Okay, currently I'm saving up for a new guitar. It'll probably be your basic ESP/Ibanez/Jackson with hot pickups and maybe a LFR/OFR/Pro bridge.

Afterwards, I would like to buy a MUCH better amp.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Peavey Windsor to death. It sounds wonderful. But can you blame me for wanting the likes of a VHT, THD, Soldano, etc.? No, you can't.

So, after I drop probably about $500 for a new guitar, I'll be saving for the big hall: a nice, high end tube amp.

Budget: I'm willing to go up to about $2,000 for the head. Don't worry about the cabinet. This price stands for used or new heads. Go ahead and recommend combo amps if you want (more on this later).

Home Use: At home I play just about everything. Sometimes I play slam death metal, sometimes I play blues. Sometimes I play swing or funk. It just depends, I do whatever I want musically (that probably sounds soooo stuck up). However, when I play at home, I don't really worry about the quality of the tones that badly, as long as it sounds semi-slam death metal-y or somewhat shimmery it's fine.

Gigging Use: Currently I'm kicking around a couple metal bands: one that's thrashy and the Windsor is great for that because I can get that crunchy British tone. The other is more of a slam death metal band, the Windsor can't really get these tones too easily so I normally use my Behringer for that *cuts*. Both of these bands are pretty early in their life, and I'm getting offers to play in bands ranging from emo, to pop-funk (think Maroon 5), to P&W. I'm a serious musician, so every offer I get I take seriously.

Recording Use: I have a solo project in which I record pop punk songs. This isn't that important, and most of the time the recording use will require similar tones to those listed in gigging use.

Preferences: I HEART mids. I don't do that silly scooping crap that the pseudo-metal kids are doing now-a-days. I scoop the mids on my Windsor, but that's because the Windsor = mids. Plus, my Weber speakers emphasize low-mids, so obviously I'm gonna scoop the mids out a bit. I like really, really tight bass. Dual Rectifiers and Kranks are way too loose for my liking. I personally think that the explosive bass is the bass player's responsibility.

Okay.
Now that you know everything you'll ever need to ask about, start throwing me some recommendations.

I have another idea too. I've seriously been considering buying a high-end modeler and an Atomic amp. Is this a good idea?

Thanks very much for your help.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

At your budget, discard the modeller idea. You have a heck of a lot of choices, all you can really do is try out loads. You have to try hard to get a bad amp for that money.

Look into Framus, Bogner, Splawn, ENGL, Diezel, Soldano. I think the Bogner Ecstasy has a lot of mids, I've hear it described as the perfect hot rodded JCM800. Splawn are basically hot rodded Marshalls. Framus Cobra or Dragon are also worth a look, very nice amps. Not sure if you'll have to go used on any of that but get yourself around the shops and try out everything you find, thats half the fun of buying an expensive amp
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Thats a nice budget to play with you must go full valve! Right, you may not be a fan, you either love them or hate them, but try a MESA MARK IV, some people claim them to be the -ultimate- amp, with incredible tone and versatility. Might be your dream amp, might not be, its all opinion. Also try out a Diezel VH4, again, a very highly respected amp. Also give an Orange Thunderverb a shot, cant hurt!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by Axeman99
At your budget, discard the modeller idea. You have a heck of a lot of choices, all you can really do is try out loads. You have to try hard to get a bad amp for that money.

Look into Framus, Bogner, Splawn, ENGL, Diezel, Soldano. I think the Bogner Ecstasy has a lot of mids, I've hear it described as the perfect hot rodded JCM800. Splawn are basically hot rodded Marshalls. Framus Cobra or Dragon are also worth a look, very nice amps. Not sure if you'll have to go used on any of that but get yourself around the shops and try out everything you find, thats half the fun of buying an expensive amp

+1 on the Frami.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
For everything you need, I'd say a Mesa Mark IV. It does pretty much everything as good or better than most amps that I've heard. There are other better amps for individual applications, but all-around, the Mark IV won't disappoint. Also, if you're gigging, it's easy to schlep around.
I haven't tried a Framus, though, & everything I've heard about them has been great.
Diezels would likely be too expensive, even used, & are more difficult to dial in tones with than a Mark IV (for me anyway!).
I have a Soldano SLO 100, & it's very versatile, actually, & has the tighter low end. It would be worth trying one, but it may be too pricy also. Same for a VHT (the Pittbull is voiced fairly similar to an SLO).
The Engls I've tried seemed to be voiced somewhere between an SLO & Dual Recto.
I hope this helps at least a little!
Good luck!

