Page 1 of 2
hey,

im going to get a new amp and so im asking you what do you think is the better amp
im mostly playing metal (metallica, AC/DC, black sabbath, Randy Rhoads, slayer, pantera...) but i also play stuff from Hendrix and the clean parts from metallica
so i want to have a good clean sound too

which one would you take?
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 3, 2007,
Well the 5150 has no real clean but will handle the Metallica and stuff better. But the ENGL has a great Fendery clean channel, but it doesn't get as much gain as the 5150, although it's voiced very modernly and bright. The 5150 is dark.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Try them both out then for sure. See which you like best. If you really need the cleans and lower gain tones more, I'd go for the Screamer and maybe a TS9 or something to tighten it up a bit and get you those tones slightly better. I'd get the 5150 if you can live with having no real cleans to speak of but more gain. IMO, of course
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
pandera? PANDERA?!?
ok, i'm never talking to you again, ever.

but, i'd recommend the ENGL, better overall amp, IMO
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
i would take the ENGL due to the versatility you want. the screamer can easily get to the gain you need, it is a little more modern voiced than some of the things you want but it'll still do it i reckon
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
thanks a lot and do you guys think that there is another good metal-amp in this price range which can take on the engl?
stick with the screamer i'd say. the only other thing i'd try out would be the marshall DSL and TSL but i'd still go with the screamer myself
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
the 5150 will be better for metal, the screamer will have nicer cleans... you'd really need to try them both. laney tt might be worth considering, though it might be over budget. framus have a chinese-made combo (ruby rogue), i haven't tried it, but it might also be worth considering. marshall jvm too? though again that might be over budget...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
red rogue, i think that's the one i meant.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ doesnt really matter. they were discontinued(im sure but could be wrong) on account them being terrible with both tone and reliability.
^^ i haven't tried any framuses... just throwing it out there.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What a coincidence... when I was buying a new amp, it was these amps I was putting up against each other... and the 5150 won. It's all up to preference I guess... and the 5150 has decent cleans if you use some chorus...
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
laney gh50l + 212 is worth throwing out there
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
true.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dickeskind
is the clean tone of the Peavey really useless?

No. I don't see where people are coming from when they say the 5150/6505's clean channel is crap. It really isn't. Sure, there's amps that are better for cleans than it is, but people speaking of its clean channel obviously haven't tried one with a good pair of tubes in it. Stick some JJ Hi-Gains in there and it cleans up the channel quite nice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
chorus/reverb, something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they'll probably be alright, but if you need good cleans, get the engl !
you can't improve bad cleans much...
are you going for a combo or head version?

if you are going for a head, you should also try the engl fireball (great clean and more gain than you'll ever need) i just bought one of those a couple days ago...

I am from Austria too, if you need more info, just pm me.
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by dickeskind
what do you think of this two?

http://www.bossus.com/go/fender/?pid=hpwn

i haven't tried those, but i'd have thought that'd be a bad idea... they're almost like an amp model in a pedal... i'd have thought chorus or reverb would do more good...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok one last question:
im playing 90% harder metal, but i also play stuff from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC and the clean parts from Metallica (of course the hard parts too)
i know that the screamer can handle this but im not sure about the peavey...cause if i can play
Led Zeppelin and AC/DC on the 5150 too, i will probably take the Peavey for it has a better destortion!!!

ah yes since the Peavey has no master-control...can i play the amp at low volume and with a good sound?
the peavey has a master volume- pre-gain is the gain control, while post-gain is the volume. you can get br00talz distortion at low volumes.

you could do ac/dc and zeppelin not too badly on a 5150... its crunch is actually pretty good for a high gainer. cleans (and blues/jazz tones) are the problem. if you only need it rarely, though, a chorus pedal or reverb (or both), or i hear a tube change, could sort that right out.

if you're playing 90% harder metal, i'd definitely be considering the 5150 to be honest. there's no point in getting a worse tone for what you play 90% of the time to get slightly nicer cleans and crunch tones for the 10% of the time you need them...

EDIT: those laneys'd also be worth considering, baz.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the peavey has a master volume- pre-gain is the gain control, while post-gain is the volume. you can get br00talz distortion at low volumes.

you could do ac/dc and zeppelin not too badly on a 5150... its crunch is actually pretty good for a high gainer. cleans (and blues/jazz tones) are the problem. if you only need it rarely, though, a chorus pedal or reverb (or both), or i hear a tube change, could sort that right out.

if you're playing 90% harder metal, i'd definitely be considering the 5150 to be honest. there's no point in getting a worse tone for what you play 90% of the time to get slightly nicer cleans and crunch tones for the 10% of the time you need them...

EDIT: those laneys'd also be worth considering, baz.

thanks dave
always a pleasure to read your texts!!!!
your the main man on this board!!!
tomorrow ill get both amps and ill try them out...fact is that i will both try out with an engl 2x12 standart cab...so lets say that i choose the Peavey- is this a good cab for the top or should i take a Peavey cab?

btw is it possible to play any Hendrix on the Peavey (i've got a jimmy Hendrix pedal-otherwise it would be useless...)
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 4, 2007,
laney might be hard to get and/or expensive in austria at any rate... so yeah.

you're buying the heads, are you? if so, it wouldn't hurt to try as many cabs as you possibly can with both. I'm not the best person in the world with speakers and cabs (far from it) but a cab can make a major difference. Peavey cabs and speakers generally aren't considered to be great, but some people like them. I don't think i've tried the engl standard 2x12, but the vintage 2x12 (the vertical one) is sweet- extremely clear-sounding. Ditto the engl 4x12 vintage. Though you may hate that sound, lol. But yeah, if you want a tight-sounding cab, engl is great (the one with the v30's). you might as well try framus, orange, marshall, etc. cabs depending on what's available there.

As usual, best bet is to try them head to head, in case you like different tones to us...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, new tubes can, and will give better cleans. Read my previous post.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
haha, it was your post i was referring to. i thought you'd made that post in the 5150 thread.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, it was your post i was referring to. i thought you'd made that post in the 5150 thread.

Haha

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
laney gh50l + 212 is worth throwing out there

ok ive tasted the engl standard cap (the fools from engl gave me the wrong top!)
the Laney gh50 (from my local musicstore), and the Peavey5150

the Peavey 5150 is awsome, but has no cleans....every time you try to play a little louder it beginns to crunsh...so sadly nothing for me...although the lead sound was perfect!!!
the engl standard cap has godly cleans, the lead sound was....again great, but the gainsound of the Peavey was better i beliefe...
the Laney's cleans are beatiful as well, though not as good as the Engl, but the lead sound nearly blew me away- the sound is nearly perfect for me...only thing that matters is, that for harder metal the sound is perhaps a little bit tiny...and the model i used is no longer produced..so is there Worthy Successor?

p.s.: again im sorry for my english...
Last edited by dickeskind at Oct 6, 2007,
Page 1 of 2