Well i am buying a new amp i started playing guitar about 6 months ago and i am tired of my crappy frontman 15g, so i need some suggestions on an amp to buy. I like to play metal like metallica, megadeth, pantera, etc... but i also want it to be versatile to be able to play some classic rock. I have 350 bucks to spend and i want it to be between 40-100 amps. I dont want it to be a little 4 watt tube amp. I was thinking of a peavey envoy. Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you.
Maybe the Peavey Valveking. nice for the price. or a crate 15W palomino tube. its good, and loud enough
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Crate Palominos are good. Enough gain on their own to play some good classic rock, and with an OD pedal or more cranking (i didnt crank it too much....GC was kinda crowded), it should be able to get some more gain. And they look rather retro as well, with the white Tolex and the gold accents. $350 wont get u much as far as good sound, especially tubes, and the Crate is about as good as u can get for $350 or less. $400 can get u a Peavey Windsor combo, but otherwise, ur outta luck rly.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Oct 3, 2007,
Get a Spider III 75W. Should be around that price, probably $311.99 CDN @ Long and McQuade. They have effects like clean, metal, insane and what not. Also this phaser setting. You'll have to try it out in the music store to see if you like it. My friend has one, I love it, so doe he.
Don't get a Line 6 spider they suck.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by iTzMaTT
Get a Spider III 75W. Should be around that price, probably $311.99 CDN @ Long and McQuade. They have effects like clean, metal, insane and what not. Also this phaser setting. You'll have to try it out in the music store to see if you like it. My friend has one, I love it, so doe he.

ZOMG A PHASER SETTING?!?! Don't listen to this guy, because Spider III amps are generally terrible. I'd definitely go for a Peavey Valveking or a Roland Cube. Both are good for that price range, and both suit your needs perfectly.
Roland Cube 60... perfect for 350 (exactly). loud enough for most gigs... NO SPIDER III
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
used peavey classic 30 or palomino.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
^The peavey classics are amazing amps, but it really can't cover metal very well.
Go used, I saw this one randall 50 watt, it was a 1x12, and it had sweet distortion, but cleans enough to make you vomit. But... 400 bucks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i like my Line 6 once i got it dialed in...everyone here says they suck but everywhere else people love them hmm....try one out you may like it....there not bad at all for the low price got mine for $98 shipped new....good luck....
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
I'm very glad you know that Spiders are not good, it means I don't have to explain it

A Crate Palomino V16 like zanz1bar said is your best bet. But, as with anything, make sure you try it out first.
Quote by madman300
I have 350 bucks to spend and i want it to be between 40-100 amps.

That would be a lot of amps... You would have to buy little 3 dollar ones from WalMart.

I think you mean watts.

Well at your price range, try some smaller tube amps. 15 watts in a tube amp sounds almost as loud as 40 watts solid state.
And you'll get better tone.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20