Hey guys, here goes.

I remmember 1 month ago i couldnt play any fast riff song. Trivium, Megadeath, Iron Maiden. Im talking bout the fast songs. And really the only way i learnt how to be able to play that fast is just through taking songs that use similar techniques and you know how it goes.

Now the thing with these songs is their shredding solos. I cant shred, ive watched 1 too many videos about how to shred. Use a metronome and slowly go up. Alot of other numerous exercises.

My question is can i just keep learning songs that happen to be fast and ill eventually be able to shred,or do i just have to use the metronome thing.

Maybe anyone has any other idea.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
Download guitar pro 5

You can slow the song down and slowly build up your speed.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Playing guitar will make you better. Building rhythm chops, even though it's not directly analogous to leads, will improve your ability to shred. Just keep practicing and make sure you use good technique and play clean. Patience helps.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by Marwanbaki
Hey guys, here goes.

I remmember 1 month ago i couldnt play any fast riff song. Trivium, Megadeath, Iron Maiden. Im talking bout the fast songs. And really the only way i learnt how to be able to play that fast is just through taking songs that use similar techniques and you know how it goes.

Now the thing with these songs is their shredding solos. I cant shred, ive watched 1 too many videos about how to shred. Use a metronome and slowly go up. Alot of other numerous exercises.

My question is can i just keep learning songs that happen to be fast and ill eventually be able to shred,or do i just have to use the metronome thing.

Maybe anyone has any other idea.

in all honestly, i learned to 'shred' without using a metronome...pick a song that you know that is really 'shreddy'. look at the solo and just play the notes slowly, a metronome might help but i just slow it down in my head and try it out...get your fingers used to the spreads, gaps, and such. then when you aren't playing, just take your guitar when you are watching tv and keep on getting the finger moving. i did that with the crazy ''walk with me in hell' intro thing. just keep on playing it over and over again. soon your fingers will get used to the placement.

i hope this helps you, and if it doesnt just email me or message me on this thing and i will try my best to help you
Just keep playing. You won't magically be able to play anything when you pick up a guitar, you must remember the tracks you're listening to were recorded by pro musicians. Practice makes perfect.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Practice practice. Chromatics, triplets, **** like that. Faster songs and techniques just take practice, usually if I learn to play a song it starts off me sounded off rhythm or not quick enough at parts, but a week or two later I can play it fine.

Just keep at it.
Thanks alot guys, ill keep that in mind.

I guess ill do some metronome exercises though as well as learning fast songs. =p
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
Quote by DragonFlame1990
in all honestly, i learned to 'shred' without using a metronome..

I'd really like to hear your "shredding"!

A metronome is the single most critical practice tool. If you don't know how to use
one and actually work with it, you will not have any rhythmic precision in your
playing. Not only will you have a hard time playing to a real beat, but you'll have
a real hard time improving your speed.

A metronome is not a stopwatch. It's like a ruler. You use it to tell if you're hitting
the beat exactly -- not a little before, not a little after. You're kidding yourself if
you think you can do that without one. It's precisely being able to do that at
slower tempos that will allow you to move up in speed. A drum machine is a
second best option, but even that doesn't provide the precise feedback you
really need as well as a steady click track.

There aren't any "alternatives" or short cuts to playing faster. Every short cut
I've ever tried either prevents you from your goals or takes much longer than just
doing it right in the first place.
Big mistake is going to fast with the metronome. Go slowly and build up muscle memory at a slow speed and then speed up to a moderatly slow speed and so on.
Before I learned to sweep pick I just kept slow sweeping till my fingers could literally do that in my sleep. It really helped alot.
I'm not sure there's an alternative to practice.

Unless you take the red pill...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You need to to play the song a lot at slow speed, don't make any mistakes cos that will be hard to get out afterwards! Just play until you don't need a tab to play it, then go faster and faster and faster. Can take a while though!