackaye confuses a shot of heroin with his insulin, and hilarity ensues.
Quote by European Son
Punk is arguably the most important thing to happen in rock music the last 40 years. Hardcore, post-punk, new wave, indie, alternative, pop-punk are all (obviously) heavily influenced by punk rock, but I believe that punk rock itself is "dead". I realize that it's near blasphemous to say that in the punk rock forum, but there's really not anything new to be done inside the strict genre that is punk. I'm sure you can still make kickass punk songs, but those songs wont be "groundbreaking" or anything, they wil just be kickass punk songs. To me, punk rock was something that just came along to totally remodel the face of music and change it forever.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for punk music. As I mentioned earlier, it opened the door for so many other genres and without it, much of the music that we have today and most of the bands that I listen to today would exist at all.

Who cares about being "groundbreaking?" Just make good tunes and enjoy yourself.
Usually people who try and be "groundbreaking" and "original" suck.

You just are groundbreaking and original.

I'd just as soon rock out though.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by element4433

yeah, like nardcore, and the big one

LAMECORE
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Everyday here and other places on the internet I hear of a new punk band. I mean, we all know punk can tends to be lacking complexity in the writing, but wouldn't eventually it all sound like the exact same thing after a while? Or has it already happened? Half the time I can't really tell the difference in most bands I hear here.

No, not really. The only the bands that set out with exact formulas and bands they want to copy will. And who cares about them anyway? When I jam with my band we just play what we want to play. We don't want to sound exactly like a specific other punk band but we don't want to go out of our way to be original. As long as there are bands that play their music the way they want to and express themselves through it music of any genre will not become static.

People have been asking these questions about every genre of music for as long as music has been around. It's really not worth worrying about.

EDIT: And whyvern is right. On my campus original tends to mean that the band will have a singer who sings stupid, pseduo-deep lyrics in a voice suggesting that a ferret just bit their balls, the guitarist will play almost exclusivly on the G,B and E strings, the bassist may as well not exist, the drummer will crash the cymbals dramatically at the end of every freakin' measure and the music overall will be played coma-inducingly slowly, with a few faster songs to show how wild and hip the band is, while a miasma of pretentiousness permiates the room.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Oct 3, 2007,
Quote by RockThe40oz
Who cares about being "groundbreaking?" Just make good tunes and enjoy yourself.

I care about groundbreaking. I do enjoy non-groundbreaking kickass tunes, though. Music doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyable, I agree. It kind of sucks if you hear something that you feel have been done a billion times, though. That's why you'll eventually need something new to come along and that's probably the main reason why people broaden their musical tastes.
Quote by European Son
I care about groundbreaking. I do enjoy non-groundbreaking kickass tunes, though. Music doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyable, I agree. It kind of sucks if you hear something that you feel have been done a billion times, though. That's why you'll eventually need something new to come along and that's probably the main reason why people broaden their musical tastes.

Well punk has evolved a LOT more than people think. In America alone, it's gone from 77 style ramones to 80s hardcore style government issue and minor threat to the street punk bands of the 90s ala a global threat and the virus to folk punk bands like mischief brew, with all styles continuing throughout the entire course.

It's a great genre and I can't see how anybody can say it's dead when it's under constant evolution. Even in every step of the evolution, the style is so prominent that those kinds of bands still exist and are still being formed.
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Oct 4, 2007,
I think it has to do with punk scene being more like acceptable to like unsigned bands. and.. my memory is ****ed.
smoke weed
peace & chemicals
Gogol Bordello is a punk band with what Imagine Borat to be like, if he was to be in one.

But I honestly don't care about classifications on music in general. But, it helps for me to group what's crap and what isn't with each other. But then again that isn't always the truth. There are alot of ska bands I don't like, alot of punk bands I don't like, there's a few rap songs I like, a few techno songs I like, a few classical songs I like, a few county songs, a few boy bands songs I like.

I just like what I like I guess. But most of it is ska and punk, so I'm a ska punxy kid thing.

I get tired of thinking about it. Logic-core.
It's not that we need more "subgenres", we need more creativity and willingness to progress the sound of punk. I listen to a lot of old school punk and hardcore punk, and I love that music to death, but when it comes to me actually playing music with my band, I really don't want to be rehashing that sound. I want to do something fresh and new, but still as intense, aggressive, and confrontational as the old punk.

I listen to a lot of newer experimental "hardcore" stuff because I see it as a progression of punk and hardcore; it's given the genre a creative edge and still maintains the intensity and confrontation. Some great bands are The Locust, Daughters, Circle Takes the Square, Orchid, Saetia, etc. To me, these bands are punk that's not afraid to "grow up".
Quote by sargasm
Just listen to Gogol Bordello and **** everything else.
tr00 dat
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yeah, let's add more subgenres. That way some one can say "this is a ****ty punk band" and the kid next to him can go "they aren't punk, they are post-hardcore anarchist d-beat ska-core . You just don't like this subgenre of music."

Actually, we should classify bands. Bands would classify themselves as things such as "we're kind of riot-ska, but we have a lot of reggae influences, but we often use hardcore drumming techniques with 77 punk style guitar riffs."

That way I can know that each of their songs will sound exactly the fvcking same.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I don't give a 5 ****s about the mentality of punk or rebellion. I like money, proper justice and laws with reasons.

But I hate the law now. Anarchy on my counties god damn justice system, kay?
This is how I see it. You're complaining about punk not having enough variety but if punk sounded different then you would probably complain that it wasn't punk. There's no way everybody can be happy.
Quote by asbestospie
agreed.
but sometimes you need a double-core, and it doesn't sound good. Like hardcore-core.

damn, I had that idea too, but i think it should be corehardcore
if every band wants to do something groundbreaking, they will usually sound stupid or sound exactly like something else.

punk bands never do it for fame or money, its just like fun for them. thats why most of them dont give a **** if they;re not going anywhere