As stated in the thread title, I need a half stack for shows, I was attracted to the Laney LX120H and LX412A as it has 320 watts and tis £299, but does anyone know how they sound? I would not like to sacrifice sound/tone for power. Anyone know what theyre like? The link below is the amp.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/packages/half_stack/1497-laney_lx120h_and_lx412a_guitar_amplifier_half_stack_package

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Mark
Generally as a rule of thumb, there's no such thing as a CHEAP, good sounding half-stack.

For that amount, try to get a tube combo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
No, you don't

You wouldn't be sacrificing tone for power with that - there wouldn't be much tone there to begin with. Cheap SS half stacks are a plague upon this world... Why exactly do you want a half-stack? You could easily gig with a 30 watt valve combo. How much do you have to spend, and what kind of music do you play.
Why do you need a halfstack? What music do you play?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Maybe he wants a half stack? Though if you're starting out with a nice amp, a combo is cheaper, but once you buy a half stack with a good cab, you always have the cab.
I would not be too optimistic about how it will sound. There actually are a few solid-state stacks that sound pretty good but not in that price range. Looks like an attempt to compete with MG's and Crate Flexwaves. Not a good sign.
The bassist uses a 300 watt half stack, other guitarist uses a 350 watt marshall, my 45 watt amp doesnt quite manage the job :P
People don't take kindly to to SS half stacks on these here forums...

But seriously: a 30-50W tube combo will give you enough power for gigging, and a tone that doesn't make people leave the gigs you play. How about this one: http://www.guitar.co.uk/laney/1482-laney_lc30ii_guitar_amplifier
It won't look as impressive as the halfstack to people who don't know anything about guitars, but it will sound better to everyone with functioning ears.
This would probably be able to keep up with them easily enough. Try it.

But still, how much can you spend and what do you play?
Quote by markonavich
The bassist uses a 300 watt half stack, other guitarist uses a 350 watt marshall, my 45 watt amp doesnt quite manage the job :P
Good god, sound engineers must dread the coming of your band. I mean I can understand high power bass amps, in fact they're necessary, but your other guitarist is a noob. Maybe try a Peavey Valveking?
you dont NEED a half stack.
they take up too much space, are difficult to transport and come in TWO pieces

a 40 watt (valve) or 100 watt (ss) combo will do the trick.

Marshall DSL401?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by 742627000017
Marshall AVT somthning

Don't get one of those.

Get a Valveking, it may well be a budget valve amp but you'll kill your other guitarist with it.
Quote by 742627000017
Marshall AVT somthning

0.o

Honestly, a valve combo would have much better tone at a similar price and easily be loud enough for gigging.

If the other members of your bands have amps putting out that much power, they can just turn them down, you know... You don't have to have everything at 10...
Seriously, I'd just get a valveking 112 or even 212 if you really want it that loud... But 50w tube is overkill, unless your playing like 50k venues or something :P
Quote by HeliuM
Seriously, I'd just get a valveking 112 or even 212 if you really want it that loud... But 50w tube is overkill, unless your playing like 50k venues or something :P
+1, 50w valve is epicly loud.

It's probably even overkill for large venues. I saw Bloc Party play at Reading, over 100k people, and they used Fender Hot Rod Deluxes, 40w valve combos. At any large venue they will mic everyone up anyway.
Okay there have been a couple of recommendations for a Peavy Valveking, would a PV 212 be able to compete with the other 2 amps?
Kayy 300 watt bass amp isnt that much, get your other guitarist to turn the volume down a tad, when at band practice i can easily compete with the other guitarist whose using a 130 watt peavey from the 70s with a 10 watt kustom amp with the magical invention of the VOLUME knob.
+1232132 to anyone who said you dont need a half stack. It's just ridiculous, 30 watt valve is more than enough for a mid-small sized gig, and for the rest you WILL be hooked up to a PA.

Cant say much on the Laney, but that just looks like youre paying for the volume and size.
VC30, LC30 are right up your block. Marshall DSL401, Crate Palomono V32, Fender Hot Rod etc. etc.

Personal opinion, i dont really like the VK, but considering this person has been considering a zillion watt SS halfstack for £300 im sure itd sound like jesus on a plate to him/her.

^ More than enough by far, its VALVE. Itll deafen your entire neighborhood.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 3, 2007,
^^ The Valveking 1x12 would be able to compete and would sound a hell of a lot better...

You need a bit of valve-education:

1) Valve amps sound like they're 2.5x the equivalent SS wattage louder - a a 50w valve amp will be as loud as a 125w SS amp.

2) When SS amps get turned up, they sound like crap. The more a valve amp gets turned up, the better it sounds, and they also cut through a mix better - if you do get to the stage where you have to crank your VK to max (which I very much doubt will happen), your tone will be amazing and you'll be plenty loud enough.

3) Valves, when driven, produce ordered harmonics - Even (2, 4, 6 etc) and Odd (1, 3, 5 etc) order harmonics, which SS (like your friend's crappy Mode4) do not. Therefore they actually produce more tone, so your sound will be warmer, and this is also what makes them louder for their wattage ratings. You will get a warmth and depth of tone which an SS amp won't get and it'll be plenty loud enough.

4) Valve amps plain sound better distorted and clean, as a general rule.
What music do you play?

Quote by Horlicks
Tell your other guitarist to sell his mode four and buy something decent

+1. The Mode Four is probably one of the few amps that I've positively hated after trying out. Hurray 4 modes of crap!

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The VK isn't a particularly good amp..
TS would be better off with a Peavey Classic 30/50 and an OD, in my opinion. For £300, could probably get one used. Match it with a tubescreamer or better and you're going to own the guy with the 350W 'Marshall' (which must be a one off, by the way, I've never seen a 350W edition.).

But, +1 to all of Carrot's valve-education.

EDIT : Ah, I see the 350W Mode Four head. How sickening.
Quote by markonavich
As stated in the thread title, I need a half stack for shows, I was attracted to the Laney LX120H and LX412A as it has 320 watts and tis £299, but does anyone know how they sound? I would not like to sacrifice sound/tone for power. Anyone know what theyre like? The link below is the amp.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/packages/half_stack/1497-laney_lx120h_and_lx412a_guitar_amplifier_half_stack_package

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Mark

It has 120 watts, lol
You don't add together the head and cab watts
Quote by Don_Humpador
The VK isn't a particularly good amp..
TS would be better off with a Peavey Classic 30/50 and an OD, in my opinion. For £300, could probably get one used. Match it with a tubescreamer or better and you're going to own the guy with the 350W 'Marshall' (which must be a one off, by the way, I've never seen a 350W edition.).

But, +1 to all of Carrot's valve-education.

EDIT : Ah, I see the 350W Mode Four head. How sickening.

I agree that there are better amps than the VK, but I thought it'd be easier to persuade him to get a VK, working off his Metallica logo and want for a halfstack alone, than a Tweed C30 or other vintagey amps. With a speaker change the VK really steps up a notch, a valve change works wonders too.

if it MUST be a halfstack, there are a couple of options:

all of these preferably with a different make of speaker cab. framus 2x12 from thomann is probably your best bet on a budget.

peavey valveking
peavey windsor
grainger hammerhead (basically the epi so-cal, but sold for half the price under the grainger name in sound control)
laney gh50L
randall rg50H

those'll be more than £299 too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?