Ok, so I learned e minor pentatonic, and all five boxes, and I can improve solos with it. I was just wondering what scales I should learn now. I play mostly blues and RHCP type rock

thanks
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
you can edit your posts, so don't double post.
Really if all you play is blues and blues/funk based rock all you need is the pentatonic.
Most players you listen probably stick to pentatonics.
If however you want to sound different try learning the diatonic scales and learn how to use them.
Yeah, but I would like to experiment with other things you know?

And what pentatonics should I learn, or should I just learn all of them?

BTW what scales mostly did SRV, Jimi Hendrix and john Frusciante use, cuss thats basically the stuff I play.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Quote by biohazardist

BTW what scales mostly did SRV, Jimi Hendrix and john Frusciante use, cuss thats basically the stuff I play.

Pentatonic, major and minor.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
and some modes, like mixolyidian, dorian, and natural minor (aeolian)
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
The minor pentatonic in every key. To be honest you should NEVER approach learning scales by specific keys, just learn the scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The minor pentatonic in every key. To be honest you should NEVER approach learning scales by specific keys, just learn the scale.

it's fine if you're just starting out, I mean it makes sense to learn the C major and A Minor scales first since they don't contain accidentals. Then you have that to fall back on for the scale formulas if you forget them.
could someone give me a tab of the harmonic minor, and any other good scales/modes for metal
Up the Punx!
harmonic minor is, in relation to the major scale, 1, 2, 3b, 4, 5, 6b, 7, 1(8)
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
E harmonic minor

----------------------------------------------11-12-
---------------------------------10-12-13-----------
-------------------8-9-11-12------------------------
----------7-9-10------------------------------------
-7-9-10---------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Diatonic scales.

Ionian (major)- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Phrygian- 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian- 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Myxolydian- 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian (minor)- 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian- 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

In the key of C Major, they would all include the notes C D E F G A B, the order depending on which mode you are playing in. , Major would start on C, Dorian on D, Phrygian on E and so on. Which mode you are playing in is not determined by the root note, but the backing chords. If you play a C major chord, if you play in a position of Phrygian, it will sound just like C Major because they have the exact same notes. However, if you would play an E Minor chord under it, the Phrygian feel would come out.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Oct 4, 2007,
Learn the scale you think sounds coolest.

The first scale I ever learned was the blues scale.. Then I learned the Major Scale...

After that, I learned some Arabian and Turkish scales because I like the sound of middle eastern music.

HOWEVER... I think everyone should know the major scale, or at least know what notes they are playing

As for what key? It doesn't matter.. So long as you know what the root note is, you can move a scale around anywhere and know what key you are in....

The guitar is like a piano without a distinction between black and white keys... Just remember that there isn't a "black key" between E and F or B and C.