I was just wondering, why does everyone use 2 pieces of wood and glue them together? Can't you just use 1 piece?
Whats the advantages/disadvantages?
Well if everyone does it then there are no alternatives and no advantages or disadvantages, so what's your question?
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Multiple pieces save on wood costs, buying a big slab is more expensive than lots of little slabs. The multiple-piece bodies are also more environmentally friendly because of that.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Multiple pieces save on wood costs, buying a big slab is more expensive than lots of little slabs. The multiple-piece bodies are also more environmentally friendly because of that.

Wurd...and also, i have never found a single piece of wood that is that wide. Usually i buy my alder, ash, or maple 6"-8"wide and i cut them and glue from there.
Ha. I guess thats true. Well I'd rather buy one whole piece tbh. Less work messin about gluing. Anyway I'll see what the shop have in when I go take a look. Thanks.
Gluing a 2 peice body gives you a centre line to reference while building.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i got a mahogany tele body out of one chunk and i just about have enough to get another one out of the same peice neeed about an inch more. free wood to!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
certain woods (most maples and a lot of woods in general) look better book matched, assuming its properly done, makes the guitar look even, assuming you are just staining it
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
^ Not really. Bookmatched woods refer to two pieces of figured wood that are pretty much mirror images of each other arranged so they are more visibly appealing.
Figured woods like flamed maple, or quilted maple aren't quite as consistent physically regular maple. More pieces of wood in a neck is what gives the neck added stability.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by ownagesbot
Ha. I guess thats true. Well I'd rather buy one whole piece tbh. Less work messin about gluing.
You can purchase two piece body blanks already glued up so there doesn't have to be any increase in work.

Regards,

Rob