Page 1 of 2
so i went to cologne yesterday (huge city in germany, big music store) to try out some of the amps i was interested in

in the end i only got to try 3 amps though...didn't have too much time unfortunately

but i tried the Orange Rocker 30, Laney VC-15 210 (the vc30 212 was there too...but at the bottom of some amp tower and i didnt wanna break anything), and the Vox ac30cc2x

Rocker 30

Gabe's gonna kick my ass for this, and Jin will too, probably, but "thats just like...my opinion man" (what movie is that from huh? )
i didnt like it too much, well, i liked it, but i wasnt overly impressed with it. you know, hearing that the rocker is a plexi or jcm800 on steroids with a good clean channel, i expected a great amp. well, i got a good amp, but nothing more. the clean channel was pretty good, i played on that a lot - cranked it too (wasnt that loud i thought) and it got a goood amount of gain too, but the gain channel didnt impress me a whole lot. to me, it kinda was, uh dunno, unresponsive....ya know, it didnt go where i wanted it to go with my playing, didnt cooperate a lot....it did get a lot of gain going, but thats not what im looking for in an amp, so i moved on
oh, and the missing reverb is a huge con for me too (i only found that out after i tried the other two amps with reverb though)

anyway, good amp, too expensive for what it gave me though

Laney VC-15
wow. just wow.
i really really enjoyed this baby after playing the rocker....(sorry again to all orange people). it was a lot more cooperative, awesome clean channel and it got a great blues chrunch going. the reverb was good too, a bit better than the ac30 if you ask me. well, it has a hi and a lo input, i found the lo input a lot better...the hi was...weird, kinda i dunno not so great. thats why its only second on my list
anyway. cleans: awesome, i did get a great little wing or under the bridge tone going (with a standard strat) and a nice warm humbucker tone with the LP i brought. i got to crank this too, sounded great, nice blues crunch with the pickups dimed.
gain: great too! got up to a medium amount of gain, got to hendrix without a pedal imo. really responsive to the pickup volume too - on 3 it was almost clean, on 10 i got real great gain
concluding: great amp, great price (in europe) - i really wanna try the vc30 and see what it has to offer in competition with the ac30

Vox ac30cc2x
wow, this thing is loud! even clean a lot louder than the rocker to me.
normal channel: amazing. nice and shimmery, some noise when the brillance switch was engaged though, i liked it with the switch off better though, a lot warmer and just nicer. even without a tone control it was easy for me to get a sound i liked (guitar tone control anyone?). cranked (master volume down) - wow! just what i wanted. too loud for bedroom use though
top boost channel: nice, nice, nice. awesome clean sound with the guitar volume rolled down, great growl with the volume rolled up. exactly what i want and need from an amp. the eq switch didnt make a lotta difference to me though
reverb: nice, lush, great reverb. you could really hear that its spring reverb - the laneys was a bit nicer though imo. you really have to watch out what gain setting you use for the reverb...on the lo gain i didnt get any reverb on the clean channel and vice versa.
tremolo: fun thing to have. sounded great but its not really something i expect an amp to have. sweet to play around with though
the master volume is friggin useful (master down, channel volume up = crunch, vice versa= clean and then you have the guitar volume) but i didnt play around with the tone cut thing...just left it centered

all in all - i want that thing. expensive, but worth it imo.

PS woooot! first spam thread!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Mmm nice spam.

Glad you liked the VC15. I really want to try the other two amps they also sound good.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
^yea...i am

its a great amp imo...especially for the money
i was thinkin about getting one instead of an ac30...but then i was like "nah...ac30"

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

good spam. i agree about the vc15- it's really nice on a budget, but the ac30 is nicer, a bit more character. then again, it is about 3 times as much, and the vc15 isn't 3 times worse, so it all depends what you want.

vc30 would be worth a try too- i preferred it to the vc15. a lot of that was doubtless the speaker, though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yea, im still not sure which vc15 i tried...t'was the one with jensens...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^i brought my epi LP classic and tried the laney with a strat also

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^ Nice. I love Laneys great for the price!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ah man, nice spam! I reallllly want to get an AC30!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
^welcome to my world

