i have some Q's guys:

im not really liking the stock tubes that came with my Crate v18. theyre kinda harsh and sort of muffled or something.

im looking at EL84's, and it says on the tube guide thread that JJ's seem to be the best. so i like to change mine to JJ's.

my Q's are:
1 - il be ordering the tubes online, so i need to get a matched pair right?

2 - also, do i need to rebias it? it says on the manual that the tubes that came with it are cathode biased.

3 - when i change those EL84's, do i need to change the preamp tubes too?

4 - is it possible for me, a virgin with regards to these things, to change the tubes myself?

thanks
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
TAD EL84!
http://www.dougstubes.com/el84.html

1 - They have options for matched pairs.

2 - I can't remember. Search for "cathode bias" in the GGA, and set it to show posts, and something should turn up here.

3 - Nah. Changing the preamp tubes would be great for your tone, as well. Tung-Sol is a great preamp tube, by most people's accounts. I'll be ordering some later this month.

4 - Not sure how Crate V18's bias work...soo...I'll let someone else answer this.
alright, thanks.

TAD tubes, eh? il take a look at the site. i hope they ship to Canada. o btw, how are Mullard tubes?

i did a search for cathode bias, and a couple of people say that its some sort of "self-biasing" or all i have to do is plug and play. can anyone confirm this, please?

hhhmmm... i think i might just let a tech do the tube replacing for me. the tubes are located right under the control knobs. im gonna have to remove the top-back panel to get there.

sorry if i may sound stupid, im just careful, coz i know i wont have money to replace my amp if i ever break it or so...
Jong

If it's cathode bias, then no you won't have to rebias it, although you could play around with the bias if you wanted to. Unless you have no thumbs or something I see no reason why you couldn't change them on your own. You just pop them in and out. Personally while your at you might as well change the preamp tube if it's something cheap.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Oct 3, 2007,
i see. alright. thanks. so if i change those preamp tubes, do i have anything to worry about? or do i just pop them in like the power tubes?
Jong

alrighty. thanks. i just ordered a matched pair of JJ EL84's, and il order Tung-sol 12ax7's now.

all i need to do now is wait till i get them and the part where i remove the back panel and install them. wish me luck.
Jong

The v18, the black one, right? It's cathode biased, just swap em out for a matched pair.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
yeah, the new one. i took it coz it seems like a good deal. got it for $300, so its like a hundred off.

the negative side is, not many own it (i think im the only one with it right now in UG )

il do a review on this when i get enough play time on it (only had it for 3 weeks)
Jong