I had a music theory class today, and we need to be able to identify ascending diatonic intervals, starting on the root note of a major scale, ie Root - Perfect fourth, or Root - Maj 7 etc.

And the way we've been told to help memorise it is to think of a song that starts on the interval, for example

Root - Root could be Twinkle Twinkle,
Root - Perfect Fourth could be Auld Lang Syne/Amazing Grace

However, the

Root - Maj 6 is a hard one, and same with Root - Maj 7 (infact, my lecturer said find a song that starts with root Maj 7 hed give them £50), so I instinctivly came to UG for help, coz im sure theres songs out there that open with these intervals.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers
Major 7... Somewhere Over the Rainbow I believe... Could be an octave, I don't remember the song that well.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
m2-jaws theme
M2-first two notes of major scale
m3-lullaby and goodnight
M3-forgot
p4-here comes the bride
p5-power chord
m6-forgot
M6-forgot
m7-forgot
M7-Maria from west side story
octave-somewhere over the rainbow

that's all i remember
for a major 6th My Way is good, the "And now" for the interval.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
for a major 6th My Way is good, the "And now" for the interval.

I remember when you did that in the music quiz bit, we tooks ages. Only the melody line does the M6th interval, not the whole guitar line, remmeber that before you get confused

And for an easy £50 wouldnt it be easy to write your own song?
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
I remember when you did that in the music quiz bit, we tooks ages. Only the melody line does the M6th interval, not the whole guitar line, remmeber that before you get confused

It wouldn't have taken ages if people knew the song, rather than me having to find a guitar tab of the melody.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.