Can anyone explain what intervals are and what they are used for or tell me where i can find out???
I know they have something to do with soloing and major scales and that theres stuff like a minor 6th and major 6th.... but what does it mean.... like if you play a major 5th (if there is such a thing) and then play a minor 6th does that makes sense or are you not supposed to do that.................please explain.......
So your pretty much saying you know absolutely no theory?
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
maybe............ i know what intervals there the distance between notes and they make up the formulas for scales and chords...like major is 1 3 5 and minor is 1 b3 5 but i just dont get the whole perfect fourth **** whats the point to that???????/
Intervals are quite simply the names given to notes in a scale. Do you know the scale of C major?

The notes in that are C D E F G A B C.

C is the root (1st)
D is the major 2nd (2nd note in the major scale)
E is the major 3rd (3rd note in the major scale)
F is the perfect 4th (it's called perfect as it is neither major nor minor - the note is the same in both the scale of C major and C minor)
G is the perfect 5th (same as above explanation)
A is the major 6th (i'm sure you get the picture now)
B is the major 7th
C, here, is the octave.

Does that help? If not, let me know and i'll try to clarify some more.
Well, first off, let's get the definition of intervals.

Interval: Is the space between two notes.

What does this tell you? That all music, is made out of intervals, whilst you play you may or may not be thinking about the major 3 you are playing about, but, it's still a major 3rd and always will be. So intervals are say, your protein, from which you can build your muscles, which is your more complicated music, learning which intervals following which others will sound good, etc.

Well, that's their definition and what they are for. You can find out about them in many places, I don't know any though, at least, I don't know any free online sites, but, there is a book I'm pretty sure you can buy off Amazon called: Music Theory for dummies... no joke or sarcasm, it's meant to be a great beginner theory book...
thanks thta was good but where do you get minor sixths and minor whatever???????

and when you're soloing are you supposed to be like... ok this is F, the perfect fourth so i should play the major sixth now or whatever???? does that make sense???
Quote by ktk182
maybe............ i know what intervals there the distance between notes and they make up the formulas for scales and chords...like major is 1 3 5 and minor is 1 b3 5 but i just dont get the whole perfect fourth **** whats the point to that???????/

3 or more notes played simultaneously is a chord. That's what's confusing you. Interval is just the space between two notes. These, would then make up your different chords, or scales.
Minor? Ok, let's go for A natural minor as that's one is easy.

The notes are A B C D E F G A

A is the root (1st)
B is the major 2nd (I know, a major interval in a minor scale, but that's just the way it is in the natural minor scale)
C is the minor 3rd
D perfect 4th
E perfect 5th
F minor 6th
G minor 7th
A octave

You don't need to think about which intervals you're moving between, you just have to use your ear to hear what sounds good over the chords. Just as long as you use the correct scale for the key you're playing in you'll be fine.

Does that help?
dude, yer a little confused and anxious. first off it seems you want to know how to use intervals rather than learn what intervals are. second you expect a bit much out of intervals, intervals are building blocks of music and you're linking them soloing and key formation, which is not wrong at all, but the relationship is like a cell to a tissue to an organ.

one of yer questions about a 6th note played after a major 5th(perfect 5th btw), is that wrong? no, you'll find in music they have a name for everything, and your suggestion of playing a 6th after a fifth(or maybe even making a diad of the 2 or a making a 1->5->6 progression is so sane that they have names for such things). go ahead look it up somewhere, empower yerself, find out why intervals matter.

intervals and guitar:
-guitar frets are sequentially spaced 1/2 step intervals
-2 fret interval is call a whole step or step
-5 frets is perfect 4th interval
-7 frets is a perfect 5th
-all open notes on a standard tuned guitar are a perfect 4th apart except G->B strings

intervals and major scale
-step, step, 1/2 step, step, step,step, 1/2 step
this is the interval pattern for a major scale

intervals and minor scale
-step, 1/2 step, step, step, 1/2 step, step, step

-if you flatten(bring down 1/2 step) the 3rd, 6th and 7th notes in a major scale you derive a minor scale
-the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th notes of the scale dont change, they are called 'perfect'
-if you sharpen a note 7 times you arrive at the 5th notes of a scale, if you flatten it 7 times you derive the 4th note, both notes are equidistant from the root in theory(but not in *Hz)
-1->4->5 blues progression is based on the strongest sounding of intervals

bottom line is you use intervals for whatever you want, nothing is wrong in any application, your use of intervals will help difine you as a musician. find out the basic shapes of intervals on yer guitar. notice the nuance they have on what your playing and apply those to songs, use them in improvisation to help change moods of the songs.