I honestly suck with picking on the bass, but i play a lot of metal, so should i practice picking more? Will it be signifigantly faster than fingers?
I personally prefer the sound of bass being played with your fingers, however if you dont think it's worth spending alot of time training them then just use a pick, save ya self the hassle
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I've found that the heavier picks work well for me, but that is more of a personal choice. I would say go down to your local guitar store, try a few different ones and perhaps even buy a wide variety (that's what I did when I first started pick training) then play with each one a bit. Once you have done that, you should have a good feeling for which picks you prefer.
it totally depends on what u want, different pick thickneses result in different sounds as they interact with the strings differently. Personally I prefer fingers bu it depends on what you want, as both result i ndifferent sounds...oh and some metal Bassists also use fingers but yeah like mentioned above just try a vaiety of sizes out and see what feels best for you
Last edited by Mihyaeru at Oct 3, 2007,
i personally use my fingers, just because it means you can FEEL the strings - using a pick means you can accidently pluck the wrnog string without knowing it

if you do any fast-picking on your bass use your fingernail :P works a treat :P lol

but at the end of the day - its personal preference
I prefer fingers to pick any day, its just that, almost all of the metal bands i listen to have thier bassists use a pick, so i was wondering if their is a major speed advantage with using a pick.... im decent speed with my fingers, but if a pick is like 3x as fast, i would try to make a switch.
I use fingers on most songs but if I have to play a lot of fast notes in a song I pull out a pick. I really prefer fingers though and it would probably be worth it for you to learn to play fast with your fingers if that's a lot of what you play.
Quote by kaossurge
I prefer fingers to pick any day, its just that, almost all of the metal bands i listen to have thier bassists use a pick, so i was wondering if their is a major speed advantage with using a pick.... im decent speed with my fingers, but if a pick is like 3x as fast, i would try to make a switch.

It's faster, but only marginally, IMO.

Plenty of metal bassists play with fingers and are very fast: Steve DiGiorgio, Alex Webster, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Billy Sheehan (kinda hair metal, but you get the idea), etc.
Yeah, I use my fingers personally, and I don't see why you're using a pick. It really doesn't matter if other metal bassists are using a pick or not.

Just to say. I don't know how to use a pick
I tried, and i failed terribly,
I use pic and fingers for metal but i do prefer my fingers. Its fully up to you tho what ever you find easist. There are no set rules for playing be different :P
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
I play lots of metal and I use both pick and fingers, depends on the song, if you're going to play just death and thrash metal, stick to using your fingers but anything using tremolo like black metal, learn to pick.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Picks are alright I rather use my fingers because I can play fast and i get a heavy sound when I play and I like that.
I use both.

Some times I wanna use a pick, other times fingers.

I can't commit to anything.
try practicing with both actively, like Rob Trujillo =) i switch between pick and fingers often, since im into a large variety of music. Im pretty adept with a pick, but i still have a well developed 3 finger technique. I dont believe you necessarily have to choose one or the other - they are both equally useful tools for achieving your goals and tone choices as a musician
could the ug mods or what ever please like, advertise NO PICK/FINGER THREADS PLEASE!! seriously, like the way the bands and artist page has that 'strictly no blink 182 threads!'
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
play with 3 fingers like myung... or 2 like lepond, but I am always wondering: does lepond sometimes use a pick? or does he just acts that he uses a pick sometimes and than hits the strings with his nails?
Anyone else have that creepy deja vu feeling?

Quote by CBurtonIsKing
try practicing with both actively, like Rob Trujillo =) i switch between pick and fingers often, since im into a large variety of music. Im pretty adept with a pick, but i still have a well developed 3 finger technique. I dont believe you necessarily have to choose one or the other - they are both equally useful tools for achieving your goals and tone choices as a musician

He's got a good point. Each has it's own advantages and distinct tone. By choosing to play with just your fingers or a pick you limit yourself and your music. As a bass player, I believe you should learn both techniques. At this point I should mention the search bar. There are loads of these threads, and no ones saying anything that hasn't already been said like five times. Myself included.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

it doesn't matter wheather u should use fingers or pick there's no difference in speed as much as u think it even sometimes goes the other way [or at least for me] as for myself if have starting using picks but have later found out
that not just fingering is faster but my tapping hand became faster after using fingers too [it's strange but it's true] so trust me use whatever style that u want don't force your self into using picks if u don't feel like it, it won't matter
i use fingers 90% of the time and pick around 10% i like the speed and sound of the pick for certian songs. its good to be adept at playing all styles of bass. So i guess i recommend both