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

i thought the vc15 only came in a 1x10 jensen version... at least the last time i tried it, it said it was loaded with jensens...

definitely a good idea to try with both singles and hums.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
might have been the 110 then...no idea, didnt say on the amp itself

i had to guess that it was a vc even

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

haha

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, another story, i saw the vc30 212 there....god that thing was HUGE!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^ 2x12 combos are totally colossal, incredibly huge if you've never seen 'em before...
yeah, and then everyone says combos are easier to carry than halfstacks... maybe a lightish 1x12...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
weird thing is..the ac30cc1 and ac30cc2 are almost the same size

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^ Mmm, the amp chassis itself is pretty damn big on those, it only just fits on the CC1 and they only have to expand it a bit for another speaker.

^^ Totally, I doubt I'll ever get a bigger amp than a 1x12, maybe a head + 2x12 but I don't think a 2x12 combo is as practical as you can get exactly...
Actually, tbh i didnt like the Oranges clean channel much, but loved the gain. I didnt think the clean was well "thick enough" for my taste.
Prolly, because cleans pretty much just a input jack and a speaker :P and I was playing it with a squier strat.
But the gain was just an orgasm in a box.

And yerr the vc15 only comes with the 110 with the jensen.

Talking about sizes of amps I saw a Windsor halfstack in dawsons a while ago and almost **** myself at how huge those things are. The head by itself looked as if it weighed the same as my laney :P.
Quote by hendriko
^welcome to my world

haha
If you eventually buy one, you've gotta get/build a treble boost. It's just customary!

Edit: I once tried out this 60's (JMI?) AC-30 pushed with an overdrive and an old Rickenbacker 481. A lot of pants were soiled that day
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
Last edited by add45 at Oct 3, 2007,
you wear several pairs of pants at the same time?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

NO!

>.>

<.<

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

haha

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^there was one there man...but there were like 2 other amps on top of it, and since the controls are on top of it

once i have the dough im gonna tell em to set the vc30 112 and the ac30 112 right next to each other so i can do a head to head comparison

are there any fender amps i should try?

sorry, didnt want it not to be seen

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

blues deluxe or blues/pro junior maybe? but i mean unless you only need cleans, there are just better value options in europe, to be honest...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^good point there...but i thought since the deluxe reverb and the ac30 are the same price over here...well, didnt get to try that one, but i think i woulda liked the ac30 better anyway

EDIT: oh, and the pro junior i already tried....damn, if i had had money that day, it would have been mine

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

yeah, i've never actually tried the pro junior... plenty of shops have them, but i always seem to find something else to try instead... plus a lot of the shops here won't let you crank them, so there's not all that much point... especially on a non-master volume amp, as the PJ is, it'd be a bit like test driving a sports car and being told you can't leave the car park nor go out of first gear...

but yeah, if you're in europe, you need to think like a european... those cheap fender models in the US are actually quite dear here...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^true, true

anyway, whats the best way to "integrate" channel switching on the ac30?

i was thinking a/b box?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

but i want to switch between clean channel and top boost channel

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Oh my god the VC30-212, with a pedal, this thing is just amazing, huge versatility, the cleans are really warm and organic sounding. With the gain on, it does every tone up to and including classic rock. With the pedal, well, depending on the level it's set at it can nail that really raw sounding metal tone, but don't expect any death metal...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by hendriko
^^true, true

anyway, whats the best way to "integrate" channel switching on the ac30?

i was thinking a/b box?

yeah, i think that's supposed to work, don't quote me though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hendriko
but i want to switch between clean channel and top boost channel

I love the sound of the channels blended, so I don't know. I roll off the guitar's volume for cleans, and step on my tube screamer for extra gain.

But an a/b box should work.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
wouldn't an ABY box let you do both? or am i getting confused?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wouldn't an ABY box let you do both? or am i getting confused?

Ha! That's too advanced for me!

I wasn't even thinking a/b/y. The AC30 has a handy switch you hit to blend the channels. I just keep that switch engaged.

But yeah, that should definitely work.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Page 1 of 2