Anyone have any experience with this one? It's specs seem to be amazing for a $400 guitar. I'm looking for something with a LP kind of sound, after a few days of research this seems to be the closest thing, dual humbuckers, mahogany body with set neck and maple top. If I change the hardware, and perhaps the pups (which get great reviews already) I should have a pretty decent instrument, no?

link> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RGX520FZ-Electric-Guitar?sku=519043

Of course you might start recommending epi lp's instead, but I don't like the fact that you don't know if the body is mahogany or alder or some gruesome mix.
I played a little lower priced model, very similar. It doesn't sound like a LP. The neck was really good, could have used a little minor fret smoothing at the ends. Pickups were fine, not noisy and enough power. Workmanship on the body where the strings come through was a little shoddy. It felt pretty light and comfortable. It may not be a bad guitar but I would advise shopping around a little more.
The Epis supposedly went back to all mahogany, but I wouldnt trust them either. If you are looking for a LP sounding guitar also check Micheal Kelly Patriot, Ibanez ARC100-300, Agiles (Rondo Music.)
In my personal opinion, it's a very nice guitar out of the box. I work next to a little Yamaha shop, and I go out and play these guitars at times. The RGX guitars have a great feel, I can't say much about long-term hardware reliability, but at a glance everything inspires confidence. The only downside, I think they're made in Taiwan.

I believe they sell the RGX520 for $599 next to me, so at that price it seems like a great deal.

Edit: ^ yeah, it won't give a very LP-ish tone, it's much thinner and has less wood in it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
In my personal opinion, it's a very nice guitar out of the box. I work next to a little Yamaha shop, and I go out and play these guitars at times. The RGX guitars have a great feel, I can't say much about long-term hardware reliability, but at a glance everything inspires confidence. The only downside, I think they're made in Taiwan.

I believe they sell the RGX520 for $599 next to me, so at that price it seems like a great deal.

Edit: ^ yeah, it won't give a very LP-ish tone, it's much thinner and has less wood in it.

+1. The hardware however seems nice on the ones I've tried. However, if its one of the ones with the barrel tuners, they are a pain in the ass because you can't use string winders on them. Otherwise, they play and sound sweet, but its not a Les Paul sound. The AES series does that better.