PS- Try everything you can, & BE PATIENT. DON'T BUY THE FIRST THING THAT SOUNDS GREAT!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Bump?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I personally love my XT live and Atomic 112 setup but its not a true tube setup and it shows as there are times when i will hate the remaining digtalness of the sound. its almost like a mix of the two. imagine a nice rounded tuby sound thats has that digital fuzz mixed in as well. You can loose the digital part of the signal with very carefull EQing.

Its all good but I would advise going all tube if you can, problem is you wont get the versitility of the modeler with a single tube amp.

What I have done is purchase a rackmount tube preamp to run into the Atomic and the results are very very good plus it allows me to get a poweramp at some point to run through the 4x10 cab from my old solid state half stack. At which time il have one rig for home practice(Atomic + XT/future X3) and a all tube live rig.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
<3 the Mark IV. With your price range i'd probably go a Mark IV or a GH100L. The Laney is quite cheap (but still sounds top notch) so you'd have more to spend on other things.
I've actually played a Framus Cobra before, and it blew my mind right out of the back of my head. It was amazing. This has been my dream amp for a while, and it's obviously on my list.

Also, the lead guitarist at my current church uses a Mark IV combo and he can do more or less anything with it, so that's on the list too.
Here's my list so far:
Framus Cobra
Mesa Mark IV
Orange Thunderverb
VHT Deliverance 60
Soldano Avenger
Randall RM100M2
THD Flexi-50
VHT G-50-CL Pittbull
Engl Screamer
Engl Powerball

Anymore?

Last edited by Unskathed at Oct 4, 2007,
just to add to your list, there are a couple amps coming out that might be worth a look if you're not in a hurry. VHT is coming out with the Sig X, supposedly the lead is voiced like a deliverance, only it's got 3 channels, and modes/boosts for each channel. Looks very promising, and it's only getting praise from people that have played it.

Also, Splawn is coming out with the Nitro this month, which also sounds completely badass from all the clips/vids I've heard. Like a more saturated, articulate, thicker powerball are the descriptions from people that have tried it. That's a tall order, lol. If you go to the Splawn site, and go on their forum, there are a few threads with vid clips in the Nitro section.

edit: also check out Mako Amplification too. Check out the Dorado clips. He just came out with a new amp, the Mak2, basically the Dorado with a clean channel.
http://www.makoamplification.com/sounds.htm

All three are around 2k new.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 4, 2007,
Quote by Cofflecakes
A Randall MTS with a bunch of different modules could suit you well

Randall RM100M2

That's one of the Randall's with the modules.

I also forgot to mention the Ruetz J1.
My high school algebra teacher Mr. Ruetz just so happens to have a big brother who makes amps.
http://www.ruetzamps.com/

They sound very promising...hand-made, boutique. Etc.
Also, what about smaller, all hand-made brands? Does anyone know of small companies like that?

Quote by Unskathed
Randall RM100M2

That's one of the Randall's with the modules.

I also forgot to mention the Ruetz J1.
My high school algebra teacher Mr. Ruetz just so happens to have a big brother who makes amps.
http://www.ruetzamps.com/

They sound very promising...hand-made, boutique. Etc.
Also, what about smaller, all hand-made brands? Does anyone know of small companies like that?

haha sorry dude, its 2am and I have food poisoning, give me a break

You can probably get a boutique amp, or something custom made for 2k